Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2000 V40 - is this a fuel filter sensor??

Views : 919

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2022, 02:03   #1
Bradrhoads

Default 2000 V40 - is this a fuel filter sensor??

I want to replace the fuel filter on my 2000 V40 with new. When I was investigating, I noticed a band that encircles the filter canister. The bands function seems to be to scure a sensor. I'm curious what the function of this sensor is. (Yes, my band/clamp is broken) Does anyone know what that sensor is? I can't attach a pic unfortunately.

Vehicle presently has original fuel filter. 84k miles. I'm experiencing some hard starting - I have to crank it for 3-5 seconds before it starts. It used to start immediately. I'm thinking the fuel filter may be the cause. New plugs and air cleaner. I suspect the injectors are ok as well. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Brad
Bradrhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2022, 13:55   #2
magnuz
Ancient

I know which wire you mean as mine has one, but not really sure what it's for. I can only think that it may just be some kind of ground connection to prevent static build up on the metal filter ? What ever it's for it doesn't appear to affect the running of the car when it's not connected ?
As for the securing/ mounting band, i just replaced mine with a large jubilee clip.I did try cable ties, but the filter may be too heavy when full of fuel, as the they kept breaking after a while. I have though secured the wire with a cable tie of it's own .

The starting issue, can sometimes be caused by the fuel pressure regulator not retaining enough fuel in the fuel rail when engine has been turned off for a while, therefore needing a bit of time for the pump to pressurise it again. Try turning on the ignition & waiting a few seconds for the pump to build up pressure before starting it. This could point towards a FPR problem, if it starts quicker ?

Last edited by magnuz; Apr 24th, 2022 at 14:07.
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 18:33   #3
cogs

I found this sensor or whatever it is last week. Mine was hanging down and looked like it had been for some time. I have no idea what it is for either.

I also have a similar starting problem with my 2000cc 2002 V40 which I've recently saved from being scrapped. It runs sweet once going and seems pretty fast. But whenever trying to start it about 70% of the time it fines but won't run unless I hold the throttle open a bit.
It has had new plugs, an air filter and all connections under the bonnet cleaned. It does need a new fuel filter which I went to change and found the rear connection on it had been broken. The front connection is the push-in with a spanner sort as in the Haynes but the rear connection is the sort you push the sides in with those fuel filter pilers, more like the V70 later V70 connection, if you know it. I left it be for now until I can get hold of the proper/new connector but the existing filter is very rusty and looks old.
I'm convinced it is a fuel problem but leaving the pump running a little before starting doesn't work.
Any useful ideas on what this could be, please?
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 16:05   #4
Hoggy32

If you guys are referring to this https://imgur.com/a/6SpsC then it's the earth strap for the fuel filter.
Check this https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...54&postcount=9
Hoggy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoggy32 For This Useful Post: