Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvos and Camping.

Views : 1145

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2018, 14:42   #11
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyVol View Post
Go outdoors is a great place with their discount card!

Remember to make your XC look like this before you go!

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums...nd-build.1845/
What's the drying rack for?
Degrading mpg?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 14:44   #12
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGTTDI View Post
Thanks for the advice Thomas.

Each trip will be around 5 days max. This is only due to me wanting to move around and try various campsites etc.
Then choose sites with playgrounds and lots of kids.
Your lil' one will thank you later.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 16:47   #13
ksmi
Master Member

Default Don't forget!

Hello all you happy campers,old hands and newbies,
What ever car and kit you decide to use, Don't forget, the two most important items, 1/corkscrew and 2/clothes line. Oh and 'The Manager(woops)
You could spend a lifetime traveling around France alone,visiting the vast variety of camp sites. and don't rule out "rough camping"
. Personally I have never had a frame tent,all my camping down the years has been in small ridge tents.the advantage for me was putting them up/down quickly,if camping at end of the day and taking off next am on the way to next stop,and the final destination. my children are the opposite,Large tents all mod cons. including last year,A space heater!!!

could go on,and sometimes do, regards Keith

p.s if rough camping,NEVER in a dried up river bed!!!!!
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 17:38   #14
green van man
Premier Member

I camped for over 25 years, large frame tent, kids dog wife. Beanstalk folding kitchen units, fridge, cooker etc all went into a trailer and lived there all year, only took the canvas and bedding into the house for storage.
We went to an area and used it as a base to explore 1 or 2 weeks, went somewhere else the next time.
Started using a trailer when we had 2 kids a big dog and a Hillman imp, found the trailer so easy never tried just the car. I made my camping trailer, ran with mini brakes to aid manovering by hand but useful when towing, but most important feature was the solid locking top, weather proof and chain to a wall when in storage.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 13:00   #15
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

I have a 940, I have no need to bring a tent....
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 14:34   #16
Bigjimknickers

I’ve been camping loads now, since I’ve been with my missus (15 years?) we last year bought the lot again, tent, portable bbq, beds, mats, tables the lot.
You know the best thing I bought?
A £25 roof bag.
It was excellent I loaded it right up with all the light gear ie the beds, mats, sleeping bags, this left a ton of room in my lwb shogun for 3 kids a wife & a beagle.
I’ll link it.
Bigjimknickers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigjimknickers For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 19:04   #17
ksmi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGTTDI View Post

Anyway I wanted to start a thread to see pictures and details of going camping with a Volvo. My current XC70 is going do be going on alot of UK camping trips this year with the family and was looking for ideas, this could be tent types, awnings, roof boxes etc etc.

Thanks in advance Jonathan.
Hi Jonathan, might I suggest (when the weather is a bit more clement) you have a trip to a couple of campsites near you,and have a browse around,examining the gear people are using,I am sure the natives/happy campers, will be quite friendly if you want any info! Watch out for the midges on the West Coast and enjoy your camping.

Regards,Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 21:28   #18
Whyman
Premier Member

Cut your losses and buy a caravan. SWMBO will thank you for it and if just as much fun and much nicer when it rains with a fridge and heater to dry your clothes and boots.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 22:25   #19
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
Cut your losses and buy a caravan. SWMBO will thank you for it and if just as much fun and much nicer when it rains with a fridge and heater to dry your clothes and boots.
For some, that's half the fun gone..
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 09:49   #20
Guy Incognito

We had caravans when the kids were tiny and it was nice when it was piddling down to sit dry and warm. We have gone back to tents now they are 6 and 9.

My old V70 with the dog guard down could take stove, tent, sleeping bags etc.

A decent tent is a must, I would agree a large "living" area is a must have if there are no budget restraints. Then on rubbish days, of which there are many in the UK, you have somewhere to sit upright and read or play games etc.

We recently got a Decathlon blow up tent and having owned and camped in goodness knows how many tents over the last nearly 40 years, it is as good as anything I have had from Vango.

Having said that, my Vango Discovery 200 was bought around 1993 and has been on many many Scout camps etc and is still more or less waterproof.

If you can borrow stuff I would go down that route as none of us will know what will suit you, then you can see live what others have on-site and cherry pick what you want.
Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guy Incognito For This Useful Post: