Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My15 V60 D4. Giving off oily fumes

Views : 26878

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 17:21   #111
advandam

Default egr pipe

Hi all, the egr pipe is just two 10mm nuts that you can get to from the battery box area with the right length extentions. Be careful though I have had the top bolt nearly all the way our and it has now sheared off, 188k so I plugged the hole with a turned tapered nut and a flat plate bolted on over the top. I have unplugged the erg wire for the moving arm and wierdly no error fault on the new volvo update runs better spools quicker etc....
advandam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to advandam For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 15:08   #112
julietabenegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by advandam View Post
Hi all, the egr pipe is just two 10mm nuts that you can get to from the battery box area with the right length extentions. Be careful though I have had the top bolt nearly all the way our and it has now sheared off, 188k so I plugged the hole with a turned tapered nut and a flat plate bolted on over the top. I have unplugged the erg wire for the moving arm and wierdly no error fault on the new volvo update runs better spools quicker etc....
Please tell us more. Exactly what tool and extender did you use? Did you completely disassemble the battery box area to gain access? Have you achieved that there is no error by unplugging only the EGR connector?
Thank you Advandam for your great feedback!
julietabenegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 20:25   #113
Trevor v60

I have the same problem.when ur in traffic no wind fumes enter the car.was also told rocket head gasket by volvo.174e +vat to buy from VOLVO.
0 20w oil so thin and gap and out ot comes.
Still haven't ot fixed as my local volvo dealer lost the franchise.
Trevor v60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 12:22   #114
Chrisdmadd

I've just paid a local garage £220 to replace my weeping rocker cover gasket.

Stretch bolts had to be ordered from Volvo to replace parts they needed in order to get to the rocker cover.

I was happy with that price but 3 days later and I've got the exact same smell and smoke after a 30 minute drive. I'm praying it's old oil burning off but I have a feeling it's not that at all and it's something else.

I'd be suprised if it was the EGR pipe as my problem disappears entirely when the oil level gets to a certain level. (Fairly low down with a warning for 0.25L top up).

I'll keep yous all posted and in case anyone else has any other suggestions please let me know.
Chrisdmadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 12:57   #115
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisdmadd View Post
I've just paid a local garage £220 to replace my weeping rocker cover gasket.

Stretch bolts had to be ordered from Volvo to replace parts they needed in order to get to the rocker cover.

I was happy with that price but 3 days later and I've got the exact same smell and smoke after a 30 minute drive. I'm praying it's old oil burning off but I have a feeling it's not that at all and it's something else.

I'd be surprised if it was the EGR pipe as my problem disappears entirely when the oil level gets to a certain level. (Fairly low down with a warning for 0.25L top up).

I'll keep yous all posted and in case anyone else has any other suggestions please let me know.
That is interesting, the oil level gauge has to be calibrated at each oil change. and have you got the latest software updates? Are you putting in exactly 5 litres of the proper volvo specification VCC RBS0-2AE 0W-20 Engine oil in at an oil change?
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 15:20   #116
Chrisdmadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
That is interesting, the oil level gauge has to be calibrated at each oil change. and have you got the latest software updates? Are you putting in exactly 5 litres of the proper volvo specification VCC RBS0-2AE 0W-20 Engine oil in at an oil change?
I'm fairly sure it's been in for all the software updates but not for a while. I forgot to mention this is a 2016 v40 d2 but the problems are exactly the same as others have mentioned in here.

I wasn't aware of oil level calibration and I don't know if the garage are aware. The garage are acutely aware of how sensitive the gauge is particularly when overfilling. They did an oil change recently and I'm sure they will have put the correct amount in if not slightly less.

I presumed the oil smell disappearing may have just meant the leak was only an issue when the level was fairly high.
Chrisdmadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 07:39   #117
RDesign4Life
Master Member

More likely to be a failed EGR hose than anything else.

Oil leaks don't don't usually present these symptoms. Most oil leaks are small scale weeps from gaskets and a small amount of oil goes a long way on an engine block and may appear worse than it is. If you are not collecting pools of oil in the undertray or seeing patches on the ground then not likely any excessive oil leak.

For oil to burn and create smoke/fumes on the outside of an engine it would need to drip directly onto the exhaust manifold which is highly unlikely.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2023, 15:25   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
Could it be heat related? The rocker cover must be liable to some expansion as it heats up. This would allow oil, under pressure, to leak but only when hot. The oil wouldn't 'smoke' unless it's hot?
It could be heat related but not as described here. The rocker cover and head it is fastened to will expand but that would close a gap up not create one. However the oil thins considerably when hot and will make it’s way out of any weak gasket face or joint. A very common problem.

Can’t you see any oil leaks? If not it is likely crankcase fumes leaking out from a split hose or joint etc. Or faulty EGR system.
4251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 13:23   #119
julietabenegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by advandam View Post
Thanks to Advandam I managed to solve my smoke problem in the EGR tube, but also with a little Liqui Moly 3340 in the crack.
You have to disassemble the battery to access the 10 mm nuts, but first spray them with loosen everything.

Now the cabin in my V60 D4 is filled with fresh air.
julietabenegas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to julietabenegas For This Useful Post: