Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Level Overfill - How long to clear?

Views : 9775

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2019, 23:39   #31
baconkev

Thanks for this, I'll give it a good warm up tomorrow and check it again, I will add a bit more if needed.

I only put around 5.4 liters in when I filled it back up just incase, it might still have had a little bit of the old oil in if it didn't drain out fully. Around 5.8 liters drained out when I did the oil change but before I did the full change I siphoned just over 1 liter out of the dipstick hole so it was way overfilled by the people who serviced it last. I was sort of going on the side of caution putting a bit less than recommended in.

I'm still on the xxx on the dipstick currently could it really be that temperamental to give this error with only 300ml difference.

Thanks again
baconkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 11:19   #32
100K+
Premier Member

Default Very interesting post - but begs a question...

I have followed this post with interest. In his first post Clan says

"what you need to do is drain the oil and filter put the filter back and pour in 5.7 litres of the finest 0w/30 , then with Vida, reset the oil level gauge"

My question is

If during a " service oil change" you have taken 5.7 oil out and return 5.7 litres new oil, do you still need to reset the oil level gauge?? Surely any difference in oil quantity (small though it may be) would show up as an +/- on the electronic dash oil level reading???

Or does emptying the sump somehow cause the electronics which measure the oil level to go into melt down, which then needs VIDA to reset them???

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 12:59   #33
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
My question is

If during a " service oil change" you have taken 5.7 oil out and return 5.7 litres new oil, do you still need to reset the oil level gauge?? Surely any difference in oil quantity (small though it may be) would show up as an +/- on the electronic dash oil level reading???

Or does emptying the sump somehow cause the electronics which measure the oil level to go into melt down, which then needs VIDA to reset them???

Cheers
Bob
It is my understanding (from both this and other forums) that the VIDA reset is desirable (rather then necessary) in order to 'force' the e-diptick to immediately give a 'maximum' indication, rather than allow the situation where the car has to be driven 30km before the system automatically updates. This delay would be confusing for owners where the e-dipstick was giving a 'minimum' indication prior to having an oil change and would otherwise continue to give that indication even after having an oil change where the correct (maximum) volume of oil had been loaded. The actual sensor element in the sump is very reliable and does not require calibration or adjustment during service.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 13:13   #34
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
I have followed this post with interest. In his first post Clan says

"what you need to do is drain the oil and filter put the filter back and pour in 5.7 litres of the finest 0w/30 , then with Vida, reset the oil level gauge"

My question is

Cheers
Bob

The thing is you don't know how much is in there before you drain it someone could have put too much or too little in . You always start with the correct volume after you do an oil drain , then reset the gauge which takes what ever you put in to be the correct volume ...also someone may have calibrated the gauge with the incorrect volume of oil .. ! Always start with basic principles , the correct volume of oil and a calibrated gauge .
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 20:10   #35
baconkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
The function in Vida says that maximum accuracy is achieved at 90°C so to me, you have a low oil level but confusingly, high and low warnings have the same ECM-5660 code.

In your position, I would be trying to achieve 70% at 90°C before expecting the warning to go away.
Did this this morning, all sorted now no light on the dash!

I warmed that car up and took the reading at 90 degrees. It was giving me 57% so I put another 100ml in and it brought it up to 63%. Another 100ml and it read 70% at 88 degrees.

Recalibrate the level, clicked on the delivery tab in the diagnostics and erased it. On and off a few times, checked the codes again and it didn't come back. Driven about 40 miles since and its not come back on!

Thanks so much for your help.
baconkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baconkev For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 00:36   #36
taxi driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I buy Dice from the same suppliers of the eBay ones.
I then test them, send back the duff ones and sell the others as guaranteed working.

I haven't found one supplier yet who sells 100% working Dice, apart from myself of course.

If you buy from eBay, you are the quality control and whilst the odds are good, there are plenty that don't work.
The eBay sellers have also never used Dice or installed Vida so technical support is limited and I'm being polite.
Do you still check and supply Dice?
taxi driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 13:24   #37
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi driver View Post
Do you still check and supply Dice?
Yes, so I've sent a pm. Just awaiting your reply.