Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 644120

Replies : 1365

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2022, 14:59   #831
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The wheel should be further down on the cone in the centre of the balancer Alan - that's why the upper ring has springs on it so the wheel/tyre can be pushed down to centralise it. It's possible to introduce an imbalance if the wheel isn't central - also did you check/adjust the bullseye before adding the wheel to ensure the bubble was central?
Not according to the manufacturer's directions Dave: push the wheel down to centre it on the cone, then the assembly balances on the 3 springs and shafts. I’m just reading it from the book though - I’m no expert.

Last edited by Othen; May 11th, 2022 at 16:05. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2022, 16:49   #832
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

I've seen a photo of a second switch attached to the lid somewhere on the internet, and had rather assumed it was probably for the reversing lights, so that may be a good solution - just drill and tap it to M16x2 and fit a second OD switch for the lights.

What I may look at is acquiring a spare M41 top cover and machining both M16x2 threaded holes ready to swap over. That would be a clever solution, but I don't know whether the lid would be easily available...

Alan
This is a note to myself really: I've found a M40 lid (Volvo part #380130) on eBay in the USA. It is $84, but I suppose with shipping and (maybe) duty it will end up costing £100. It might be convenient to have a part already machined and with two interrupter switches mounted when I remove the gearbox, but there would always be a risk of some other issue arising.

I did take the liberty of borrowing a photo of the underside from the ad, and can clearly see the two cast-in guide holes:

... I'm guessing these are just a little less than 16mm wide so as the guide the pilot drill, so that makes me more confident that the 5/8" tapped hole will have enough metal left on the shoulders to re-tap at M16x2, or failing that to fit a helicoil.

On balance I don't think it is worth procuring the spare part from USA - I can get the lid I take off machined, probably the same day, here in Corby.

Apologies - the above was me thinking aloud so that when I forget my line of thought I may remind myself :-).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; May 11th, 2022 at 17:44.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2022, 18:37   #833
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Not according to the manufacturer's directions Dave: push the wheel down to centre it on the cone, then the assembly balances on the 3 springs and shafts. I’m just reading it from the book though - I’m no expert.
I suppose the instructions are open to interpretation Alan, also depends on the quality of translation and whether it's into real English or "Chinglish".

Are there only 3 shafts/springs on yours? Fairly sure mine has 4, not that it makes any difference to the operation, just curious.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2022, 22:53   #834
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
This is a note to myself really: I've found a M40 lid (Volvo part #380130) on eBay in the USA. It is $84, but I suppose with shipping and (maybe) duty it will end up costing £100. It might be convenient to have a part already machined and with two interrupter switches mounted when I remove the gearbox, but there would always be a risk of some other issue arising.

I did take the liberty of borrowing a photo of the underside from the ad, and can clearly see the two cast-in guide holes:

... I'm guessing these are just a little less than 16mm wide so as the guide the pilot drill, so that makes me more confident that the 5/8" tapped hole will have enough metal left on the shoulders to re-tap at M16x2, or failing that to fit a helicoil.

On balance I don't think it is worth procuring the spare part from USA - I can get the lid I take off machined, probably the same day, here in Corby.

Apologies - the above was me thinking aloud so that when I forget my line of thought I may remind myself :-).

Alan
Before you get too far along on the add a reverse switch to the lid path, perhaps do a little investigation of the parts books. If your transmission is currently set up for the spring in a tin can mounted on the back side of the transmission the selector rods will not be set up to operate the top mounted switch. As described by Ron K, you would need to find or fabricate the little tab to actuate the switch which is mounted on the reverse selector rod . Some disassembly required!

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=324517
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2022, 23:16   #835
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Slightly "out of the box" idea Alan - why not obtain a lever V3 microswitch and build a bracket so it only operates when the gear lever is in the reverse position and hide it under the gear lever gaiter? Would save a lot of dismantling etc!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2022, 05:52   #836
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Before you get too far along on the add a reverse switch to the lid path, perhaps do a little investigation of the parts books. If your transmission is currently set up for the spring in a tin can mounted on the back side of the transmission the selector rods will not be set up to operate the top mounted switch. As described by Ron K, you would need to find or fabricate the little tab to actuate the switch which is mounted on the reverse selector rod . Some disassembly required!

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=324517
That is a really helpful comment, and again shows the value of this forum. It is invaluable to float ideas here first and run the mission rehearsal before lifting a spanner (wrench).

It would seem (from the most erudite Ron K article) that the top mounted switch isn't really worthwhile. Better options would be either the spring in a tin (it should work fine, if a bit flimsy) or (perhaps more likely) a dashboard operated switch with a tell-tale light (like the OD switch I have at the moment - which began life controlling an after market heated rear screen).

Afternote: I've just noticed Dave's suggestion of a mechanically operated microswitch under the gear lever gaiter - that may be worthy of consideration also.

Many thanks - I'll measure 3 times (or perhaps 10) and cut once :-).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; May 12th, 2022 at 05:57. Reason: Spelling error.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2022, 06:24   #837
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Apologies for plagiarising the above... so, thinking about this:

I will have a 4.10:1 rear axle, but with a M41+Type D O/D and the standard Amazon speedometer. The O/D will have a 18 tooth (fine) pinion, but with a 4.10: rear axle (rather than 4.56:1) it should have a 16 tooth pinion like the M40 (as 16/18=0.88 this results in 12% under-gearing of the speedometer compared with the rear wheels).

I think I could use a 16 tooth pinion from a M40 gearbox, but it would appear I'd have to also fit the metal speedometer gear from the rear shaft of the M40 gearbox, and have that gear machined to match the height of the equivalent one in the M41.

I don't have the 16 tooth pinion or the metal speedometer gear from a M40 gearbox, and I'm not inclined to take the O/D apart, get parts machined to fit, replace the O/D, fix all the resulting leaks and so on, so (unless someone knows better) my advice to myself is to leave the everything as it is, enjoy the benefits of the O/D, do a little mental arithmetic and stop worrying about trivia.

:-)
I've brought this post forward as a reminder (to myself) for when I try the silver wheels with the 175/60 tyres (maybe today if the 9 1/2" hub caps arrive with the postie this morn).

The 175/60 tyres will reduce the gear ratio by 7%, but my 122S is over-geared (compared with the way it left the factory) by 12% (hence the speedometer reads 12% slow). The shorter tyres should reduce the speedometer inaccuracy to around 5% (maybe to around zero because the speedo should probably read a little fast under UK law anyway).

I enjoy these little experiments with GAM.

:-)

Afternote: reducing the gearing by 7% might make GAM quite sporty for use around town. It might mean that OD becomes more useful, and so might push me into a more robust solution (than me remembering to turn it off) for the OD inhibitor switch.

Last edited by Othen; May 12th, 2022 at 06:27.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2022, 18:13   #838
Derek UK
VOC Member

Reconsider all that you have just written. The car's gearing will be the same as it was. The 4 gears of the M41 are the same as the M40. You are just adding a 5th OD gear. Yes your speedo will be incorrect but you can adjust visually to how the speedo indicates the speed. Your change in tyre size will change both your gearing an how the speed is shown. There is no point in doing that. If you do indeed have an 1800 D OD with the fine gear for the black18 tooth gear I'm not sure what the speedo will show but the 1800 gear can be swapped for an Amazon one. Spend the money on changing that, not on the tyres. I have run an Amazon with a 4.10 axle and OD and it drives fine. You just have to get used to where the pointer is indicating on the speedo.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2022, 19:03   #839
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Reconsider all that you have just written. The car's gearing will be the same as it was. The 4 gears of the M41 are the same as the M40. You are just adding a 5th OD gear. Yes your speedo will be incorrect but you can adjust visually to how the speedo indicates the speed. Your change in tyre size will change both your gearing an how the speed is shown. There is no point in doing that. If you do indeed have an 1800 D OD with the fine gear for the black18 tooth gear I'm not sure what the speedo will show but the 1800 gear can be swapped for an Amazon one. Spend the money on changing that, not on the tyres. I have run an Amazon with a 4.10 axle and OD and it drives fine. You just have to get used to where the pointer is indicating on the speedo.
I think you must be pulling my leg Derek. Of course changing the rolling diameter (or circumference) will change the overall gearing :-).

My speedometer is measuring how fast the transmission is spinning... that is all.

You meant this as a joke... right?

:-) Alan
Old May 12th, 2022, 23:01   #840
Derek UK
VOC Member

It was to make you think. It's much cheaper to live with the speedo error and get so your brain tells you whether you are speeding or not. At this point I don't think you really know what the error is under road conditions?
As has been mentioned if you have no inhibitor switch and select reverse and drive backwards with the OD engaged you will wreck the box and/or the OD.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: