Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 T5 cabro LPG Conversion

Views : 9925

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2009, 17:32   #1
M D E
Master Member

Default C70 T5 cabro LPG Conversion

My 2003 C70 T5 is just having an LPG conversion carried out after many months / years of decision making ....

Previously my 1995 960 was on LPG for 20,000 miles.

Having the BRC multi-point injection system fitted LPGA approved with flashlube for added valve seat protection. Having a smaller donut tank fitted in the spare wheel recess so I will not loose any boot space (cannot afford to loose any space in this small boot !) estimate a 200 plus mile range ...

2 year warrenty given with free system check after 1000 miles (that will not take long as I cover 500 miles a week!)

System starts up on petrol for seconds then switches over .... Manual button on dash allows you to change fuel system over at any time, this also gives a 4 light LED gas tank fuel level.

Will keep you posted when I collect after the 5 day conversion.......
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
M D E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 20:38   #2
Herestandsaman

Default c70 lpg

I had my 2005 c70 converted to LPG, it is great, so cheap to run.
Though range on full tank of LPG gives around 160-175 miles, bit of a pain if going on holiday as you have to plan a route with gas stations.
Herestandsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:34   #3
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Lpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon marsh View Post
I had my 2005 c70 converted to LPG, it is great, so cheap to run.
Though range on full tank of LPG gives around 160-175 miles, bit of a pain if going on holiday as you have to plan a route with gas stations.
Hi
Had my 740GLE converted Feb 70 ltr tank about 60ish ltrs
I get about 280 tank never have to start on that other suff . I must run some out I still have about eighth tank of it and better use it before it goes off and stick in a drop for back up. LPG heres 49p ltr petrols £1.03p[ wash out my mouth with soap] eqivalate about 55p .
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 21:56   #4
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Hi
Had my 740GLE converted Feb 70 ltr tank about 60ish ltrs
I get about 280 tank never have to start on that other suff . I must run some out I still have about eighth tank of it and better use it before it goes off and stick in a drop for back up. LPG heres 49p ltr petrols £1.03p[ wash out my mouth with soap] eqivalate about 55p .
Regards
Mike B
Hi Mike,

What system do you have fitted? The reason I ask is you say you dont start on petrol.

Do you know how your system vapourises the gas? All the other system I have seen need to start on petrol, and run until it heats the coolant up enough (25 oc) which in turn feeds the vapouriser that gives a helping hand in turning the liquid gas into a vapour. It then auto switches to running on gas normaly after a mile or so.

I would be intrested to find out as I am currently putting about 10 quid a month petrol in. The next time I get a converstion done I will certainly look at your setup.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 09:57   #5
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Lpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Hi Mike,

What system do you have fitted? The reason I ask is you say you dont start on petrol.

Do you know how your system vapourises the gas? All the other system I have seen need to start on petrol, and run until it heats the coolant up enough (25 oc) which in turn feeds the vapouriser that gives a helping hand in turning the liquid gas into a vapour. It then auto switches to running on gas normaly after a mile or so.

I would be intrested to find out as I am currently putting about 10 quid a month petrol in. The next time I get a converstion done I will certainly look at your setup.
Hi I will check later when I go down to the car . Dont forget I ran an old Austin A40 for LPG for 25/30 years , only used petrol once once a month to put lead around the valves. as they where very soft [ and I naver had troubles]
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 12:21   #6
M D E
Master Member

conversion complete .. Covered 350 miles this weekend (can afford to now !) BRC system is very very neat, lots of electronics under the bonnet ! The change over from gas to petrol is seamless this can be done at anytime. I leave it on auto which switches over to gas after 20 -40 seconds of starting. 160 miles is my range which is about £16 in gas. It runs very smooth on LPG you can hardly tell the difference in fuels, if pushed I would say petrol has alittle more pickup but it's very close.

P.s my engine is the pre-ford with hydraulic valve lifters.
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 12:56   #7
M D E
Master Member

After my first 1000 mile tune up (see other thread) with the same performance as petrol I'm getting 220 miles on 40L driving careful ... Towing I can drop it to 150 miles ....
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 22:52   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Mike has a traditional style mixer ring system haence the automatic gas start. With the modern injection systems it is possibe to start on gas but not all cars like running on LPG when cold. There is an emergancy start you can use if you have run out of petrol or you can set it to auto start on gas every time.

LPG boils at -40c so it will vapourise from cold. The problem some systems have is they can not regulate the flow correctly at very low temperatures.
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 20:45   #9
petrolhead69

as said by others, even the injection systems can start from cold on gas, it`s usually a setting in advanced mode in the programming software, it`s about £50 for the dongle to activate advanced modo on the OMVL software. as well as the gas density and therefor AFR fluctuating at low temperatures it`s also harmful to the vaporisers to start on gas from cold because of thermal shock, when the coolant is cold the lpg vaporising causes the vaporiser to cool so much that frost forms on it, then in a matter of minutes the engine brings the coolant temp up to 88 degrees, imagine the stress on the poor wee cheap cast ally vaporiser, every single day being rapidly cooled from ambient to close to minus 40, then in the space of a few minutes being heated to close to boiling. after a couple of years cracks begin to form in the ally. starting on petrol give the vaporiser a much easier life.
dont know if that made too much sense, had a few
petrolhead69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petrolhead69 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 22:57   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The temperature does not suddenly jump up as the engine water temperature starts off cold and then gradulay builds up.

I've been starting on LPG on a daily basis for more than 10 years and have never had a problem with a reducer casting cracking.
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: