Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High (circa 1500 rpm) idle, D5 185.

Views : 8062

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2014, 00:07   #1
Lancee
Premier Member

Default High (circa 1500 rpm) idle, D5 185.

V70 D5 2005 facelift, 185 engine. (Also posted in the general section).
When started the idle speed sits steady at around 1500 rpm, accelerator pedal when pressed works beyond the usual relative 1500 rpm position (possible to rev higher).

I have discovered that when at (1500) idle, if the brake pedal is pressed and held down repeatedly the revs will gradually reduce to the correct normal idle level, removing foot from brake pedal and the idle revs gradually increase back to 1500, it is possible to briefly use accelerator across the complete usual range (if quick enough before revs creep back up!).

I have also discovered that disconnection of the brake pedal position sensor (on the back of the servo) results in the correct steady idle speed, but the accelerator pedal does not then respond at all.

The car has previously had a replacement throttle pedal position sensor fitted.

As a layman I am suspecting a vacuum issue. The following are all related;
1=vacuum pump
2=power brake booster
3=VNT governor
4=engine pads
5=solenoid valve
6=engine speed (rpm) sensor
7=engine control module
8=brake control module

I have checked (felt suction with my finger!) for vacuum at usual idle revs by removing the front engine mount pad vacuum pipe, the vacuum (correctly) disappears at this point when the revs rise again (back to 1500).

I do fortunately have a ppc code reader, there are never any relevant codes found. (I do have a faulty reversing sensor, nearside door mirror and air quality sensor, these are the only codes that ever show up).

I hope this all makes sense, perhaps someone of the "CLANmeisters" ilk can shed some light ! Thanks in anticipation!
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2014, 00:30   #2
5cilinder
Premier Member

I had the high idle after hard braking with ABS correction only to dissappear after shutting down for a while
At first it was every time after braking with ABS now its becoming rare
Vacuum seems to be ok (guessing because of working mounts )
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2014, 03:10   #3
5cilinder
Premier Member

I had the high idle after hard braking with ABS correction only to dissappear after shutting down for a while
At first it was every time after braking with ABS now its becoming rare
Vacuum seems to be ok (guessing because of working mounts )
Old May 5th, 2014, 11:02   #4
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
V70 D5 2005 facelift, 185 engine. (Also posted in the general section).
When started the idle speed sits steady at around 1500 rpm, accelerator pedal when pressed works beyond the usual relative 1500 rpm position (possible to rev higher).

I have discovered that when at (1500) idle, if the brake pedal is pressed and held down repeatedly the revs will gradually reduce to the correct normal idle level, removing foot from brake pedal and the idle revs gradually increase back to 1500, it is possible to briefly use accelerator across the complete usual range (if quick enough before revs creep back up!).

I have also discovered that disconnection of the brake pedal position sensor (on the back of the servo) results in the correct steady idle speed, but the accelerator pedal does not then respond at all.

The car has previously had a replacement throttle pedal position sensor fitted.

As a layman I am suspecting a vacuum issue. The following are all related;
1=vacuum pump
2=power brake booster
3=VNT governor
4=engine pads
5=solenoid valve
6=engine speed (rpm) sensor
7=engine control module
8=brake control module

I have checked (felt suction with my finger!) for vacuum at usual idle revs by removing the front engine mount pad vacuum pipe, the vacuum (correctly) disappears at this point when the revs rise again (back to 1500).

I do fortunately have a ppc code reader, there are never any relevant codes found. (I do have a faulty reversing sensor, nearside door mirror and air quality sensor, these are the only codes that ever show up).

I hope this all makes sense, perhaps someone of the "CLANmeisters" ilk can shed some light ! Thanks in anticipation!
FURTHER TO THE ABOVE, I now notice that the electric cooling fan runs immediately at high speed after the engine starts (from both stone cold and hot starts) under all of the above conditions.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 22:14   #5
5cilinder
Premier Member

Can be 2 different causes
If the engine is shut off very hot and is running the fan and abruptly shut off it sometimes completes a cyclus by running after starting

Also if the aircon pressure is on the low side it can cause the fan to start up after starting even if the aircon is not on
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:57   #6
Tapani

Default read DTCs to get a hint

Hi, I would start with reseting all DTCs and after a while reading the new ones in order to get a hint where to look at.
As You write it migth be a vacum issue, to my understanding pressing the brakes down influence the engine mounting vacum? control. Engine mountings are a known weak point in these as they get more miles.
br Tapsa
Tapani is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tapani For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 19:40   #7
Hurm0s

Have you found out what is the problem?

My D5 is having exactly the same issues.
Hurm0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 18:28   #8
jvcooper

Default hard braking fast idle

Mine did exactly the same today after having to brake v hard. After stopping with engine off for 20mins started ok and ran alright, be really keen to know the likely cause due for a service soon
jvcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 12:05   #9
ppj

Could be a dodgy coolant temp sensor, if the sensor has failed in such a way that the engine ECU thinks the engine is too hot it can cause all sorts of funny things to happen like fans coming on, unusual fueling causing high idle, the dash sensor will be different to the engine sensor so it wont look like a hot condition to the driver, worth plugging it into VIDA and check what temp the ecu thinks the engine is at. Does the glow plug lamp come on when engine is cold? If not then it may think the engine is too hot.
ppj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 12:26   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Pretty certain there's only one coolant temp sensor which can be found in the thermostat housing where the radiator top hose meets the engine.
If you don't have Vida, don't worry because it's not a Volvo specific problem and as it is, it's easier and quicker to test with basic equipment like a multimeter or a £5 diagnostic dongle.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post: