Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

gearbox fluid cooler fitted , good so far

Views : 2401

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2019, 19:18   #1
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

Default gearbox fluid cooler fitted , good so far

we're all familiar with the sticking solenoid problem our geartronics have , mine being typical, for about 4 years mine has "hard shifted "from 3rd to fourth , not so bad for most of the year, but really bad in a hot summer and/or city stop start, over the weekend I fitted a Volvo oil cooler , dead easy . Today was my first city driving , not summer I know , but two hours of stop start and my gear changes are the same as when the engine was cold, it hasn't cured the problem but it never gets as bad as before , I think I'll call this a result , there's loads of Volvo coolers out there, mainly off t6's, you just have to find one complete with hoses . Here's of a vid of how too, he even shows you how to do a fluid change .
Dave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gnTe9RLIDI
galloot633 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to galloot633 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 19:49   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galloot633 View Post
we're all familiar with the sticking solenoid problem our geartronics have , mine being typical, for about 4 years mine has "hard shifted "from 3rd to fourth , not so bad for most of the year, but really bad in a hot summer and/or city stop start, over the weekend I fitted a Volvo oil cooler , dead easy . Today was my first city driving , not summer I know , but two hours of stop start and my gear changes are the same as when the engine was cold, it hasn't cured the problem but it never gets as bad as before , I think I'll call this a result , there's loads of Volvo coolers out there, mainly off t6's, you just have to find one complete with hoses . Here's of a vid of how too, he even shows you how to do a fluid change .
Dave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gnTe9RLIDI
Hi, thanks for that, I've had my used cooler ( £25 off ebay ) sat on the shelf waiting for the weather to improve to fit it.

Good video.

Did you get your skid plate off as easily as him or did you have to remove bumper.

may do mine next week

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 00:01   #3
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

It is easy , just brute force and bend the bottom of the bumper out of the way, what he doesn't do in the vid is bolt the return line to a hole just above the rad, just for extra security , I was a bit nervous cutting through the original cooler line , but no problems at all
Dave
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 07:20   #4
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Thanks for that Dave.

When I bought my XC90 a year ago, I tried to remove the skid plate to repaint it

I got it to the point where I could almost get it out but was scared of breaking the plastic bumper so I refitted it and painted it in situ.

I'll have another go as soon as the 10mm / 3/8th brass hose connector turns up from Ebay.

I do a fair bit of towing so this should be a worthwhile upgrade.

Old Apr 6th, 2019, 09:18   #5
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

It does eventually come off ,it's a case of brute force and ignorance , don't forget to hang on to the original piece of pipe that connected to the rad , perfect for doing a fluid drain/change
Dave
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 15:59   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Well you were correct Dave.

I applied a lot more force to get the skid plate to clear the subframe and it was off in no time.

The oil cooler is all now nicely bolted in and everything back in place.

I only have it to plumb in once the barbed hose connector arrives but at least the oil cooler pipes are sat nicely in place.

All the hard work done just a nice simple bit to finish off.

All of my fluid has been changed recently but I'll still take the opportunity to refresh and fill the new larger capacity system with 5 ltrs of new 3309 whilst I'm on checking the levels.

Thanks for the original post and video. It was the kick up the backside that I needed to get mine fitted.

Last edited by S60D5-185; Apr 6th, 2019 at 16:46.
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 18:29   #7
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

Great to help , got to admit I was a bit nervous myself, but dead easy in the end
Dave
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 19:32   #8
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

I remembered the side bracket as well after you mentioned it.

Old Apr 13th, 2019, 15:20   #9
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

All now done and dusted with no leaks.

Old Apr 15th, 2019, 17:38   #10
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

That's great to here , my main worry was leaks , at the weekend I drov home 200 miles with lots of stop starts on the m6 , this always caused third to fourth flares in the path , not a hint this time , wish I fitted the cooler years ago
Dave