Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 599478

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2022, 15:18   #2581
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastie321 View Post
Had the dreaded EGR issue pop up on my 2016 XC60 D4 a few months ago, accompanied by loss of power at low revs and a fluctuating rev counter at idle.

Took it to my local dealer and quoted £1,400 for new valve and cooler - told it was caused by the previous owner travelling low miles - 27k in 5 years.

After finding this thread and doing my own research, talking to a few mechanics and owners of other vehicles, decided to go for an EGR delete at £400. Touch wood have driven over 1,000 miles since with no issues whatsoever
Sounds interesting @pastie321

I'd be interested in doing the EGR delete on mine too just to remove the worry. Would you be good enough to share some info? Is it just a remap or is the valve and cooler physically removed from the car? Or a link to the company that can do it for me?

Thanks in advance.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2022, 16:29   #2582
pastie321

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
Sounds interesting @pastie321

I'd be interested in doing the EGR delete on mine too just to remove the worry. Would you be good enough to share some info? Is it just a remap or is the valve and cooler physically removed from the car? Or a link to the company that can do it for me?

Thanks in advance.
The valve and cooler have been physically removed and a blanking plate fitted. A software update is then applied.

It's not a solution to be entered into lightly - do plenty of research so you understand the pros and cons and talk to the garages who could potentially carry out the work.

Given the issues I'd encountered with my vehicle and the high cost of repair with no guarantee that this issue would not recur, I decided it was the best option for me - may not be for everyone else!
pastie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pastie321 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2022, 16:41   #2583
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastie321 View Post
The valve and cooler have been physically removed and a blanking plate fitted. A software update is then applied.

It's not a solution to be entered into lightly - do plenty of research so you understand the pros and cons and talk to the garages who could potentially carry out the work.

Given the issues I'd encountered with my vehicle and the high cost of repair with no guarantee that this issue would not recur, I decided it was the best option for me - may not be for everyone else!
I just want peace of mind that my car is going to be reliable and is not just storing up a giant repair bill for me in the future. It seems it's not a case of if your EGR cooler is going to block up and put you into limp mode but more a case of when it's going to happen.

It's just constantly niggling away in the back of my mind so I'd rather pay for a permanent solution now rather than keep wondering when it's going to happen.

Last edited by RDesign4Life; May 4th, 2022 at 16:44.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2022, 20:43   #2584
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyo360 View Post
Can you share a link to the various gaskets you ordered please?

Interesting. Approximately how many miles did you cover in those 5 years? And was there much short/town driving in that mix?

Again, can you share a link with what you bought? Cheers!
The EGR/EGR Cooler gasket (OE Volvo part is 31370267)
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/elring/15238766

The gasket to the exhaust side of the EGR valve (Volvo OE part number is: 32213478)
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/fa1/15879935

The gasket on the intake manifold side of the EGR was more tricky to identify as I got various different part numbers from posts on this forum and on other sites - I ordered a gasket from Autodoc but it didn't look quite the same design, although was the correct size. The Volvo OE number for it is: 32213480. I eventually ordered the proper Volvo part on Ebay.

As I mentioned, the only one I used in the end was the EGR to cooler gasket. The other ones I reused as they looked fine. I've kept the other gaskets I bought in case I need to do the job again (hopefully not!)

Bought this from the local dealer parts department. I think it was £15 for 4 litres. I bought 8 litres, thinking I would need it all, but even after draining through the lower radiator hose and refilling with a vacuum filler I needed just over 4 litres.

The car does about 8000-9000 miles per year. Mostly daily commute in traffic for 10 miles each way and then some town runs at the weekend. So very few motorway trips.
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2022, 21:08   #2585
Miyo360

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
I just want peace of mind that my car is going to be reliable and is not just storing up a giant repair bill for me in the future. It seems it's not a case of if your EGR cooler is going to block up and put you into limp mode but more a case of when it's going to happen.

It's just constantly niggling away in the back of my mind so I'd rather pay for a permanent solution now rather than keep wondering when it's going to happen.
This is exactly my sentiment. I appreciate all cars will need repairs during their lives, but to have to deal with the same repeating fault is frustrating to say the least.

I'm keen to learn more about the EGR delete. I will read up on on all the pros and cons, as suggested by @pastie321. One concern would be about selling the car in years to come - assuming I have all the parts, is the process reversible? Including the remap?
Miyo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2022, 21:11   #2586
Miyo360

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
The EGR/EGR Cooler gasket (OE Volvo part is 31370267)
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/elring/15238766

The gasket to the exhaust side of the EGR valve (Volvo OE part number is: 32213478)
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/fa1/15879935
Thanks! Much appreciated. I'll go speak to the Indy on Monday in person and ask about my preference of doing the clean myself, and get their thoughts on an EGR delete while I'm at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miyo360 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2022, 18:02   #2587
Miyo360

The independent garage didn't want to entertain my idea - they said my car would take up space on their lot while I'm off cleaning the EGR, not only that but they would highly recommend I don't bother cleaning it and just replacing it. They had bad experiences when asked by customer just to clean it. This is why I want to do it myself - I would be meticulous and clean it to the condition shown in the YT videos posted previously.

I explained the consistent issue this car has. They were surprised to hear the valve had been replaced 3 times already and suggested an underlying issue. Again, I explained it is well know on this engine type. They also said they had bad experiences with 3rd party EGR party, so would only fit official manufacturer supplied parts.

I then asked about doing an EGR delete, but they can't do it as they don't have the software.

So, my options are
  1. Pay indy/volvo to replace valve and cooler with Volvo parts, likely cost is £1000/£1300 respectively.
  2. Find another indy garage who will let me clean my own EGR. Or...buy a 2nd hand EGR valve/cooler from eBay, clean it myself and get it fitted by indy. Parts = £250, labour = £200?
  3. Delete the EGR. £400 ish.
    or
  4. Clear the fault lamp from the dash, part ex the car, drive away quickly.
Old May 9th, 2022, 21:57   #2588
Antos

A dilemma indeed mate, if it were me and your keeping it forever I’d either bite the bullet and hand over cash to Volvo or second hand one and Clean it then fingers crossed. 😊
Old May 17th, 2022, 13:55   #2589
FreshPete

So my 2016 XC60 with 66k on the clock has had intermittent check engine lightwhich is the EGR issue. Took it to my local volvo who quoted me £818 to replace. might be time to get rid of the car
FreshPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2022, 15:43   #2590
viper76

A month ago I had the check engine light and after reading this thread and watching the video many times I went ahead and cleaned the egr value myself it was a straight forward job to do, cleared the fault code and it has been 2 weeks and the fault hasn't came back .

however I have noticed the car doesn't feel the same when driving I don't know how to describe it like a boost of power or cutting off for a split of a second when driving under 40 miles anyone here had the same thing and what would be ?
viper76 is offline   Reply With Quote