Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rusty 2010 V70!!!!!!!!

Views : 3449

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2013, 18:43   #11
beer guzzler

Yup its genuine. volvo markings in bottom of right hand side
beer guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 18:53   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer guzzler View Post
The paint depth tests were within spec! so paint same as when left factory.
doesnt prove its original . how did the water get under the paint to rust the only non galvanised panel on the car?
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 18:57   #13
beer guzzler

very true, and I hope it is caused post production, at least then i can stop worrying about the quality of the rest of the car! I also wondered why volvo cars have a 12 year rust warranty except the v70 only has 8?
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 17:35   #14
Thehood
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
doesnt prove its original . how did the water get under the paint to rust the only non galvanised panel on the car?
Tbh i would be very suprised if a repaired area had exactly the same paint depth as the factory finish .......that would be some coincidence
Thehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 17:38   #15
Thehood
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Tbh i would be very suprised if a repaired area had exactly the same paint depth as the factory finish .......that would be some coincidence

If it deffo hasnt had a new screen and the paint depth is factory spec i would be inclined to think the problem is with volvo
Thehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 18:02   #16
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

If the finish is a factory (assuming it has been measured by PTG) as any respray would easily be above 200 microns, the regular paint finishes on cars these days are very low 100-150 most aiming around the 120 -130 region for paint thickness (total thickness including primer, colour and clear).

Then I simply cannot see anything but the blame resting with Volvo - the old stone chip claim is used far to often. Regarding claims you really need to dig your heels in -I presume being 2010 you have either recently run out of or are going to soon any manufacturers warranty from Volvo of 3 years.

I would attempt getting any claim in fast either under a paint defect issue which is usually 3 years or the rust one (however this latter one is usually jumping hoops requiring body inspections). I have recently had the same with my MX5 next week it visits the bodyshop with a split cost after them going no, digging my heels in over it I noticed some wording that scuppered their "no" it is also visiting for some general paintwork to sort stone chips.

Two of the best known ones regarding rust coming through tends to be either surface corrosion (which is usually covered "only" by the paint defect warranty of 3 years) or stone chip or if not how it has occurred by getting out on whether "body inspections" have been done.

There is a big hole you can blast through though in the longer rust one if they claim "surface corrosion" as highlighted by me to Mazda - i.e. since when has "surface corrosion" not been a form of the more general term "corrosion". By definition it has to be...your warranty covers "corrosion" coming from the inside out. Soon changed their tune .

Good luck, but you need guts on this one.

Last edited by Ninja59; Sep 12th, 2013 at 18:07.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 18:05   #17
tommyweaves
Premier Member

My V70 is nearly 3 years old, with 62k miles. It has a few stone chips as you'd expect but NONE of them are rusting in the slightest. I'm inclined to agree with Clan that it's had paintwork done since leaving the factory.

Can you not negotiate a discount on the sale price from the dealer and then use that money to get it repaired properly?
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 19:12   #18
beer guzzler

I have had a response from Volvo UK, they were very apologetic and are chasing the dealer and the body shop on my behalf. They did clearly say the claim would be looked at after the report is sent to them on Monday and will contact me then.
I expect their first response will be a knock back but I wont give up. I will be getting independent reports just in case.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 16:06   #19
beer guzzler

Had a response from Volvo! I bet you can guess what they said?

Stone chips is their explanation! So by that they must have ruled out any repair work since leaving Volvo. That in itself is a plus as I expected them to say no on first claim. So all i need to do now is prove its not stone chips, or if it it can be proved it is stone chips then claim its not fit for purpous!
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 21:24   #20
Tupper
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer guzzler View Post
Had a response from Volvo! I bet you can guess what they said?

Stone chips is their explanation! So by that they must have ruled out any repair work since leaving Volvo. That in itself is a plus as I expected them to say no on first claim. So all i need to do now is prove its not stone chips, or if it it can be proved it is stone chips then claim its not fit for purpous!

Thats a disgrace one thing you expect from volvo is decent build quality
Tupper is offline   Reply With Quote