Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bought a Breaker...

Views : 9954

Replies : 125

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 23:21   #21
Turbodave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KruJoe View Post
Me too, I'm a noob with about 10 posts.

Anyone know the going rate for doors theses days? I'll have a look on't 'bay.
I don't mind giving you 4 for the price of 3, with glass and mechs, then you can easily convert 'doors to manual'.
Thanks again.
Appreciated, we may have to revert back to good old email as I don't think I can PM you until you have 30 posts either! We'll get there one way or another!

As for cost, well that's up to you but I'd been all set to buy doors from another chap on the site until I discovered that R's are Garnett Red, not Classic Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt5r View Post
Items available for sale off N reg 850R in red (colour 609) prices + p&p:

4 doors in good condition - £60

Thanks
But as said, we can discuss the finer details in due course. I'm travelling down to Leeds on the 7th and will be passing within a few miles of you so it'd be brilliant if we could sort something out. Save trying to arrange a courier and so on.

Will be in touch

Cheers
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 16:10   #22
TurboZutek
Premier Member

I'd be interested in the steering cowl if the lower bolt-holes are not smashed off / brittle. I could also re-home the glove-box inner section (the furry plastic box) as long as it's not cracked and brittle and the bolt holes are all still there.

Chris...
TurboZutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 17:20   #23
KruJoe

Hi Dave, 'kinell! That's a great price if it is for all four doors!
I was thinking £30 a piece would be good value... Check out this joker:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-850-...item3cbb076b28 "Priced to clear". £220 LOL.
I'm sure we can work something out. I just checked my post count, I'm more than half way there already if the magic number is 30.

About the paint code, have you seen this page?
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/paint_colour_codes.shtml
The 601 colour will be right, the "21" refers to the kind of paint.

@Chris, I'll have a look at Red's cowling for you. I think mine in Th is ok, so this one is reserved for you if it's ok.
About the "furry box", is that the culprit in the slack glove box hinge syndrome? If so, I'll need to be keeping that part for myself.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 18:07   #24
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbych View Post
Why break it, looks like a tidy motor, you should have bought a car that needed scrapping for spares, this looks ok to me
I agree absolutely. I see no reason for this wanton bloody destruction of perfectly good motors!

I can't save all of them, but far too many owners have no conscience whatsoever, and just break them at the drop of a hat.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 19:59   #25
KruJoe

Smile

With all due respect, unless you are being ironic (hard to tell on a forum), may I politely refer you to the first post on page 2. You will see that much thought and effort has been given to the matter, and this car is not being broken at the drop of a hat. If anyone wishes to save it, it has a stay of execution until the end of the weekend. After which it will be carefully and respectfully dismantled to aid the preservation of others. It will not be driven to the frag plant for a quick buck.
Thanks - Joe
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 21:17   #26
440-Turbo
Master Member

People are always going to moan on about a car being broken. If they weren't moaning about that, it would be something else. They don't realise that cars being broken keep other cars on the road. It having "nothing wrong with it" isn't reason enough to keep it on the road. It's your car to do with as you please and nobody elses opinion should change yours. If they turn up with the cash, that can change your opinion.

the moaner on this occasion, bobbch, is the very same that just sold his car for £100 knowing it would get scrapped, for the sake of a few hundred quids worth of work. His car was rare and desireable though an 850 Turbo, as opposed to your middle of the run 2.5 non turbo automatic.

It's not a perfectly good motor, by the way. It's old, dated, uneconomical, slow and very uncool. Hence it only making £300 on eBay.

We can't all win, all the time.

It's hardly a desirable car, it won't be missed, get the angle grinder out and get stripping! Even if it was desirable, it's yours to do with as you wish.

(bobbych is on the lookout for a saloon just now so I am sure he will be along to save this one and pay your asking price of £700)
440-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 15:14   #27
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
@Chris, I'll have a look at Red's cowling for you. I think mine in Th is ok, so this one is reserved for you if it's ok.
Nice one matey, thanks!

Quote:
About the "furry box", is that the culprit in the slack glove box hinge syndrome? If so, I'll need to be keeping that part for myself.
Normally the slack hinge problem is the mount point that the hinge screws into on the dash itself.

Basically two self tapping screws bite into the dash vinyl at the bottom of the hinge and this breaks and wears away with time. I fixed mine by super-gluing the plastic back together and then running a load of NO MORE NAILS between the parts. I waited until the NMN was tack dry and then screwed the hinge back in so the screw threads bit into the NMN... Gave it 24hrs to dry and it's held together perfectly for over a year now!

Your only other option there is to replace the entire dash as the hinge mounts are moulded into the dash itself - and even if you did this they would only break again as this part hasn't been designed to take the strain properly IMHO.

The part I need is actually the 'box' itself:

On mine the plastic around the screws has gone brittle and fallen off, meaning this box just sits inside the aperture and rattles like mad.

And with the box removed:

This photo also handily shows the two screws on the hinge that I was talking about earlier. basically unbolt these, remove the glovebox door and take a look underneath - you'll see it's split apart and repair is as above.

Hope that helps!

Chris...
TurboZutek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurboZutek For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 15:22   #28
weble

Kudos for the way u collected it! I once used a "new" purchase to tow my own car home! Only because 6 miles from the guys house the head gasket went on my old car!

I know people get agro over cars being broken! But ya gotta think, where would all the parts come from to keep our old cars on the road if cars wern't broken? I've broken a couple of nice, and not so nice cars in the past! I only wanted one for the engine and gearbox, the car got lucky and the rest was brought by someone who put a different engine+box in and used it!

ANYWAY i'll quit my chitter chatter!

If no one buys the set of wheels and u're up for splitting, i could use ONE of those to match my other 4 as i want to get a full size spare. I understand if u want to keep them as a set that's cool
weble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 00:27   #29
KruJoe

Chris, the column cowl looks ok, but not 100% sure 'til I unscrew it...

Thanks for the info on the glove box... I'll take this one out and look, and remember for when I'm back in Chiang Mai for my wobbly hinges.
Those two pics of yours look different, and differ from mine - you pinched someone elses images? One looks like a V70(?) and both are LHD?
Again I'll only be sure on the condition of Red's box when I unscrew it, but have this to be going on with... should be no probs if yours is a RHD 850:

Weble, thanks for your input!
"Caveman" already expressed an interest in the wheels, and I'm sure I'll have no issues moving them on. I'll hang on to them for as long as poss, just to keep the car mobile as long as I can. Obvs when I have to remove suspension bits they can go.
If I were you, I'd buy a full set anyway, score a pair of winter fronts from this outfit...
http://www.tyresdirectuk.co.uk/xcart/home.php?cat=250
... for the nastiest weather, put one other in the boot, and you still have another spare rim if you bend one!

If you want a full size spare (not bothered if it's alloy) Red has this I can let go now:

(Rim looks rusty in the flash, it's really not.) The tyre is a half decent 205/55/15 which is more than good enough as a spare. Pressure seems good. £10 collected from BD23.

PS, I'm no A-frame hero - a noob at that game!
The podium players in that game are N_Bickle, Lanky_Tim and Mr_Bo11ox of Autosh*te Parish.
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 08:25   #30
KruJoe

...and a big thank you to '440T'. That made me feel more positive about breaking this.
Can I not edit my posts on this forum? I don't see a button.