Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alko towball on a V70

Views : 2414

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 07:47   #11
Dazzlev70r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDay View Post
@Dazzlev70r don't forget to wipe the grease off before towing or the stabiliser wont work & it will need new pads fitted if they get contaminated with grease
I wont mate
first time i used the Alko i fitted the towball myself but had the dealer fit the alko and simply didnt read the instructions
We drove to Dorset and I remember thinking this Alko thing is all in mind, i didnt notice any diffrence until we unhitched and a camper came over and pointed it out

A good scrubs of the ball and brake pads and the return journey was like towing a diffrent van, If anything I worry as it does such a good job I do sometimes push my luck that little bit more than I normaly would ( well within the limits of the product) but further than id go with no stabilizer

Im a 60 - 70 MPH merchant with it to be fair and it definately reduces any swaying, I wouldnt venture any faster but for the cost of them i suprised there not fitted universal now ( Ive noticed new vans all seem to have them on apart from the cheap yugoslavian ones)
If someone is new to towing this would be what id have on there shopping start out list
Dazzlev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 20:16   #12
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

(quote :- Dazzlev 70r wrote
Im a 60 - 70 MPH merchant with it to be fair and it definately reduces any swaying, I wouldnt venture any faster but for the cost of them i suprised there not fitted universal now ( Ive noticed new vans all seem to have them on apart from the cheap yugoslavian ones)
If someone is new to towing this would be what id have on there shopping start out list :- end quote)

Blimey be carefull you don't get caught 60 is the legal limit, but I know what you mean it is so easy to get carried away been there done that & got the "T" shirt, I tow a ABI Marauder 13"-14" 4 berth 1988 vintage & I use to use a Scott stabiliser but changed a couple of years back & would recomend the Alko hitch to anyone it's a brilliant bit of kit

1999 V70 2.5 T SE Auto "ME7" Caravan = 2003 Swift Charisma 550 4 Berth
JimDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 15:57   #13
Dazzlev70r

I used to tow religously at 50 - 55 without the Alko, even when i had my Range rover with a small caravan just never felt happy in event of emergency i could pull it up that well

Im not saying or endorsing the speed but ive found trying to play with HGVs at there ( supposed speed) I think is dangerous and that little extra just makes me pass with that little something

Now all i gotta do is look out for coaches, the Alkos good but the sudden drag still catches it and I know its probably silly but im convinced the coaches whip me on purpose, they could edge that little over to the opposite side that i do and not create that tornado that sucks me in

Im taking the car n van down to Spain for kids summer holiday and i just got this feeling the car and those roads are going to be a pleasure to drive
Dazzlev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 17:06   #14
oldgit63
VOC Member

Default Swan neck ok

I work at a caravan outlet in Worcestershire, and have fitted quite a lot of these tow balls. The actual ball hitch size is the same, but the neck is biger it is longer (IE ) It sticks out further from the rear of the towbar it self to clear the pivoting Alko hitch so if you have a swan neck tow bar like mine it will be fine. Remembering not to use any grease on the ball .It will contaminate the hitch. oldgit63
oldgit63 is offline   Reply With Quote