Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Talking to Leonardo if running Linux/Ubuntu

Views : 12109

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 12:55   #1
knobstar

Default Talking to Leonardo if running Linux/Ubuntu

Hi all,

I know it's a bit of a small audience but I thought I'd share a/the solution to getting a computer running linux to talk to leonardo via the AEB software. I've posted this on lpgforum.co.uk but thought I'd share with fellow Volvo owners, too.

Massive props to my brother-out-law, Tom Parkin, for nursing me through to getting Leonardo to talk to my laptop through Linux. The route cause was that Leonardo doesn't ask (the user) which port to use it asks the OS for a list of all serial ports. It was then sending a little "is anyone there" message out on the port to figure out where the ECU is attached. If wine doesn't know about any serial ports, the list it provides to Leonardo will be empty, and Leonardo will be out of luck.

Follow these steps and you'll be able to connect up your Ubuntu-running laptop just as you did/do with windows - I wanted to be windows-free for good and hence pursued the Linux option until fruition. Prerequisities to this are that you have wine installed and that you've therefore got the AEB programme installed.

First, we create a symbolic link called com1 that Wine will treat as a serial device. Do this by entering the following into a terminal in Ubuntu and pressing enter:

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

Second, type in the following into the terminal to give you permission to use the USB/serial converter(!):

sudo usermod -aG dialout matt (where 'matt' is your username e.g Joe Bloggs)

Pop in this command, too, such that any confusion between com1 and COM1 is prevented:

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/COM1

Now, restart the computer (logging off should suffice but restart just to be sure) and off you go - If I plug into the 'ECU' then fire up the AEB software it works perfectly for me every time.

Hope this helps others as it did me - I'm learning to love linux as the minority OS :-)
knobstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 00:14   #2
knobstar

Thanks for making sticky, mods :-)
knobstar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knobstar For This Useful Post: