Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ouch!! - 1998 Spare Key Cost

Views : 1468

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2022, 16:09   #1
CosmicBike

Default Ouch!! - 1998 Spare Key Cost

My '98 V70R only came with a single key, so I've had a mechanical key cut just in case.
Spoke to my local Volvo dealer today, £120 for the key, plus £97 to programme it to the car.

And I thought running old cars was cheap...

Any other options out there, not including cutting the chip from the current key and taping it to the dash somewhere?
2007 Ford Galaxy (dog lugger)
Previous XC90 x 2, V70 x 2
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 16:51   #2
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233875435...53.m1438.l2649

This link should take you to a seller on ebay:~ £12:00 cut to your existing key with a removable piece for the chip to activate the ignition.
KEY BLANK VOLVO 850 960 C70 S60 S70 S80 V70 V90 XC90 CUT TO CODE PHOTO
A descent solution if you can use it?
Regards Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Key.jpg (154.4 KB, 5 views)
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 18:31   #3
Gonzobard

My local shoe repair / key cutting shop made me a spare for about £45, iirc, chip and all. Worked fine.
Gonzobard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 20:09   #4
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Looked at mail a little too quickly so my first reply may not be suitable:~

Timson shops do them as mentioned- not all though as they are a franchise operation so depends on what they inherited/purchased.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2022, 21:53   #5
CosmicBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233875435...53.m1438.l2649

This link should take you to a seller on ebay:~ £12:00 cut to your existing key with a removable piece for the chip to activate the ignition.
KEY BLANK VOLVO 850 960 C70 S60 S70 S80 V70 V90 XC90 CUT TO CODE PHOTO
A descent solution if you can use it?
Regards Bob.
That's where I got my mechanical key from.

I didn't think the Timpsons etc could do them? I thought they needed to be coded to the car or something? I have a decent local locksmith (if he's still there) who found new keys for my Capri, so I'll have a chat with him.
Old May 13th, 2022, 23:19   #6
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
I didn't think the Timpsons etc could do them?
They can't.

Quote:
I thought they needed to be coded to the car or something?
Correct.

If you've one key, a cable-tie to the lock-ring works. Then Timpsons for the rest. Not perfect, but it works. Volvo's security is known for being awkward.

Quote:
My local shoe repair / key cutting shop made me a spare for about £45, iirc, chip and all. Worked fine.
Not sure how. Please say who this was.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; May 13th, 2022 at 23:22.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2022, 10:25   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

The key (pun intended) in this question is the date of the car, my 98 V70 has the rolling code chip which 'talks' to the car each time it is used and resets the code for the next time, these cannot be done by Timpsons or even our local indy locksmith who isn't normally beaten by anything, you can get the 'mechanical copy' which doesn't have a chip so won't start the car although Timpsons had to order in the blank especially for mine. Earlier cars had a fixed code chip which could be copied by the likes of Timpsons on to another chipped key.
In the 11 years I've been on the forum this question has come up many times and as of yet no one has found anywhere other than Volvo that can access the security software to make a new rolling code key, and generally they want more than the £120 + 97 in the original post, that isn't an unusual price for a dealer making a proper key we had to get one for a KIA about 9 years ago and it came to a similar price once they'd charged for the key, cutting the key, assembling the key, coding the key, opening the car door to try it in the ignition, refreshments for the team of technicians, etc etc.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2022, 11:25   #8
CosmicBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
The key (pun intended) in this question is the date of the car, my 98 V70 has the rolling code chip which 'talks' to the car each time it is used and resets the code for the next time, these cannot be done by Timpsons or even our local indy locksmith who isn't normally beaten by anything, you can get the 'mechanical copy' which doesn't have a chip so won't start the car although Timpsons had to order in the blank especially for mine. Earlier cars had a fixed code chip which could be copied by the likes of Timpsons on to another chipped key.
In the 11 years I've been on the forum this question has come up many times and as of yet no one has found anywhere other than Volvo that can access the security software to make a new rolling code key, and generally they want more than the £120 + 97 in the original post, that isn't an unusual price for a dealer making a proper key we had to get one for a KIA about 9 years ago and it came to a similar price once they'd charged for the key, cutting the key, assembling the key, coding the key, opening the car door to try it in the ignition, refreshments for the team of technicians, etc etc.
That's how I understand my '98 key to work. I've also read that any attempt to copy it will result in the car only being able to 'talk' to one key so the spare becomes a paperweight anyway!
After getting quotes elsewhere, the dealer price is actually pretty reasonable so I'll go with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2022, 12:03   #9
4x4
Premier Member

When I bought my 850 over 2 years ago it only had one key. I ordered a new key from FRF Volvo at a cost of £79 and booked it into my local Volvo dealer to have it programmed at a cost of £69.

Due to the Covid lockdown FRF couldn't get hold of a key blank. I spoke to many key cutting companies all over the UK and only one person said he could cut and programme a key for the 850.

In the end my original keys turned up and I never had to use his services
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2022, 07:32   #10
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Quote:
I didn't think the Timpsons etc could do them?
They can't.

Correct.
INCORRECT - as a previous post points out some branches of Timpsons do have the correct code reading equipment and software to code Volvo keys.

Timpsons bought out a rival company some 5 years ago - "the coding machines" they thereby acquired were randomly distributed across the UK. Individual branches do not seem to know which branches have them, our local branch at Hempstead did not a few years ago, but the manager suggested checking every few weeks as when franchised branches close the hardware is farmed out to the branches.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote