Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 T6 Towbar - to cool or not to cool?

Views : 2553

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2009, 16:38   #1
cstreharne

Question XC90 T6 Towbar - to cool or not to cool?

Hello all,

I have a MY05 XC90 T6 which I'm considering adding a towbar to. I've spoken with 2 separate dealers to get a quote for fitting a detachable towbar. The first dealer suggested in addition to the towbar I'd need to fit an additional oil cooler - the 2nd dealer stated this wasn't required - I'm confused.

I've done a bit of searching through the forums and there seems to be a difference of opinions - does anyone have a categorical answer of whether or not an additional cooler (I think for the Geartronic gearbox) is required?

There are a couple of threads here which suggest cars later than MY00 have one fitted as standard, others which say you need to fit one, and the foloowing link which even shows the part number http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories...VCC-245801.htm (albeit not for the 2.9 T6).

Any info appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Last edited by cstreharne; May 11th, 2009 at 18:16.
cstreharne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 18:32   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

The T6 has a gearbox cooler in the radiator as standard , it ALSO has an external air to oil radiator along the front of the main radiators , its about 4 inches high and runs the full width of the radiator ...
this is what you see in the link above . your car isnt listed as it has this as standard ..
Old May 11th, 2009, 18:44   #3
cstreharne

Okay Clan thanks for the quick and concise response, much appreciated.

Volvo were quoting £250 + vat for the oil cooler, I wonder where they'd have fitted it!!!

Any idea what the £40 + vat software charge is they've also quoted for as part of a towbar fitting?
Old May 11th, 2009, 18:51   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Yes the software will turn your Car fog lights off when the caravan is plugged in to prevent glare on the front of the caravan . It's not essential if you only tow a low trailer ...
Old May 11th, 2009, 18:56   #5
cstreharne

Great stuff, thanks for your help.
Old May 11th, 2009, 20:34   #6
pdr944

hi,

i tow a large caravan with a t6 and have no problems with temp at all.in fact the temp never alters from its norm towing or not.dont forget the t6 was built to tow and will pull anything.try to get your tow bar fitted by a good independant dont go to volvo they will charge you a fortune.

mind ow ya go,

peter.
pdr944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:02   #7
cstreharne

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response.

Is your T6 a Geartronic (as mine) ? Any gotchas you've come across ? I'm interested that you suggest going to an independent fitter, as I'd always assumed (incorrectly as you point out) this was something that should be done by Volvo rather than an independent.

Did you have the towbar fitted yourself ? If so what type did you go for - there seem to be a few available with the Westfalia one being my current preferred aftermarket one, as it is invisible once the ball is removed when not towing (according to a thread I read)?

Does anyone have any general advice on pros/cons of particular tow bars and/or any recommended fitters in Shropshire/West Mids?

Again, any information or guidance much appreciated. Thanks very much.
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:12   #8
pdr944

Default towbars

hi mate,

yes i have the geartronic.i,ve never needed to use the geartronic side and always tow in D auto.you will find the t6 a superb towcar its comfortable and very powerful.i tow a large twin axel van.i,ve towed with almost every model of volvo,manual and auto over the last 30years and all have been brilliant.as regards a towbar the detachable is by far the most pleasing on the eye if a little more expencive.when i bought my t6 from stratstone,s of stoke-on-trent i priced haveing a towbar fitted and they quoted £800 which of course is ridiculous.anyway i had a word with the salesman and he put me onto the guy that actually fitted towbars for stratstone.he is an independant mobile towbar fitter.i rang him up and he bought the towbar and came to my house and fitted it in about 2 hours at a cost of about £240 all in and it has been faultless ever since.WHISTON TOWBARS fitted it and are from the crewe/alsager area.contact PAUL WHISTON on tel 01270 884565 or 07709098656 mob.he provide an excellent service.

regards peter.
pdr944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 16:40   #9
cstreharne

Thanks Peter for all the valuable information.

I've just had a quote from a local independent for a Witter Detachable, electrics and fitting for £325 + vat - a tad cheaper than the small fortune Volvo were quoting!!!

Thanks again.

Tags
oil cooler, towbar, xc90