Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First post, first V70 - Tell me its not a disaster

Views : 2976

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2015, 20:01   #1
volvomcmoonter
mcmoonter

Default First post, first V70 - Tell me its not a disaster

I've owned a Volvo before, a '64 B20 Amazon estate. I drove it from Orkney - Newcastle - Bergen to the Baltic and back. I could fix it in a campsite when the dynamo died. Twenty years on I've bought a V70, I fear my campsite skills are woefully outdated.

I bought a 55 plate V70 from a dealer on ebay, reassured that it came with a full year's MOT certificate. From the log book it would appear to be virtually a one owner car, possibly an ex demonstrator. it had a fully stamped service history, the last entry about twelve thousand miles ago, the current mileage is 157000.

It fitted my needs as a painting and bicycle carrier. I paid a little over £2000 for it.

I collected it from Colchester on Friday to drive it back to Fife.

Immediately I was aware that the wishbone bushes were worn, I'd been warned about them and had budgeted for their replacement. I was miffed that they hadn't been picked up on the MOT.

Midway home after refuelling I pulled back out on to the motorway slip road accelerating to avoid a truck. The engine management exclamation mark illuminated along with an engine management service warning on the dash.

I deleted the warning and a hundred miles further on it happened again, this time it went into a semi limp home mode. Fortunately I was near a service station so pulled in. Stopping and restarting the engine seemed to cure the limp home mode, thankfully as I still had three hundred miles to get home. I avoided heavy accelerations and I made back in one piece.

I've replaced the wishbones and ball joints and the steering is now pin sharp.

The engine management issues might not be so straight forward. I visited my friendly garage and they read the codes with their machine. They were as follows.

135F Mass Air Flow Sensor - Faulty signal

1507 Turbo Control - Too low pressure

E000 Control Module Signal Missing

580F Configuration Fault - Faulty signal

7700 Engine Control Module fault

1100 Outside Temp Sensor - Faulty signal

928C Cruise control - Faulty signal

A02F Vehicle Speed Signal - Faulty signal

7600 Immobiliser Faulty Signal.

An Impressive list I'm sure you'll agree.

So, where to start?

The turbo actuator seems to be working ok, there is some turbo boost, but as the code confirms it's too low. The garage has only ever worked on one other V70, they replaced a sensor on the air intake, it has the serial numbers 0261230106 and a Volvo number 30622083. I went to the local Volvo agent and they said that part had been superceded by 313554463. They quoted £93.60 plus vat for it. Would this help in my circumstance? Is there a cheaper source of sensors rather than the main agent.

I also noted with the engine cover removed that an actuator at the front left (cambelt end) had side of the cylinder head was missing a link. The actuator was moving back and forth. I'm not sure what it relates to.

I need to work out a strategy to isolate faults at the minimum of expense. I can live without knowing what the outside temperature is but I can't live with the limp home dark reaper. So that's my first requirement. Where do I start?

EDIT - the cruise control worked, however the speedometer was slightly out compared to the sat nav speed.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Last edited by volvomcmoonter; Aug 17th, 2015 at 20:24.
volvomcmoonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 20:34   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

A little over £2000 for a 55 plate V70 from a dealer sounds too cheap so some issues aren't a surprise.
All sorts of codes can build up over time so make sure they were cleared then get them done again to see more accurately where you're at then let us know because to be honest, the list of guesses at the moment might be more of a hindrance to solving your actual problem(s).
Reliable used genuine MAFs can be had for less than £20 so don't pay dealer prices.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 21:45   #3
Brendan W
Premier Member

[QUOTE=volvomcmoonter;1964165
I also noted with the engine cover removed that an actuator at the front left (cambelt end) had side of the cylinder head was missing a link. The actuator was moving back and forth. I'm not sure what it relates to. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like the swirl arm link is gone. Common problem and could be responsible for some of the other issues.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 22:17   #4
CaptainSlow337

My first call would be to the dealer. He is responsible for fixing these issues.
CaptainSlow337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 23:01   #5
volvomcmoonter
mcmoonter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow337 View Post
My first call would be to the dealer. He is responsible for fixing these issues.
When I said he was a dealer, he wasn't a Volvo agent, he was an ebay trader.

I will write to him but I doubt I will have any recourse.

I bought the car fully aware there would be some issues. The bolted bits I'm happy with. The electronics are a step too far.

We did clear the fault codes but found most returned after the resetting. The turbo boost one is the most critical, as it appeared to be the one which caused the limp mode.

Peter
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 23:32   #6
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Fix the swirl arm and make sure the oil level is 3/4 full and go from there. Cheapest place to start then get the codes read with proper volvo reader vida dice so you can actually see what's going on this may mean a trip to a dealer unfortunately but generic code readers are sometimes a hinderence on these cars! You can also purchase vida dice via eBay and if your owning it for the long term and sticking around the forum then it will
Pay you back many times over just like mine has!

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Aug 17th, 2015 at 23:34.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 00:11   #7
moorgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvomcmoonter View Post
When I said he was a dealer, he wasn't a Volvo agent, he was an ebay trader.

I will write to him but I doubt I will have any recourse.

I bought the car fully aware there would be some issues. The bolted bits I'm happy with. The electronics are a step too far.

We did clear the fault codes but found most returned after the resetting. The turbo boost one is the most critical, as it appeared to be the one which caused the limp mode.

Peter
Most of the electronics are only responding to what the bits with bolts are up to. The low boost might be the turbo, but it might also be the vacuum actuator for the turbo vanes, or a popped intercooler (they all do that, sir). Clear the codes and then drive about a bit and see what comes back up.
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 17:03   #8
Rawhide

I had similar problems and took it to an indy. They were going to swap the MAF sensor but at my request did a smoke test. There was a big split in the intercooler.

Replaced that and it's been fine since. Not desperately cheap I'm afraid. it was around £600 from memory.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 20:18   #9
volvomcmoonter
mcmoonter

Quote:
Replaced that and it's been fine since. Not desperately cheap I'm afraid. it was around £600 from memory.
Ouch!

I had another look at the missing swirl flap actuating arm. The ball on the motorised end is still in place. The ball at the cylinder head end is missing. There is still a hole there through which a bolt could be pushed.

What length is the original linking arm? Is it straight or cranked?

I might be able to make some sort of Heath Robinson link.

If I can sort this out and at least see if it makes a difference I can eliminate it from the puzzle.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 21:10   #10
Brendan W
Premier Member

This thread might help http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...irl+arm+repair

It's one of many
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote