Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hydraulic tappet snake oil

Views : 1780

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 09:45   #11
sdg1970
Master Member

.....and 'respectfully' Mr. CNG, I also own a vehicle with a Hemi V8 in it. These are notorious for lifter failure, at low mileages or whatever, if you use oil with an improper zinc content/and or poor change intervals.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 11:14   #12
colnet

RollingThunder
Would you please let us know how you get on, thanks.
colnet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colnet For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 11:16   #13
volvo2
Master Member

I have this noise (1994 petrol, non-turbo, 206k miles) but only on start-up and only after the car has not been used for a day or two. There is no noise after that. Worth trying the Wynn's or maybe thinner oil (I use Castrol 10w-40)? The last thing I want to do is make this worse.

Last edited by volvo2; Oct 2nd, 2020 at 11:22.
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 09:45   #14
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

The Wynn's bottle of magic has arrived, but I need to sort out a brake issue before I can take it for a run, so it might be a week or so before I can add it to the oil. I don't expect an immediate improvement, but hopefully it'll have an effect over the first couple of 100 miles... I'll let you know how it goes.

Despite the oil being fresh, I have no idea what it is, so I'll drop that in 1000 miles, and will replace it with a high detergent content 10W40. So far I'm considering the Castrol UltraClean or the Valvoline MaxLife which supposedly has a lot of cleaning agents and seal conditioners in it. Volvo's stated requirement is just a basic A3/B3 spec which pretty much all oil satisfies these days, so they should be ok.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 12:06   #15
Cookeh
Premier Member

Any engine flush should do the job, you're just looking for something detergent based to break down whatever minor sludge is present in or around that tappet. Might work out cheaper, for future reference, than a named dedicated item.

Luqimoly do a pretty good and reasonably priced flush.
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 12:59   #16
Dippydog
Premier Member

Personally-this is just my take on the subject-I'd be wary of flushing unless you do it very very thoroughly and perhaps depending on mileage of the car,as it can dislodge stuff that's better left where it is rather than breaking free and clogging oilways elsewhere in the engine.Others are of course free to disagree.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 18:01   #17
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I know where you're coming from DippyDog - if the engine had a decent service history and I had the assurance of good oil being used all the time, then I would use an engine flush. However, the service records for this car show that while it has had regular attention, the oils quoted on the documents vary wildly. Plus it also has some minor oils leaks already, so I reckon that if I use an engine flush I'll end up with a lot more work

My intention is to use an oil with good detergent additives to slowly clear the gunk away, along with the tappet treatment. I dare not go any further at the moment, especially with the weather turning now - I don't want to be faced with a leaking rear main seal in the middle of December!
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 19:48   #18
Cookeh
Premier Member

Respectfully, if you already have oil leaks then a flush won't make a (negative) difference. Additionally, avoiding using a flush for fear of creating oil leaks is generally bad practice and poor maintenance. Engines run better and have lower wear when they are cleaner, that's rather obvious and I don't think anyone will dispute that. Seals being held together by sludge doesn't fit into that equation, and if they are indeed being held together by sludge that needs to be established and the seal needs replacing. The idea that a single flush will wipe out all sludge, all varnish, and all deposits is also misguided. It will take lots of repeat flushes along with good oil choice to make a dent.

Given all the effort you've put into this car, and all the previous effort you've put into older cars skimping here seems out of character for you.
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 20:39   #19
ITSv40
VOC Member

When I bought my V40 it was on 90,000mls with full Volvo main dealer documented service history. Looking through the detailed invoices I noticed that up to 50,000mls the engine oil and filter had been changed at the service schedules. From 50,000mls Wurth Engine Flush had been used at every second oil change.

I have now adopted the same regime with all our cars and use Wurth at every second change, I also change the oil and filter every 7000mls or so.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 09:17   #20
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Thanks for the feedback both

Cookeh, my problem is that its a bit more complex than just doing what I should with the car...

First off, my wife wasn't best impressed when I sold our perfectly good S40 to get this - which turned out to have quite a few issues even before I cocked up the cambelt change. So she just wants it on the road asap. To further complicate things, both my parents and my inlaws are elderly and disabled, so they need to be able to get into a car in order for us to take them out - I have the luxury of a Discovery V8 for wifey and me to use, but they can't get into that lol. They're not exactly housebound, but we can't take them out shopping, and they're a bit frustrated about that. (Obviously, we're part of their extended covid bubble due to their disabilities and us supporting them).

So while I'd normally admit that I have accidentally bought a project car and console myself in a few beers, I can't do that this time. We need it on the road asap as long as its safe and roadworthy. I'll pick up the non essential other work next year - but whatever I do now can't jeopardise the car's availability/reliability in the meantime.

This means I can do the smaller jobs that won't take longer than a day, but anything that would likely take longer will have to wait (as long as it doesn't damage the car or its safety of course!).

It will see the usual RollingThunder levels of attention and love in due course, but for now we just need it back on the road