Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 strong petrol smell

Views : 590

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2019, 16:05   #1
big yinn

Default V50 strong petrol smell

My 2008 V50 2lt has a strong petrol smell arond the front of the car when its been run. I cant see any obvious leaks or drips.
Does anyone have a suggestion as where to start looking or likely causes? It it just a case of following the fuel lines and seeing if any are wet when its running?
I've had a look around the engine bay and cant see anything untoward.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
big yinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 10:20   #2
big yinn

Default Cause located!

Having carried out further work on the car, I happened to notice the fuel lines underneath the car looked a bit oily. Sure enough its petrol deposits.
Looks like the fuel lines have corroded where they are held in place by a bracket on the floor pan, directly under where the pedals are. Will need to replace at least part of the fuel lines.

Anyone any suggestions of the best way to do this?
Cut the corroded section out and replace with rubber fuel line and connectors, or replace the whole line?
Old May 21st, 2020, 10:47   #3
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by big yinn View Post
Having carried out further work on the car, I happened to notice the fuel lines underneath the car looked a bit oily. Sure enough its petrol deposits.
Looks like the fuel lines have corroded where they are held in place by a bracket on the floor pan, directly under where the pedals are. Will need to replace at least part of the fuel lines.

Anyone any suggestions of the best way to do this?
Cut the corroded section out and replace with rubber fuel line and connectors, or replace the whole line?
I always thought when fuel lines go you have to replace the whole section back to the nearest connection, as if part of the line has failed, the rest of the section is suspect...
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:30   #4
big yinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
I always thought when fuel lines go you have to replace the whole section back to the nearest connection, as if part of the line has failed, the rest of the section is suspect...
Thats what Im wondering....
Old May 21st, 2020, 19:53   #5
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

This sounds similar to what's happened with our 1.8l petrol, the fuel line corroded in the area where it curves round the front of the bulkhead/floor pan.
We replaced the complete part from Volvo. If yours is the same fitting you will need a special Volvo tool to get the connector on the engine end disconnected.
Luckily the dealership that we buy parts from let us borrow the tool, it's like a collar that slots on the top of the joint, you push down and (eventually) it releases.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missing Lincs For This Useful Post: