Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 802391

Replies : 6177

Users Viewing This Thread : Othen

Old Today, 11:06   #6171
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
… just for a moment I thought you were being serious Andrew.

Why does that £2,000 VWW have a 6 grand price tag?

Alan
Old Today, 11:08   #6172
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Now that looks very nice, good MOT history, and could you find another that good???

Pays your money and take your choice...if one were a diesel fetishist

Not been in one, so unsure if the MPG improvement outweighs the extra noise.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 11:33   #6173
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
It is hard to imagine what would be the attraction would be for this one, a 30odd year old cooking Ford 2 door VWW with an auto box - except perhaps as a £1000 van for an odd-job man? It is hardly a collectible motor car that one might be proud of on the driveway or at the monthly classic car meeting in Market Harborough. I think that if someone showed up with that at the classic meet the organisers would think it belonged to a car detailer touting for business amongst the exhibitors.

The VWW does have an unusually low mileage, but unless it comes with a documented history (somewhat unlikely for a cooking motorcar) then that might mean the speedometer cable has only been connected for 30 weeks of the last 30 years. Even if the mileage is verifiable I’m still thinking: so what?

Just my thoughts, sometimes people don’t make much sense, so perhaps it will sell for good money and end up taking pride of place in someone’s collection of dull VWWs?

Alan
Playing Devils Advocate a moment Alan, being a 1986 car it's just coming up to the magic 40 years old. If (and it's a big IF IMHO) the mileage is genuine, it's probably as close to a brand new Escrot (deliberate mis-spelling due to my experiences of Escrots in general) that anyone can get.
Overall condition suggests it's genuinely low mileage although i'd hazard a guess it had a new speedo at some point in its life and/or a new speedo drive pinion in the gearbox.

Checking the MoT history, there's a whopping 10 year gap 2008-2018 :

D714 XPH
FORD

Check another vehicle
Colour
Blue
Fuel type
Petrol
Date registered
21 November 1986
MOT valid until
12 July 2024

Get an MOT reminder by email or text.

Download test certificates
If you think the MOT expiry date or any of the vehicle details are wrong: contact DVSA.
Date tested
13 July 2023
PASS
Mileage
6,987 miles
Test location
View test location
MOT test number
2841 2360 1762
Expiry date
12 July 2024
Date tested
7 July 2022
PASS
Mileage
6,923 miles
Test location
View test location
MOT test number
3739 1440 1231
Expiry date
6 July 2023
Date tested
29 June 2021
PASS
Mileage
6,923 miles
Test location
View test location
MOT test number
4449 5432 3550
Expiry date
28 June 2022
The MOT test changed on 20 May 2018

Defects are now categorised according to their severity - dangerous, major, and minor. Find out more.
Date tested
14 February 2018
PASS
Mileage
6,824 miles
Test location
View test location
MOT test number
2838 1708 8113
Expiry date
13 February 2019
Date tested
6 May 2008
PASS
Mileage
6,423 miles
Test location
View test location
MOT test number
1941 1752 8130
Expiry date
5 May 2009

Also missing are 2006 and 2007 suggesting another (possibly 10 year) hiatus. It's only done ~560 miles in the past 16 years, my dog walks more than that in a year! Come to think of it, considering how much she runs on the average walk, takes her about 2 1/2 months to clock up that mileage!

All seems to be clean passes on the MoT suggesting it's been well cared for but i'd still approach with caution! Also a spare wad of cash to import a 1.9CVH block from the USA that could take a rebore if the existing one is shot - if you're going to the expense of a rebore/pistons etc, may as well improve the torque, power and economy on it!

Quote:

Alan
You're far too generous Alan - the seller says the wheels are worth £1k so it's a £1k car with a £6k price tag!

Personally i'd tell him to refit the original wheels and drop the price by a bag of sand and then pick holes to knock another £4k off..................

.......................but i still wouldn't buy it because A) it's red and B) it's a diseasel.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 12:12   #6174
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Now that looks very nice, good MOT history, and could you find another that good???

Pays your money and take your choice...if one were a diesel fetishist

Not been in one, so unsure if the MPG improvement outweighs the extra noise.

Cheers
Steve
Had a manual for five years. Loved it. Not really noisy, bit revvy though, 25 mph per 1000 rpm.

If I had the space I could be tempted, not at that price however.

As our learned friend has pointed out, ‘taint perfect!🤔
Old Today, 12:26   #6175
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:

Alan
It shouldn’t, of course.

At £2000, I’d just go and fetch it!

Not every one’s motor but the one I had , I loved.
Old Today, 12:44   #6176
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Playing Devils Advocate a moment Alan, being a 1986 car it's just coming up to the magic 40 years old. If (and it's a big IF IMHO) the mileage is genuine, it's probably as close to a brand new Escrot (deliberate mis-spelling due to my experiences of Escrots in general) that anyone can get.
Overall condition suggests it's genuinely low mileage although i'd hazard a guess it had a new speedo at some point in its life and/or a new speedo drive pinion in the gearbox.

Checking the MoT history, there's a whopping 10 year gap 2008-2018 :

D714 XPH
FORD

Check another vehicle
Colour
Blue
Fuel type
Petrol
Date registered
21 November 1986
MOT valid until
12 July 2024

Also missing are 2006 and 2007 suggesting another (possibly 10 year) hiatus.
That rather confirms my 'so what?' comment above Dave. The seller will not be able to vouch for the entire life of the VWW, so the low recorded mileage is just a curiosity. Perhaps it just demonstrates that someone drove it around with the speedometer cable disconnected and didn't bother with the MoT test for 10 or 20 of its years? To my mind this is just an oldish and dull VWW that will not qualify for the free tax for another 3 years.

There is a chance that two nostalgic bidders (perhaps both having fond memories of their dad owning a similar VWW back in the day) driving the price up, but if not it remains a grand's worth of ditch water.

Last edited by Othen; Today at 12:55.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 13:02   #6177
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Alan,

Been checking the Matthewsons site and today they have a Timed Auction for lots that didn’t sell, including the reddy brown roller……

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction...pp=48&pn=1&g=1

Ends Thursday at noon, opening bid minimum£6k but who knows what reserve….

Bon chance😀

Cheers
Steve
I'd been keeping an eye on the reddy/brown RR Shadow auction (but having already decided it would not be practical for me to buy it at the moment). It has just ended and didn't attract any bids at the starting price of £6,000. One is forced to conclude that the market has spoken and the RR is worth rather less than 6 grand.

EBay next?

Alan
Old Today, 13:19   #6178
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
I'd been keeping an eye on the reddy/brown RR Shadow auction (but having already decided it would not be practical for me to buy it at the moment). It has just ended and didn't attract any bids at the starting price of £6,000. One is forced to conclude that the market has spoken and the RR is worth rather less than 6 grand.

EBay next?

Alan
That's interesting and just had a quick look at the website and nice to see lots marked sold/not sold, the majority of motors appear not to have sold again on the timed auction.

I suppose it is a pretty simple thing for Matthewsons to operate and run, and boosts the overall auction sale percentages and hence their income.

Pity about the Roller, get your shed sorted and then you'll be ready to pounce as and when a motor pops up.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post: