Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Poor bi-xeon headlamps please help!!!!

Views : 638

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2018, 22:59   #1
Mdl350

Default Poor bi-xeon headlamps please help!!!!

Hello guys I am new here and looking for some help I have a 2007 volvo v70 d5 awd that has the factor bi-xeon headlamps fitted.
But when I drive at night on roads with no street lights the headlamps are awful I can hardly see were I am going this is what I have tried so far to correct the problem, I have replaced both headlamp bulbs on dip beam with oem bulbs as this is were the problem is main beam is fine I have had the headlight aline ment checked all ok also had the both headlamp lens refurbished due to sun light had got to the so far the only thing that made a small difference is the lens being refurbished.
I have heard of being able to replace the projector housing on some volvo headlamps and also stripping them down and cleaning has helped.
But I can't find any info about this on the factory bi-xeon
Has anybody else had this problem? And is there any helpful fixes for this. Thanks Mark.
Mdl350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 23:19   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Sounds like your headlights are aimed too low. My 2008 S60 xenons were aimed far too low (ie the illumination only went a short distance from the car, meaning at night I couldnt see anything.

Watch this and it shows you how to raise the angle of the beams, once raised they are MUCH MUCH better.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 08:00   #3
Mdl350

No its is not this it has been checked by an mot station and they have even adjusted it so it's on the upper limits any higher it would fail an mot.
One other thing I have notice if you have the headlamps on and stand in front of the car and get down to the same level as the light output you can stare straight into the headlamp with out it hurting your eyes this can't be right I have a mitsubishi with halogen projector lamps and I can't do that on there but on the volvo they seem so dim I have tried oem hid bulbs and also an aftermarket bulb and neither make any difference they both seem very dim.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 12:49   #4
jnmonaghan

Mark, If you can't find a fix for your headlight problem, you can buy replacement headlights from - Skandix.- Maybe worth checking out what FRF Volvo in Swansea would charge or your local Volvo dealer.

Jude
jnmonaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 13:43   #5
jasmith44
jasmith44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdl350 View Post
No its is not this it has been checked by an mot station and they have even adjusted it so it's on the upper limits any higher it would fail an mot.
One other thing I have notice if you have the headlamps on and stand in front of the car and get down to the same level as the light output you can stare straight into the headlamp with out it hurting your eyes this can't be right I have a mitsubishi with halogen projector lamps and I can't do that on there but on the volvo they seem so dim I have tried oem hid bulbs and also an aftermarket bulb and neither make any difference they both seem very dim.
I would hazard a guess and say it seems to be short of voltage at the bulbs.I may be way off though.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 20:29   #6
Simon Jones
Premier Member

There's a ballast unt which produces the 20,000 or so volts required to ignite the lamp and then it drops to around 80 V when running. If these are past their best then you may get a reduced output.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 20:38   #7
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

This is what mine look like when you turn them on... If you have xenons the bulbs should increase in brightness after a few seconds... they 'warm up'.

Are yours doing this?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 23:47   #8
Mdl350

Hi guys so an update the voltages have all been checked and also short circuits and poor grounds been checked and tested all ok. The ballests have been replaced as well but still no difference if the bulb is out of the headlamp and switched on you can't even look at them or even near them they are so bright but when in the head lamps they seem so dim. And yes they do brighten up after a couple of seconds of being on too. Your lights look so much brighter then mine :-(
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 19:33   #9
bkulcsar

Your projectors might be burned out. Try to replace them. Have a look at Morimoto projectors.
bkulcsar is offline   Reply With Quote