Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 Black Smoke

Views : 3204

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2012, 21:50   #1
V70ETS
T5 or D5?

Default S60 D5 Black Smoke

Hi All,

I appreciate this is a common question as I have done alot of searching around the topic.

The car in question is a 2002 S60 D5 with 145k on the clock.

The Problem:

Well whenever accelerating or when the engine is under load the car is chuffing smoke out the rear exhaust, upon harsh acceleration it is clear that there is black smoke but when gently accelerating the smoke is much harder to determine whether it is black or not. The smoke on gentle acceleration whilst under load however is plooming and doesnt stop until you lift off the accelerator.

I have cleaned the Plenum and given the car a service and used some injector cleaner in the last tank but to no avail or improvement.

I have heard some mention cleaning the EGR valve solves this... where abouts is it?

I have also been reading that the intercooler is probably the most suspect compononent, the intercooler certainly appears to have small oil deposits towards the bottom and when plugged into a code reader the fault code P0244 was produced which I believe is to do with the turbo wastegate?

My main question is that does this sound like the intercooler? The car still drives fine and there appears to be no obvious loss of power.

All advice appreciated.

Regards
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 23:41   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

yes intercooler about £140 with sensor hole on the bay.
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 00:05   #3
V70ETS
T5 or D5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
yes intercooler about £140 with sensor hole on the bay.
mike
Is it definately the unit with the sensor hole thats required?

I'm assuming this has happened to yours before?
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 00:34   #4
Simon Jones
Premier Member

There are two types of intercooler: with and without sensor hole. You can check which you have by following the big pipe to where it joins the intercooler on the passenger side and looking for the sensor.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 00:42   #5
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

From your Avatar I assume you have an Ex Plod car .... I have two words for you

ITALIAN TUNE UP................................

My S80 was the same Until I took her in fer the MOT ... Mark (my MOT Guru) asked if I had ever "Driven it in Passion" ... I said "Eerrrr Maybe" .. He then took her out & Absolutely Thrashed the ARSE off her .....

She Waltzed thru her emissions test & has NEVER produced Black Smoke since It is the Constant "Dawdle Driving" that causes the Black Smoke & yours being Ex Plod ......... Well, I aint NEVER seen a Plod Car being "Dawdle Driven".... Have you ?????

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 07:17   #6
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70ETS View Post
Is it definately the unit with the sensor hole thats required?

I'm assuming this has happened to yours before?
you will have to check to see if yours has the sensor or not on mine it has. yes i had to replace mine 18 months ago due to your symptoms and if you have the oily deposits at the bottom then that is a good indication..
mike
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 09:29   #7
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70ETS View Post
Hi All,

I appreciate this is a common question as I have done alot of searching around the topic.

The car in question is a 2002 S60 D5 with 145k on the clock.

The Problem:

Well whenever accelerating or when the engine is under load the car is chuffing smoke out the rear exhaust, upon harsh acceleration it is clear that there is black smoke but when gently accelerating the smoke is much harder to determine whether it is black or not. The smoke on gentle acceleration whilst under load however is plooming and doesnt stop until you lift off the accelerator.

I have cleaned the Plenum and given the car a service and used some injector cleaner in the last tank but to no avail or improvement.

I have heard some mention cleaning the EGR valve solves this... where abouts is it?

I have also been reading that the intercooler is probably the most suspect compononent, the intercooler certainly appears to have small oil deposits towards the bottom and when plugged into a code reader the fault code P0244 was produced which I believe is to do with the turbo wastegate?

My main question is that does this sound like the intercooler? The car still drives fine and there appears to be no obvious loss of power.

All advice appreciated.

Regards
I assume it was a generic code reader as the D5 VNT unit doesn't have a wastegate (generic code translation for P0244 'Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Range/ Performance'). You really need to get a the proper codes read to be able to start tracking this down.

For example http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/9158-d5...le-code-p0244/ - ended up as a leaking engine mount.

Mike (outnumbered) pulled together a good guide on chasing boost leaks here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=132443

If you can through the bottom of the lower front grille and see the interfooler peeking out from behind the air-con rad plus you have traces of oily gunk along the lower edge, more than likely at that mileage with that year the i/c has popped. This was mine http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/13471-a...nt-end-part-1/

Another one to check is the large hose that feeds the turbo. After time this can split near the big clips that hold it in place.

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 22:23   #8
V70ETS
T5 or D5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
From your Avatar I assume you have an Ex Plod car .... I have two words for you

ITALIAN TUNE UP................................

My S80 was the same Until I took her in fer the MOT ... Mark (my MOT Guru) asked if I had ever "Driven it in Passion" ... I said "Eerrrr Maybe" .. He then took her out & Absolutely Thrashed the ARSE off her .....

She Waltzed thru her emissions test & has NEVER produced Black Smoke since It is the Constant "Dawdle Driving" that causes the Black Smoke & yours being Ex Plod ......... Well, I aint NEVER seen a Plod Car being "Dawdle Driven".... Have you ?????

Keith
Ironically no its not ex plod and the avatar is an Ambulance RRV I am fortunate enough to drive on a daily basis for work

Italian tune up... well I have tried that!

Thanks for all the advice guys, purchased and fitted a new IC today, low and behold it had warped! Problem solved.