Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aux brake vac pump pulsing - help please.

Views : 412

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2022, 20:01   #1
irishcarfan
Master Member

Default Aux brake vac pump pulsing - help please.

1999 S40 1.8 (Volvo unit) Auto Phase '1.5', 120k miles. Car is parked the last 6 months.

Timeline of events:
1. Changed radiator after crack appeared, and engine mounts.
2. Started car - hard brake pedal.
3. Found blown fuse for brake pump, replaced.
4. Noise from brake pump. I found it to be blowing not sucking.
5. No replacement available (older phase 1 black plastic unit)
6. Replaced with newer design (silver, upright), and new wiring harness
7. Brake pedal works but pulsating interior light suggested all not well
8. Found brake pump pulsing every half second.
9. Thought perhaps air leak or issue with booster, pipes etc.
10. Blocked off pipe to pump - no change.
11. Replaced pump switch and vac pipe - no change.
12. Haven't changed pump relay (located beside it)

That's where I am now. Any ideas what I should be checking? I presume whatever work I did caused the issue, though the pump blowing is suspicious.

Any idea what I should be checking? Is there anything related to the brakes that I wouldn't have thought of? I feel like I'm stupidly overlooking something obvious. Could ABS cause this issue?

There are no warning lights showing on the dashboard. Nothing found on OBD.

Observation - when I turn the ignition on (before starting), I can hear the pump come on for a few seconds. If I have my foot on the brake during this time, the pedal does not sink. Is that correct? It only sinks once the engine is started.

Any thoughts or random comments appreciated as I really have never had an issue like this before. Many thanks!
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 19:41   #2
canis
Non Fragile

Well, if it's a petrol engine then the vacuum assist only occurs when the engine is actually running, so feeling the brake pedal depress when you start the engine is normal. There's no pump, the vaccuum is created in the inlet manifold and carried to the brake servo by a pipe. I don't know what you mean by "hear the pump running" because there isn't a pump. You're probably hearing the fuel pump.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 21:17   #3
irishcarfan
Master Member

Canis, I appreciate the response but you are mistaking the car for a manual. The automatic has an auxiliary brake pump hidden beneath the passenger wing - that is where the majority of the vacuum comes from and I have a feeling it's something to do with the VVT not allowing enough vacuum to be efficient hence the additional pump.

Many automatic cars have this be it Volvo or Saab.

For pig iron I have ordered a new relay, however, it's a radio interference type some of you 740/240 people might recognise, which I believe is related to the fuel injectors. I will report back if it makes a difference.
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irishcarfan For This Useful Post: