Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 643314

Replies : 1365

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2022, 03:29   #811
142 Guy
Master Member

Out of ignorance I need to ask what a 16x2 BSPT thread is? I thought BSPT was like NPT in North America, resolutely defined in terms of imperial measurements.

The OD interlock switch design was probably more a function of the transmission vendor rather than Laycock de Normanville. I believe that the Volvo M41 was Volvo supplied and the threads on the rest of the M41 are non metric as I recall so a metric threaded switch is odd.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2022, 06:25   #812
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Out of ignorance I need to ask what a 16x2 BSPT thread is? I thought BSPT was like NPT in North America, resolutely defined in terms of imperial measurements.

The OD interlock switch design was probably more a function of the transmission vendor rather than Laycock de Normanville. I believe that the Volvo M41 was Volvo supplied and the threads on the rest of the M41 are non metric as I recall so a metric threaded switch is odd.
BSP is British Standard Pipe - I don't know much about it, but it is still used on plumbing fittings (I suspect like NPT in the colonies). I'm also really surprised there is a M16x2 metric definition within BSP, in the 1950s and 60s Britain metric measurements were a novelty.

We seem to have uncovered a bizarre situation here. It sounds implausible but the evidence seems to this one item being metric on an otherwise imperial motor car. This needs a bit more investigation before I take the gearbox off just to find out.

Alan

PS. Does anyone know where the reversing light switch would fit on?

Last edited by Othen; May 9th, 2022 at 07:19. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2022, 06:34   #813
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A bit more information for you Alan :

... Four alternative options there, one of which confirms M16x2 which i admit i find strange too, considering Laycock de Normanville was a UK company and supplied many British car manufacturers of the 60s plus Volvo (who in the late 60s/early 70s often had more British parts than "real" British cars!) so i'd guess they did it for a marketing reason.

Useful for all Laycock overdrive owners to know theyre still produced for many newer cars and are easily and relatively cheaply available! Note the price difference between the first one at Rimmers and the second - same switch, different branding and packaging!

Not sure on the position for the reverse light switch on yours but if you do fit a manual switch, you will also need to add an easily visible warning light on the dash to comply with legalities.
This does seem bizarre Dave. It needs a bit more investigation before I take the gearbox off.

Re the reversing light switch: the green book (M40/41) talks about removing the connection to it, but does not show me where it fits on, which is not so helpful. I'd rather wire up the lights with a proper switch than one on the dashboard (with a tell tale of course). I hope some Amazon owner with reversing lights will take a photo of where the switch fits on.

:-)

Alan

PS. It seems even more bizarre that there might be Triumph Spitfires out there with just one metric component!

Last edited by Othen; May 9th, 2022 at 07:23.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2022, 07:35   #814
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

[QUOTE=Othen; ... I'm really surprised there is a 16x2 metric definition within BSP as well, in the 1950s and 60s Britain metric measurements were a novelty.

We seem to have uncovered a bizarre situation here. It sounds implausible but the evidence seems to this one item being metric on an otherwise imperial motor car. This needs a bit more investigation before I take the gearbox off just to find out.

Alan
[/QUOTE]

It happened more often than you might think, Alan, and caused more than a few 'problems'.

On completion of their first year, spent in the Training School, RR Apprentices received their basic tool box. Those qualifying in 1966, including yours truly, were the last to receive Imperial standard tools (e.g 0 - 1" mic) later years getting Metric (e.g 0 - 25 mm mic). It was also customary for engineering drawings of the period to be dimensioned in both units.

Regards, John.
Old May 9th, 2022, 10:16   #815
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Something seemed very wrong to me about a metric BSP - British Standard Pipe - thread. From what i remember, they were always Imperial threads, so i looked it up.

They're ALL Imperial measurements.

As such i checked the "G" threads - Gas (pipe) threads. Many of these are Metric but the nearest is M16 x 1.5 and also checked the normal Metric thread sizes :

Still no results! As such, i've come to the conclusion it's a deliberate oddball thread, used to prevent people using an "approximation" switch to overcome a faulty overdrive switch.

Maybe i'm right, maybe i'm wrong but either way it's not a standard thread for most use it seems.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2022, 13:18   #816
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Something seemed very wrong to me about a metric BSP - British Standard Pipe - thread. From what i remember, they were always Imperial threads, so i looked it up.

They're ALL Imperial measurements.

As such i checked the "G" threads - Gas (pipe) threads. Many of these are Metric but the nearest is M16 x 1.5 and also checked the normal Metric thread sizes :

Still no results! As such, i've come to the conclusion it's a deliberate oddball thread, used to prevent people using an "approximation" switch to overcome a faulty overdrive switch.

Maybe i'm right, maybe i'm wrong but either way it's not a standard thread for most use it seems.
... maybe Dave, but it can't be that rare as Amazon sells a common user M16x2 tap;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-ma...NrPXRydWU&th=1

I'm thinking that I will have to take the gearbox out (it looks really simple) and have this tap ready to have a go re-tapping the 5/8" hole. If there isn't enough metal left to do that I'll have to get the M16x2 helicoil kit I posted a link to above.

I can't help thinking there must be some common use for M16x2 to justify people making off-the-shelf taps and helicoil kits.

Curiouser...

Alan
Old May 9th, 2022, 13:27   #817
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... maybe Dave, but it can't be that rare as Amazon sells a common user M16x2 tap;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-ma...NrPXRydWU&th=1

I'm thinking that I will have to take the gearbox out (it looks really simple) and have this tap ready to have a go re-tapping the 5/8" hole. If there isn't enough metal left to do that I'll have to get the M16x2 helicoil kit I posted a link to above.

I can't help thinking there must be some common use for M16x2 to justify people making off-the-shelf taps and helicoil kits.

Curiouser...

Alan
That's probably true Alan but back in 1962 M16 x anything was definitely NOT common on UK shores!

As such, it would have been an oddball thread back then. It is commonly used on towball attachment bolts these days so in that respect, is fairly common. Back in the mists of time, they would have used 5/8"UNC or UNF instead for towbars etc. I wouldn't bother with the Sourcing Map tap from Amazon, instead i would go for :

https://www.ukdrills.com/hss-hand-taps-m16-2mm

Much better quality IME and the edge lasts longer too.

I strongly suspect you'll have to Helicoil it as the root of an M16 x 2 will be 14mm but you may just get away with it - perhaps a spot of Loctite 243 or similar on the threads to help lock it in place.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2022, 13:32   #818
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That's probably true Alan but back in 1962 M16 x anything was definitely NOT common on UK shores!

As such, it would have been an oddball thread back then. It is commonly used on towball attachment bolts these days so in that respect, is fairly common. Back in the mists of time, they would have used 5/8"UNC or UNF instead for towbars etc. I wouldn't bother with the Sourcing Map tap from Amazon, instead i would go for :

https://www.ukdrills.com/hss-hand-taps-m16-2mm

Much better quality IME and the edge lasts longer too.

I strongly suspect you'll have to Helicoil it as the root of an M16 x 2 will be 14mm but you may just get away with it - perhaps a spot of Loctite 243 or similar on the threads to help lock it in place.
You are right, but it is worth trying the M16x2 tap to see if I can get a thread to hold, as you say a little bit of Loctite might be useful. It doesn't have to take much torque.

Alan
Old May 9th, 2022, 13:36   #819
Derek UK
VOC Member

Note that the gearbox lid is very thin. That is why the use the tapered thread as it locks very quickly. I would think that is too thin to take a Helicoil. If the lid doesn't have a hole for the switch there is a ring cast into the underside where you need to drill the hole.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2022, 15:01   #820
packers1712

Default Reverse light switch position

Hi Alan,

I hope your inhibitor switch installation is progressing well, attached is a picture of where the reverse light switch is found on the M41 gearbox, strangely it is just a push in item and notoriously difficult to do with the gearbox installed but not impossible!

Doug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50B19CF0-5E0F-49A0-B098-4C04C7BAC120.jpg (72.8 KB, 24 views)
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post: