Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

new swede, non volvo...

Views : 1974

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2017, 20:50   #11
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Very nice, didn't know the v6 was turbo in them. Any photos?

I too come from a saab background, my dad had 3 900's (the proper ones). 2 9000's N/A one white with black leather and the other red with cloth and now he owns a 1996 9000 2.0 turbo remapped in a lovely willow green cream leather interior, just shy of 200k miles and still going very strong.

One of my dream cars is a 70's Saab 99 turbo in black with inca alloys.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 21:31   #12
xsaab
Master Member

A good read for Saab / Sweden / Volvo fans is a book called "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman. A film has also been made but has not received a nationwide release.

However the book tells the story of Ove who is a Saab fan who lives next door to a Volvo fan. It is also a good description of small town Swedish life.

I enjoyed it.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 22:00   #13
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Very nice, didn't know the v6 was turbo in them. Any photos?

I too come from a saab background, my dad had 3 900's (the proper ones). 2 9000's N/A one white with black leather and the other red with cloth and now he owns a 1996 9000 2.0 turbo remapped in a lovely willow green cream leather interior, just shy of 200k miles and still going very strong.

One of my dream cars is a 70's Saab 99 turbo in black with inca alloys.
The v6 is Holden unit also used in vectra and insignia vxr in slightly higher state of tune. Damned with faint praise in Saab installation because it's a 220HP engine anyway and the clever, lag free twin scroll Turbo only adds another 30hp, later models were 265, Vauxhall installation about 280 I think. A simple map makes around 300hp and mountains of torque but that's not really my thing. I.think it is.overlooked in the Saab because it's not much quicker than a four pot Aero and lacks the big Turbo thump of the smaller units. You would not know this was a blown unit, it will pull in sixth cleanly from about 1200rpm. I am told they really go when you wind them up the rev range , and the guys on uksaabs think it's a shame I don't drive it like that but hey, not my thing...genuine 150mph car always run 100mph under its max!!

Last edited by biggbn; Oct 13th, 2017 at 23:26.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 12:41   #14
m0bzy
Master Member

I have had a few Saab's over the years starting with the 3 pot 96,then the V4 96,that rotted faster than I could drive it. Bit of a gap until I started on the 9000's three of them finishing of with a 9.5 Griffon,a fast cruising car but it didn't like corners,spares were becoming hard to find so I went back to Jaguar and Volvo.
Its a great pity that Saab bit the dust.
m0bzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 14:12   #15
biggbn
I've Been Banned

I never gelled with the 9000, nor the 9-5. Both just felt like 'cars' to me, not Saabs. This criticism can also be offered against my latest purchase. The c900 was the last true saaby saab for me with the undercut doors, panoramic windscreen and excellent ride and handling compromise. I will own another v4 at some point, I loved the three I had and covered a lot of miles in them. When I ran them, like amazons and other old volvos I owned, they were just quirky old cars, now they are classics and command a commensurate premium. I never paid more than £500 for any of the v4 I owned!!
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 11:08   #16
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Covered 280miles since Wednesday, very mixed conditions, town, country roads, dual carriageway, 34mpg. Happy with that and reckon I will beat it next week when I have an 800mile week.
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 15:04   #17
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
Covered 280miles since Wednesday, very mixed conditions, town, country roads, dual carriageway, 34mpg. Happy with that and reckon I will beat it next week when I have an 800mile week.
That is impressive, 'biggbn'. Our 9000 Griffin with the 3.0 V6 N/A motor and auto trans averages around 26 - 27 MPG overall. Like you, we appreciate the low down 'grunt' and smooth power delivery of these engines; much more pleasant than the 2.3 FPT, which had the same specific output but a switch for an accelerator!

As we cover very few miles these days the actual MPG returned are not as important to us as they once were. None of our cars does more than 3 - 4K a year, so fuel costs are not especially significant in the grand scheme of things. When I was doing upwards of 40K p.a. I took a different view!

Regards, John.
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 15:08   #18
biggbn
I've Been Banned

That's a rare car these days John, I remember them being sumptuous and a lot were saloons rather than hatches?

Edit badged cd if saloon?

Last edited by biggbn; Oct 15th, 2017 at 15:18.
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 18:34   #19
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Yes, our's is a CD. It's my wife's car; she preferred a saloon for security reasons when she was working. She's had it for about 5 years now and finds it a very pleasant alternative to a 960. Tremendous value for money, too; it cost someone's company close to £30K in '96, but she paid little more than a thousand for it.

Regards,. John.
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 17:28   #20
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Car averaged 39mpg over last 450miles or so, filled up last night, drove about town then up to and through Aberdeen from Dundee this morning. 43mpg. Incredible.