Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First Time Volvo Driver - S40 2004

Views : 2181

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2018, 21:51   #11
StatusRed
Premier Member

S40 is great but don't get a diesel

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 19:08   #12
cwhaley

Update... I bought her. It is the diesel but because my driving during the week is a straight run to work (early, no traffic) and return home, I thought it'd be the better choice. Anything at the weekend is motorway/A-roads so we can get up into the Peaks for walking.

Bit more about the car... it's in excellent condition - I'm really impressed with how well it's seemingly been looked after cosmetically. It's also full of power. For a nearly 14-year-old car the throttle is very responsive and there's no hesitation or flat spots. I did a good 20-minute test and no problems manifested other than it being a little hard when turning left. I felt a bit of movement in the steering wheel when going over a bump too. One invoice shows repair to an alloy and a new tyre which was caused by hitting the curb - presuming the steering problem is related to this?

Only other issue is it's a little slow to start. Granted it was -1 out there today and it's due a service; hopefully new glow plugs will solve.

Hopefully the start of a good thing with Volvo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (393.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-1.jpg (312.1 KB, 13 views)
cwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 19:30   #13
iainmd

For the slow starting I'd suspect the battery first. On a car that old, is it on the original battery? If it is, it's time for replacement.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 19:45   #14
cwhaley

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
For the slow starting I'd suspect the battery first. On a car that old, is it on the original battery? If it is, it's time for replacement.
Thanks for the heads up. It's not OEM no, but it does look to be a cheap make. I'll do a voltage test and may just replace anyway. I used to use Bosch S4 or S5's. Do you have a recommended brand?
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 10:08   #15
iainmd

Personally I like Yuasa batteries. Fitted a 110 Yuasa Silver to our V50 1.6D last month and the starting improved dramatically, especially in the cold. Normally I never buy anything from Halfords but for once they were the cheapest out there.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 10:50   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhaley View Post
Thanks for the heads up. It's not OEM no, but it does look to be a cheap make. I'll do a voltage test and may just replace anyway. I used to use Bosch S4 or S5's. Do you have a recommended brand?
Get a price from your local dealer - genuine Volvo batteries are not as expensive as you may think and are just about the best quality.

Get a full 4 wheel alignment done also, based on the invoice you found.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 14:47   #17
cwhaley

Thanks again for the advice. I live near to a decent tyre centre so will have to get all of the wheels aligned.

Started her up today in the cold/snow after being sat all night. Probably took 3 or 4 seconds to kick in and she was a bit 'juddery' for the first 5-10 minutes of idling. Smoothed out after the engine had warmed up.

Probably going to take the throttle body off, remove sensors and give it a clean. After that - new battery, wheel alignment and a good service should hopefully improve things.

Last edited by cwhaley; Jan 21st, 2018 at 15:04.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 16:34   #18
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhaley View Post

Started her up today in the cold/snow after being sat all night. Probably took 3 or 4 seconds to kick in and she was a bit 'juddery' for the first 5-10 minutes of idling. Smoothed out after the engine had warmed up.
That's nothing unusual, you might find it starts more quickly if you switch the ignition on and then wait for the glow plug lamp to go out.

These common rail electronic injection engines will always take 2-3 seconds to start as the fuel system pressurises from the engine driven mechanical fuel pump. Not like the older direct injection diesels that would start on the first piston to hit TDC...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 16:55   #19
cwhaley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
That's nothing unusual, you might find it starts more quickly if you switch the ignition on and then wait for the glow plug lamp to go out.

These common rail electronic injection engines will always take 2-3 seconds to start as the fuel system pressurises from the engine driven mechanical fuel pump. Not like the older direct injection diesels that would start on the first piston to hit TDC...
I always wait for the glow plug lamp to go out. In my old Focus I'd sometimes cycle through 2 or 3 times to get them warmed up. It's probably me being overly-cautious and looking for problems to be honest!! It is cold out there today.

Keep looking out the window at her lovingly nonetheless!
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 17:27   #20
cwhaley

Well, speaking of problems...

The car (as mentioned before) always takes a while to start. Although it hasn't been worrying me majorly because it always does start, I did check the throttle body to see if that could be causing anything. It wasn't too gunked up but the flap would stick if I applied a little pressure. I chamfered the edges of it as advised and it was then free to move.

It didn't make it any better and after the car had sat for 2 days while I was away with work, it took a good 5 or 6 seconds to start. It then idled rough/lumpy before settling after a 10 minute drive down the A50 and back. After that she has a smooth idle and has no problems under acceleration.

She's booked in for a service (fuel filter, oil, etc.) so I'm going to ask them to check the starter motor as the battery has been confirmed as fine. Anything else I should be asking for?

Tags
2.0, 2004, diesel, s40, volvo