Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 640971

Replies : 1361

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2022, 09:17   #851
Othen
Premier Member

Default Tyre Sizes

When I bought GAM in January it badly needed 5 new tyres. The OEM size would have been 5.9 (150mm) x 15, but this was no longer available. The perceived wisdom here on the forum was that the best fit in modern sizes would be a 165/80R15 tyre. I wonder whether that is strictly true.

Here is a photo of a 1961 2 door Amazon with 5.9x15 tyres (taken from my Volvo Amazon - The Complete Story book by Richard Dredge):

... and here is one GAM with the original red wheels and 165/80R15 tyres:

... you may notice the wheel wells are rather more filled (to an extent due to the track spacers, but they don't change the diameter of course).

Now have a look at GAM with the silver wheels and 175/60R15 tyres:

... I think the spaces around the wheels are more similar.

A little simple mathematics shows that:

4.9x15 - equates to a rolling diameter of 24.6"
165/80R15 - equates to a rolling diameter of 25.25"
175/60R15 - equates to a rolling diameter of 23.4"

... so the two modern sizes are about an inch either side of the OEM tyre. In GAM's case this is fortunate in that the slightly smaller tyre fixes the speedometer inaccuracy issue very cheaply and simply.

In the case of a standard Amazon transmission (so either a M40 with a 4.1 rear axle, or a M41/OD and a 4.56 axle) then 175/70R15 would be give a closer rolling diameter (24.8") to the OEM tyre.

With hindsight (isn't that a wonderful thing) I'd have probably fitted 175/60R15 tyres to GAM from the outset if I had known the above, and would certainly go for 175/70R15 tyres for standard gearing.

:-)
Old May 15th, 2022, 13:30   #852
ITSv40
VOC Member

The silver wheels do look good. They are indeed early 144/5 wheels and hub caps- fitted to the early cars with opening rear side windows and the one piece chrome grill. By 1971 with the introduction of the one piece rear side window and three piece painted grill the hub caps had changed to almost flat discs secured by a central Philips screw. Nerd alert over😀
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2022, 16:08   #853
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
The silver wheels do look good. They are indeed early 144/5 wheels and hub caps- fitted to the early cars with opening rear side windows and the one piece chrome grill. By 1971 with the introduction of the one piece rear side window and three piece painted grill the hub caps had changed to almost flat discs secured by a central Philips screw. Nerd alert over😀
Wonderful. I want you on my pub quiz team if the subject is ever '1970s Volvo 144 trim'.

Alan
Old May 15th, 2022, 17:07   #854
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Wonderful. I want you on my pub quiz team if the subject is ever '1970s Volvo 144 trim'.

Alan
I remember the intimate details of ownership of my first Volvo 49 years ago.😀

My father bought me a 1969 145S for my 18 birthday in 1973 - and before anyone gets the wrong idea it was only the second birthday present he had bought, the first being my teddy bear. The Volvo was in dark blue with light blue upholstery and black rubber mats. It cemented a life long love of Volvo and continuous ownership to this day.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2022, 18:46   #855
Derek UK
VOC Member

The red 2 door in the Dredge book is a late car, probably 1967 or even later. LHD and with headrests. The UK didn't get the 2 door until the face lift for the 1965 model year. Europe got the 2 door with the previous model years, just after the introduction of the B18. The also got cloth faced and combination cloth and plastic seats which were never available in the UK. The 4 door was dropped with the introduction of the B20.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2022, 18:59   #856
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
The red 2 door in the Dredge book is a late car, probably 1967 or even later. LHD and with headrests. The UK didn't get the 2 door until the face lift for the 1965 model year. Europe got the 2 door with the previous model years, just after the introduction of the B18. The also got cloth faced and combination cloth and plastic seats which were never available in the UK. The 4 door was dropped with the introduction of the B20.
Thought they dropped the 4 door Amazon when they brought the 144 to the market?
Old May 16th, 2022, 00:36   #857
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Thought they dropped the 4 door Amazon when they brought the 144 to the market?
I think there was a bit of a cross over period. The 144 first appeared with the B18 in 1966, 1967 model year. Being a bit more modern it sold well so Volvo decided that they would concentrate the 4 door sales on the 144 so dropped the 4 door Amazon when they introduced the B20. 144 sales in the USA also increased so they never sold the Amazon there with the B20. Volvo were still a small company then and having 2 ranges with both 2 and 4 doors running at the same time for essentially the same market was a strain on their resources. They also knew that the Amazon's days were numbered. 144 production started as that of the PV stopped with just a small gap between them. The Duett carried on until 1967 for general sales but they still made a few more of them after that for public service use. Loyal Duett owners liked the rear space and that kept production going until the end of the B18. Volvo introduced the 145 Express and derivatives to try and keep them happy with only moderate success.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2022, 06:49   #858
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
I think there was a bit of a cross over period. The 144 first appeared with the B18 in 1966, 1967 model year. Being a bit more modern it sold well so Volvo decided that they would concentrate the 4 door sales on the 144 so dropped the 4 door Amazon when they introduced the B20. 144 sales in the USA also increased so they never sold the Amazon there with the B20. Volvo were still a small company then and having 2 ranges with both 2 and 4 doors running at the same time for essentially the same market was a strain on their resources. They also knew that the Amazon's days were numbered. 144 production started as that of the PV stopped with just a small gap between them. The Duett carried on until 1967 for general sales but they still made a few more of them after that for public service use. Loyal Duett owners liked the rear space and that kept production going until the end of the B18. Volvo introduced the 145 Express and derivatives to try and keep them happy with only moderate success.
Most erudite.

Old May 16th, 2022, 13:05   #859
Othen
Premier Member

Default Some engineering advice please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... I'm thinking that I will have to take the gearbox out (it looks really simple) and have this tap ready to have a go re-tapping the 5/8" hole. If there isn't enough metal left to do that I'll have to get the M16x2 helicoil kit I posted a link to above.

I can't help thinking there must be some common use for M16x2 to justify people making off-the-shelf taps and helicoil kits.

Curiouser...

Alan
I'm planning the OD inhibitor switch mission and have acquired this M16x2 helicoil kit (quire cheaply) in preparation:

First: I can confirm the OD inhibitor switch has a M16x2 thread, the inserts fit it exactly.

The supplied inserts are 20mm long - I'm guessing (although I have not removed it yet) this will be a bit long for the M41 gearbox lid as it is about twice as long as the thread on the switch. I've fitted helicoils many times previously, but have always used the whole length of the spring. My engineering question is can I just trim the insert down to the required length (probably around 10-12mm) before fitting it?

I rather suspect someone in our community has done this previously and can tell me how (I'm guessing with some sharp wire cutters from my sparky's box?).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; May 16th, 2022 at 13:11. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2022, 14:19   #860
packers1712

Alan,

You certainly can cut them down we do it regularly at work sometimes its quite tricky calculating how much to trim off, I guess the easiest way is to thread the switch into the helicoil and mark it assuming the thread doesn't protrude below the casing its to be mounted in!

Good luck!

Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post: