Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermittent stalling

Views : 3633

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2019, 13:40   #31
scout70

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhifi View Post
The stall is still happening, on my way home from work, as I approached a roundabout, I felt a hesitation in the engine, then when I dipped the clutch to come to a stop the revs were all over the place and then stalled.

Same old story, ignition off, back on again, start the car and it's fine for the rest of the journey.

Still no error messages show on the dash, no VIDA codes showing, nothing. It's so intermittent, and I can't 'recreate' it, ie I can't make it do it, it just does it randomly, not every journey, more recently it's been once every couple of days. Once it's done it's done its stall, it's fine for the rest of that journey, and quite offten the rest of the day.

So my question to anyone with any more experience and knowledge to me is: What can make a car stall in this way? I guess I need to make a list and start working through it, part by part...
Just a guess but fuel starvation? Dirty fuel filter... fuel pump issue?
scout70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 14:23   #32
superhifi

There are so many things it could be!

On my list so far:

Swirl Solenoid Valve
O2 Sensor
Alternator Fly Wheel sticking (this was a suggestion from the diagnosis part of VIDA after selecting the symptoms, along with 'check fuses' )
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter (although i've read this isn't something that ever needs replacing, which seems strange...)

The bit that is baffling me is that once it's stalled, and i restart the car it's then fine, and will quite happily complete the rest of the journey, even if its a couple of hundred miles without issue.

I've noted that it happens once the engine has warmed up, ie got to temp.

The only thing that happened differently this morning when I was driving to work was that 'Reduced Engine Performance' briefly flashed up on the dash, which hopefully means there will be a DTC code for me to look at tonight when I get home and get VIDA hooked up. Hopefully that will give me some pointers. Hopefully.
superhifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 16:25   #33
superhifi

Just an update for anyone that's following, there was a DTC code waiting for me, but it was very generic, and quite vague. I have a screen shot on my computer at home which i'll add on if I remember.

Anyway, I drove down to Weymouth on Saturday morning, car didn't skip a beat the whole way there, or on the return journey last night. Then, on the way to work this morning I had my usual hesitation and stall.

I'm going to have a look at the Alternator fly wheel this evening, primarily as it's what the troubleshooting side VIDA is suggesting, and also because it's relativly easy to access...

On the plus side though, the money spent on a new Throttle was not wasted, I have seen improved MPG and performance since fitting, getting an extra 5 MPG than I was used to on the trip down and back to Weymouth.
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 08:11   #34
rcesar

Thumbs up

I'd like to thank everyone here that is keeping this thread updated with their investigations and results.

I'm facing a problem that looks similar to yours. I have a 2011 C30 T5 2.5 (also Gasoline/Petrol). Automatic transmission.

I'm owning this car for exactly one month, and have faced this problem at least three times.

It may happen a few minutes after the engine was turned on, and also when I'm driving for an hour.

I feel the engine loosing power, and then it turns off even if I am pushing the accelerator the deepest I can.

Then, the yellow engine/exhaust panel light goes on, and after I turn the engine on again, the air conditioner stops working (just throws out ambient temperature air). Also, the car looses a lot of power, and sometimes it stalls lots of times (even if I'm pushing the gas pedal), and after a few minutes the problem is solved completely by itself.

It's frustrating because it isn't reproduceable. So when I take it to a mechanic professional, it's really difficult to guess what is going on.

Well, maybe my problem is totally different from yours, but please keep us updated with your evolution in this problem. Thanks!
rcesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 14:24   #35
superhifi

Well i believe I have now sussed this out. I have narrowed it down to a fault in the wiring loom that feeds the Throttle Body, and although I haven't fixed it yet, i've got a bodge in place that has seen the issue disappear for over 2 months now...

I believe it to be a temperature related issue, as it would always occurr as the engine got to 'normal' tempeature, and the plan is to disconnect and remove the loom, and then rewire it. I'm an electrical engineer by trade so i'm fortunate to have the facilities at work to do this properly.

rcesar, have you got ViDA? DO you have any warning lights on? Where are you based?
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 14:14   #36
superhifi

And as a follow up, I have now rewired the loom running to the throttle body, replacing the cable all the way back to the main loom on top of the engine. (see the photo, where the new conduit is clearly visible).

I noted the cables I removed were discoloured at the throttle end, and did not appear to be in great condition as they didn't flex very well. Since this repair I have seen better MPG, increased throttle response, especially at low revs, and of course fixed the stalling issue.