Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Group-buy bumpers???

Views : 2682

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2011, 17:56   #11
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Anyone interested in bumpers? I don’t mind doing the leg work if other folk would like some ordered. Anyone fitted these (same as Harrington) and what do you think of the quality?

Cheers,

Mitch
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 18:20   #12
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

The price from Vietnam is £500 including shipping (but exclusive of import tax) so that's £600, ouch. They said they would take off £12 ($20US) for each pair but then there is the issue of carriage in the UK.

I'll see what those lovely Swedes have got to say and if there is anywhere over there selling them cheaply (or am I dreaming)...

Anyone know what price Brookhouse and Amazon cars sell them for?

My bumpers have got dings so I would think it would be expensive to get them sorted and then re-chromed.

Last edited by Burdekin; May 2nd, 2011 at 18:29.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 23:28   #13
pez
VOC Member

i bought a full set from harrington late last year for my estate,they had a sale on at the time,i paid 450 quid,that was with delivery,havent fitted them yet as im waiting till the car is painted,but the quality of them is superb,they are like mirrors they are that shiney,and the stainless steel should outlast any chrome.
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pez For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:42   #14
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Thanks. Will wait for a sale or see if they will do a better price.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:08   #15
JIH

I bought a set for my 1800e and feel the quality is just fine. The price is about 1/2 or less of the steel ones which is nice but for me living next to the ocean I mainly went for them because of the rust resistance. An enthusiast could pick the very slight differences(maybe not quite as shiny as show chrome and slightly thinner metal) but I really couldn't see how you could go wrong with a set. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but the price seems to already be about 25-30% less than they were 2 years ago.
JIH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JIH For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2011, 14:10   #16
940_Turbo

I got a price from them to buy a number of sets about a year ago, and it was more than the occasional Ebay special they run......

I've got a set for the PV, as well as an Amazon set. They're not as good as the original bumpers. The polishing is a bit uneven and polished stainless will never be as shiny as good chrome. The trouble with the chrome however is that the plating coming out of Sweden on new bumpers is diabolically bad and it costs double or more than a set of stainless bumpers. Hence I went stainless.

This centre section is brand new Volvo chrome after about two years. The outer and overrider are original were replated properly at the same time.

940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2011, 22:22   #17
Quarterless
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
The price from Vietnam is £500 including shipping (but exclusive of import tax) so that's £600, ouch. They said they would take off £12 ($20US) for each pair but then there is the issue of carriage in the UK.

I'll see what those lovely Swedes have got to say and if there is anywhere over there selling them cheaply (or am I dreaming)...

Anyone know what price Brookhouse and Amazon cars sell them for?

My bumpers have got dings so I would think it would be expensive to get them sorted and then re-chromed.
Mitch I managed to get them lower than this when I was looking at sourcing them. Mainly by looking at bulk ordering and getting alternative shipping quotes from friends. I was trying to do this with Simon from Brookhouse but he pulled out last year. I spoke to him about it again this year and he did not want to go ahead anymore due to the recession, the dubious quality and that Harrington already do them.
Quarterless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quarterless For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2011, 15:23   #18
TomTom
Master Member

I bought front and rear Amazon bumpers last month. Went with Harrington in the end because the communication was better and the price included everything. I think the other company may have been cheaper in the end but they couldn't confirm the various import duty, VAT etc.

Note that Vietnam is a "preferred nation" on the import duty list and you can fill in a form to reduce the duty to zero. Don't ask me for specifics.

I'm very happy with the quality and fitting didn't pose any problems (Braydon).

However, a new chrome rear was only 275 when I asked, so certainly not double the price of the SS ones.

Tom
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TomTom For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2011, 18:36   #19
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom View Post
I bought front and rear Amazon bumpers last month. Went with Harrington in the end because the communication was better and the price included everything. I think the other company may have been cheaper in the end but they couldn't confirm the various import duty, VAT etc.

Note that Vietnam is a "preferred nation" on the import duty list and you can fill in a form to reduce the duty to zero. Don't ask me for specifics.

I'm very happy with the quality and fitting didn't pose any problems (Braydon).

However, a new chrome rear was only 275 when I asked, so certainly not double the price of the SS ones.

Tom
Where is that from? The last time I looked at the price of a rear bumper, 3 sections, 2 overriders for a saloon in original chrome it came to £675.00 excluding the fitting kit.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 19:02   #20
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I think you can get a chrome set in Sweden for about £950. But I didn't ask if in fact they were chrome or stainless.