Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New tyres after 11k miles on my XC60.

Views : 1472

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2019, 14:04   #1
Supra Edd

Default New tyres after 11k miles on my XC60.

I bought my XC60 awd last May, the MOT at the time said that I needed new rear tyres, so the Volvo dealer replaced them for me - all good!

I just had a service and its MOT (at a different Volvo dealer), those new tyres are already down to 2mm so already need replacing (withing a few weeks no doubt). The tyres put on are 'Royal Performance' a quick search and I find they are a whopping £79.99 per tyre haha.

On the fronts I have Pirelli Scorpion Zero, these have 2.4mm left, and have a date of 2015 on them. I suspect these are the originals, so have so far done 42k miles.

No suprise that a generic £80 tyre is doing badly compated to a Pirelli £180 (£180 on black circles, the Volvo dealer is quoting £230!!!) tyre.

But, considering I havnt had the car a year yet, its still in warranty. Do you guys think i have a resonable case to go back to the original Volvo dealership and complain about these tyres to try and get some sort of compensation towards purchase of new ones?

Cheers,

Edd...
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 14:26   #2
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra Edd View Post
I bought my XC60 awd last May, the MOT at the time said that I needed new rear tyres, so the Volvo dealer replaced them for me - all good!

I just had a service and its MOT (at a different Volvo dealer), those new tyres are already down to 2mm so already need replacing (withing a few weeks no doubt). The tyres put on are 'Royal Performance' a quick search and I find they are a whopping £79.99 per tyre haha.

On the fronts I have Pirelli Scorpion Zero, these have 2.4mm left, and have a date of 2015 on them. I suspect these are the originals, so have so far done 42k miles.

No suprise that a generic £80 tyre is doing badly compated to a Pirelli £180 (£180 on black circles, the Volvo dealer is quoting £230!!!) tyre.

But, considering I havnt had the car a year yet, its still in warranty. Do you guys think i have a resonable case to go back to the original Volvo dealership and complain about these tyres to try and get some sort of compensation towards purchase of new ones?

Cheers,

Edd...
No, I don't. You should have done something at the time they put the tyres on. What did you expect from unbranded tyres put on at the dealer's expense to get you an MoT?
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 15:05   #3
jasmith44
jasmith44

It's worth a try,you never know.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 15:11   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I am astounded that a Volvo dealership would fit cheap chinky ditchfinders.... just to check they are "Royal Performance" not "Uniroyal" ??

Shame on them - I don't rate your chance of getting any contribution from them but they should enjoy some harsh feedback from you. I would ask that they fit new Pirelli's at cost?

Generally there is no such thing as a cheap tyre - some are better value than others but none are cheap.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 15:49   #5
Supra Edd

yeh i never really check the quality/cost of them when i got the car, and yup they are 'Royal Performance'. - I too thought 'its a main Volvo dealer, they wont put anythint that bad on them'.

I've never known a tyre to wear down so quickly, and that even goes back to the days of being a bit of a ricer fitting ditch finders and thinking im DK! haha.

I'm going to give it go, its worth a call atleast.
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 10:32   #6
Fimac

I had this issue. The Volvo dealer put cheap tyres on the car when they sold it to me, and when they were worn out on my specially arranged service they wanted to put Pirelli’s on. Not really a surprise !
Fimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 10:49   #7
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimac View Post
I had this issue. The Volvo dealer put cheap tyres on the car when they sold it to me, and when they were worn out on my specially arranged service they wanted to put Pirelli’s on. Not really a surprise !
Was it a Selekt car ? I thought there was something in the agreement that tyres had to be of a recognised brand.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 14:45   #8
chanhonam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I am astounded that a Volvo dealership would fit cheap chinky ditchfinders.... just to check they are "Royal Performance" not "Uniroyal" ??

Shame on them - I don't rate your chance of getting any contribution from them but they should enjoy some harsh feedback from you. I would ask that they fit new Pirelli's at cost?

Generally there is no such thing as a cheap tyre - some are better value than others but none are cheap.
-------------
Can I point out that the term chinky is equivalent to the n word for a black person and is therefore offensive and uncalled for.
chanhonam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chanhonam For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 22:15   #9
The Thong
VOC Member

Scorpions are well worth the money, I had a set on my Freelander and they lasted very well with no compromise in grip.

TT
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 23:53   #10
HDAV
Master Member

Would be odd for fronts to be original and rears need replacement unless tracking is out and wear is uneven? Perhaps they swapped the rears to the front and fitted el cheapo to the rear? Worth a phone call but doubt you will get very far, might be worth checking the wear and getting an alignment done had my spxc60 aligned recently and according to computer print out it was quite out!

I’m rotating my tyres so will 4 next year I guess.......run winter tyres for 4 months and they took the brunt of the poor alignment.....
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote