Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Used car warranty

Views : 1018

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2018, 17:51   #1
Sheded

Default Used car warranty

Hi
Has anyone purchased a used car warranty recently?
If so, was it any good, which company are best/worst etc.
Buying a 2014 XC60 2.4 SE Awd and trying to decide wether to part with the extra grand for 3 years cover.
Sheded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 18:28   #2
garethXC

'Warranty Direct ' is much favoured by the people over on the discovery 3 & 4 forums...
garethXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 20:09   #3
scotchglen

hi, we purchased same model as you from a toyota dealer paid 199 quid for 12 months warranty, within 2 weeks of having the car had problems with radio,cd,speakers etc,turned out it the software unit had failed and was a £1200 fix. dont i think i could spend close to 15 grand without the extra warranty or gap insurance
scotchglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 20:32   #4
Sheded

Interesting. Which company provided the warranty, and didn’t they argue it should be covered by dealers guarantee?
Sheded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 20:33   #5
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchglen View Post
hi, we purchased same model as you from a toyota dealer paid 199 quid for 12 months warranty, within 2 weeks of having the car had problems with radio,cd,speakers etc,turned out it the software unit had failed and was a £1200 fix. dont i think i could spend close to 15 grand without the extra warranty or gap insurance
Within 2 weeks you would have been covered anyway.

It’s an insurance policy, check the t&c’s closely as some only cover “major items” and reduce claim for age and mileage worth reading up on your standard rights.
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 20:48   #6
scotchglen

correct it was covered by original 3 month warranty, but i am glad i purchased the extra just for peace of mind, spent alot on the car and probably couldnt afford a bill like that say 6 months down the line. think we purchased toyotas own gold policy if i remember correctly
scotchglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 12:00   #7
andrewpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheded View Post
Hi
Has anyone purchased a used car warranty recently?
If so, was it any good, which company are best/worst etc.
Buying a 2014 XC60 2.4 SE Awd and trying to decide wether to part with the extra grand for 3 years cover.
took out warrantywise cover for my daughters golf when she bought it in 2013; it's a 2008, 1.4 TSi GT supercharge/turbo engine; known for being tricky if you're unlucky. Primarily it was very easy to tailor the cover to what wanted (excess, hourly rate, equipment etc).
They covered her for a repair to a turbo solenoid and fuel module.
Because we specified MOT failure cover they paid for new shocks.
When it failed again last week on emissions we did disagree over the terms of cover. As the initial diagnosis on the MOT test kit was a Lambda sensor, they agreed to cover this, but when it was retested and a diagnostics system hooked up it was found to be a turbo fault, and by this time the MOT had run out, and we weren't covered, they said.
But part of their marketing is Quentin Willson's involvement, and the offer of referral to him in case of a dispute.
So I did, and within hours he and the MD had reviewed the case, and agreed to agree with us, saving my daughter £750!!!
So we're VERY pleased that they did what they said they would.
I'd thoroughly recommend them without question.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 12:49   #8
Grimble
Grimble

Like all insurance policies, beware of the small print. I had a faulty hose on the turbo and it wasn't covered as hoses are one of the items excluded. It was warranty wise.

All depends on how you view risk.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 13:40   #9
domhart10
Volvo S40

Default Autoguard Warranty

When I got my car I had an Autoguard warranty cover with mine and I have to say they have been pretty good and very quick. While this was in cover (Too many mods now for it to be covered) but while the car was standard they changed the turbo and various bits with great ease.

The turbo was going in my car after getting it and I took it to a dealer and they just signed the job off straight away and the work was done.

On other things from air condition service with replacing condensers etc I have just sent them the receipt and they have just paid it back with no questions asked appart from just checking my service records were upto date.

I paid £300 which was for 3 years cover but after the 3 years all I had to do was show that the service records were kepts upto date and the warranty continued free of change.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 19:29   #10
Phillg1986

I dont trust any of these used car warranties to be honest. Will always try and avoid any claim. Just look at reviews online.
Phillg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote