Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Paddleshift retrofit

Views : 3326

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2019, 15:01   #1
Steff79

Default Paddleshift retrofit

Hi All,

Is it possible to retrofit a paddleshift steering wheel to my 2015 V70 and does anyone know what sort of costs we're talking about?

many thanks
Steffan
Steff79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 18:15   #2
mhon72
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steff79 View Post
Hi All,

Is it possible to retrofit a paddleshift steering wheel to my 2015 V70 and does anyone know what sort of costs we're talking about?

many thanks
Steffan
You can either replace the whole steering wheel with one complete with shifters fitted. A simple plug & play - hardest part is removing the airbag.
A brand new wheel from Volvo would be in the region of £500 as a fair guess.
Or you can try to locate one from a salvage yard. I paid about £160 for one from an R-Design XC60.
The only issue with salvage yards is you need to check the leather rims haven't been too damaged.

The alternative is to retrofit the paddleshifters to your existing wheel. Have a search over on the Swedespeed forums and you'll find some detailed instructions.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 20:03   #3
Steff79

oh ok. thanks
Old May 29th, 2019, 08:17   #4
Steff79

Hi, just double checking on this. It's definitely plug and play, I.e. no software update needed?

I rang FRF to get a price for a new wheel and they pretty much told me it couldn't be done as my car wasn't specced with it from new.

Thanks
Old May 29th, 2019, 09:20   #5
Sotosound
Premier Member

I have these on my 2014 V70 D4 auto and the only time I've used them is to show the occasional passenger that I have them.

Other than that they largely get left unused.

The issue for me is that once I've moved a paddle then I'm stuck in a single gear until I either select another gear to get stuck in or use the main gear changer to flick back into automatic mode. As someone who bought an automatic car to avoid the need for manual gear changes, that's a lot of faff.

(Of course, there might be another way to return to auto mode that I'm currently unaware of.)

Even the normal Geartronic feature hardly gets used.

The only function that I do use for my own benefit is the Sport Mode, and even that's a rare event. Sport Mode does, however, make the car far more responsive and also seems to give the perception that handling has also tightened up.

What would be handy, would be to know what gear the car is in, but that only happens when manually selecting gears. Grrrr!
Sotosound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 08:33   #6
I-S
Premier Member

For the master of P3 retrofits, look up user itwontstopsnowin on swedespeed. He's published a lot of great factory retrofits.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2019, 11:19   #7
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
(Of course, there might be another way to return to auto mode that I'm currently unaware of.
If you use the paddles in D mode, the manual down- or upshift is just temporary. After a while, the gear box returns to D mode by itself. Unless you are engine braking down a long slope. In such a case, it will remain in manual gear selection mode as long as the downhill persists.

You can also leave manual selection mode by pulling both paddles toward you at the same time, until D is shown in the display.

In sports mode, manual gear selection never terminates, once started, until you return to D mode.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2019, 12:18   #8
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
If you use the paddles in D mode, the manual down- or upshift is just temporary. After a while, the gear box returns to D mode by itself. Unless you are engine braking down a long slope. In such a case, it will remain in manual gear selection mode as long as the downhill persists.

You can also leave manual selection mode by pulling both paddles toward you at the same time, until D is shown in the display.

In sports mode, manual gear selection never terminates, once started, until you return to D mode.
Now that’s worth knowing. Many thanks.

I’ll have a play today.
Sotosound is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2019, 18:34   #9
mhon72
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steff79 View Post
Hi, just double checking on this. It's definitely plug and play, I.e. no software update needed?

I rang FRF to get a price for a new wheel and they pretty much told me it couldn't be done as my car wasn't specced with it from new.

Thanks
Nope, I can vouch that it doesn't need software as I retrofitted the paddleshifters myself and they work perfectly.
(A retrofitted heated steering wheel would need a software install as a new switch is required in the console.)

I was wary of the usefulness of them after reading other owner reviews but it depends how often you use the manual shifting function as it's handier than nudging the gearlever back and forth and as quick.
If I want to drop a gear to overtake it's still a toss up between pulling the gearlever into S mode to drop a gear or pulling the left paddle to drop a gear and then remembering to pull the right again to shift up afterwards.
In my opinion, a worthwhile upgrade for whenever I need to use it but most of the time I leave the gearbox to do its own thing. And yes, it adds a little bit of bling to the interior!

Last edited by mhon72; May 31st, 2019 at 18:41.
mhon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhon72 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 07:17   #10
Steff79

Hi all,

I finally tracked down a paddle wheel on eBay so am going to get my local garage to do this soon.

On swedespeed people talk about a different wiring harness but I think you are all saying it's literally just take old wheel off and put new one on, plugging in relevant wires....is that right?

Any one got the Volvo accessories instructions? Just to make sure it gets done the correct way.

Thanks
Steff
The Following User Says Thank You to Steff79 For This Useful Post: