Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How often check and replace handbrake shoes?

Views : 757

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2019, 11:41   #1
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Default How often check and replace handbrake shoes?

Just wondering how often I should check and replace my hand brake shoes?
Also is there a way to see how worn they are without removing the wheel, caliper, brake disc etc?

The car has done 139,300 miles and the brakes shoes were last replaced at 122,072.
I recently had to adjust the handbrake at the brake lever and it required quite a lot of turns on the adjuster.

Car is a 2002 v70
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 12:09   #2
JoeNinety

Given their propensity to self destruct, I would, as a minimum, check every three to six months, much the same as you might do for all braking components (but then that would be a weekly!). That said, they are only really doing work "at rest". If you know when they went in new, it helps, if you do not know that, then check them, especially for de-lamination of the linings.

No real way of checking their condition without having the brake discs off.
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help
JoeNinety is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeNinety For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 12:57   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Tough question

1) Removing a brake caliper and bracket every 3 to 6 months seems excessive.

2) The timing used for inspection of the glide pin lube might be appropriate.

3) Given that you just ran your adjuster a lot maybe NOW is a good time to see how the past 17K have treated your new shoes. What quality level of brake parts do you think were used?

The thing to fear is the glue giving out. The linings are glued not riveted.

As a precaution, when driving during wet weather and after a long stint of braking, I apply the handbrake to warm the shoes and hopefully dry them a bit.
Frankly, the design of our parking brakes is so lame I doubt the full length of the shoes lies against the drum completely.
I know I'm not squeezing them dry. I just want to heat 'em up a little.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 15:00   #4
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Thanks for the info all.

It sounds like I need to bite the bullet and remove the calliper and disc to check it, just a little nervous about that as this would be the most in depth work I have done on my car.
When checking them am I just looking for wear levels and if it looks like the friction material is coming away from the backing metal?

Also can I get away with just checking one side or should I check both?

I am not sure what quality of brake parts were used, it was fitted by a small local garage when with the previous owner.

Also what is a safe brand to go for if they need replacement?
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 18:04   #5
JoeNinety

You will need to check both sides, they can wear/deteriorate differently.

In terms of the standard of different brands, you pays your money, you takes your choice. In your case, best to go via an approved/professional Volvo Parts supplier. If I was to recommend a brand, someone would just come along and "dis" it, so I won't. All brake parts "should" be made to a certain standard to be sold in the UK.

There is a good video on youtube about dismantling the rear brakes, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t62t5vY_bA. The things they didn't mention:

1. wind back the nut for the handbrake cable.
2. The brake disc may not just fall off with one bang of a mallet - I had to use a puller to get mine off.
3. The shoe retainer springs can be a PITA to remove and refit. I got a set of shoes and a new spring kit off eBay.
4. When fitting new shoes, ensure that the top shoe does not get snagged on the top rear hub bolt, otherwise you won't get the disc back on.

You may need to be prepared to fit new discs and pads while you are at it!
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help

Last edited by JoeNinety; Jun 27th, 2019 at 18:08.
JoeNinety is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeNinety For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 21:37   #6
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Have a dust mask ready as brakes make lots of ...dust.

A compressed air line is helpful.

Have a full can of brake cleaner at the ready. Have some wadded up scrap rags or some such to catch the filth as it sluices off the brake hardware.

You want the spring kit so you have the option to cut the old ones.
Eyeball 'em to ensure the new ones match the old ones.

I'd go for the Volvo brand shoes as the ones in my car are Volvo and grabbed well. There's no telling what cheaper parts' QC is.

Have a thin lube like plain silicone ready for the lever block.

Have a wire wheel (drill driven) ready. There'll be a bunch of cleaning you want to do. Wheel-to-rotor contact surfaces are always full of crumbles. Rotor-to-hub contact surfaces demand cleaning.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 22:03   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubber View Post
Just wondering how often I should check and replace my hand brake shoes?
Also is there a way to see how worn they are without removing the wheel, caliper, brake disc etc?

The car has done 139,300 miles and the brakes shoes were last replaced at 122,072.
I recently had to adjust the handbrake at the brake lever and it required quite a lot of turns on the adjuster.

Car is a 2002 v70
change the shoes and retaining springs every time you renew the disc ,
technically the shoes don't wear of course unless the cables are sticking or car is driven with the handbrake on , this happens a lot with the XC90 ! ... Just look after it and don't ignore strange grinding/squeak noises and it will give you excellent service .
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 00:06   #8
marcb
Master Member

Have to admit we rarely use the handbrake as it's auto - I know that's against advice and it's prompted me to use it more to stop it seizing.
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 09:14   #9
Brendan W
Premier Member

17000 on new shoes. They are only settling in which will take a bit of time as they are seldom if ever used when moving.
Watch for a loud clack when reversing from parked and or a sudden increase in lever travel of the order of 40mm.
If in doubt go in and check. Look closely for daylight under one or other end of the shoe liner. Mind you if you have noticed a big increase in travel there will be a lot of daylight. Some on here have opened up to find the liner disappeared?!
If you remove them, best practice is to replace the fiddly springs. I have reused them. I replaced the shoes in 2010 at 92000 as a precaution. There was a rash of broken hubs about that time. They were replaced again in 2016 at 164000 with a new disk. Haven't been in there since.

Last edited by Brendan W; Jun 28th, 2019 at 09:17.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 10:00   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
Have to admit we rarely use the handbrake as it's auto - I know that's against advice and it's prompted me to use it more to stop it seizing.
Do you realise that in P both the front wheels are still free to spin in opposite directions? You really Must use the parking brake it is the law for a reason of course !