Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Meltdown?

Views : 1323

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2009, 14:57   #1
gary1638

Default Meltdown?

Checking over the car the other day I saw that the cable of pin 9 just behind the 13 pin socket had started to melt, probably due to overloading. I am sure there was a little kink in the cable and it is here that the insulation has melted and a green deposit was over the cable. Pin 9 is the permanent live and carries power to the fridge and so obviously carries a lot of power, yet it is no thicker than any of the others. Has anyone else noticed this?

Gary
gary1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:14   #2
iand1967

yes this sounds like mid pin burnout the action of fiting and removing the grey plug causes the mid pin in the plug to close up it then becomes a loose fit in the car socket and so gets hot and melts in use due to curent draw from fridge ,the remady is to clean plugs and open up the center pin in the grey plug it will be closed up .
iand1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iand1967 For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2009, 13:08   #3
pdr944

its not a bad idea to change these plugs each year as they cost pennies but can cause an awful lot of trouble.its a good idea to carry a spare one of each in your caravan.

peter.
pdr944 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pdr944 For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2009, 23:47   #4
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary1638 View Post
Checking over the car the other day I saw that the cable of pin 9 just behind the 13 pin socket had started to melt, probably due to overloading. I am sure there was a little kink in the cable and it is here that the insulation has melted and a green deposit was over the cable. Pin 9 is the permanent live and carries power to the fridge and so obviously carries a lot of power, yet it is no thicker than any of the others. Has anyone else noticed this?

Gary
If pin 9 is permanent live then it wont be power for the fridge as the fridge should not have a permanent live feed as it will kill the car battery if left without the engine running. The fridge should only be fed with power when the engine is running same as the charging circuit for the caravan battery.

1999 V70 2.5 T SE Auto "ME7" Caravan = 2003 Swift Charisma 550 4 Berth
JimDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 13:27   #5
TBird1

Hi folks, don't mean to hijack this thread - just wanted to ask if anyone maybe know whats going on with my situation.

I've posted in the v70 section and didn't want to double post so here's a link :-)

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=71782

Cheers,

TBird1
TBird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:31   #6
SKH
SKH

You say Pin 9 on the 13 pin socket which suggests your car has the latest wiring system and does not use two 7 pin (black & grey) sockets.

On the 13 Pin socket, pin 9 should be a +ve from the car but it can easily be overloaded depending on where the connection is in the car. An old favorite used to be the interior light circuit which is not good if you then run all your caravan electrics from it!

Just a thought, does your caravan have the latest Alko chassis with thier 'anti-snaking' system fitted. This requires a supply from the car (I think on Pin 9) but is rated at 15A & requires a 20A fuse according to the literature. If the supply from the car, or the cable itself, is not up to the job, it is bound to overheat.
SKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 20:25   #7
gary1638

Default Pin 9

Thanks for your help so far. No, my van does not have the anti snaking device, but my understanding was this pin supplied the fridge through a relay in the caravan wiring (2005 Bailey Pageant) which sensed when the engine was running and completed the circuit to the fridge.

Gary
Old May 12th, 2009, 23:32   #8
Frank

Question

Hi Gary - I have just been rewiring mine and this is my understanding.
(I assume you do have the 13 pin socket on the car and 13 pin plug on the caravan).

Pin 9 on the 13 pin socket provides a permanent live to the van. This will allow you to power the van interior lights and water pump via the car battery in an emergency if the van battery is low etc. It should not provide power for the fridge. Beware of draining your car battery if you do use this supply at anytime (Usually controlled by a switch for Van or Car on your vans power controller when car is coupled and engine off)
Pin 10 provides the ignition controlled power supply for the fridge and for the battery.
The relay you mention in the caravan normally operates when coupled to the car with the engine running. This relay should cut off the power via Pin 9 to all circuits in the van to reduce any demand from car to van lighting etc.
The power for the fridge and battery from the car is controlled by a relay in the car which senses when the alternator is running and then provides the power to the fridge and battery circuits via Pin 10.
There are 3 earths from the 13 pin socket and it is worth checking these are all well earthed on the car and well connected at the socket and plug. Pin 3 earths the vans road lights. Pin 13 is the return earth for Pin 9 and Pin 11 is the return earth for Pin 10. The return earths should not be connected electrically in the caravan.
Frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 20:43   #9
gary1638

Thanks Frank.

I'll have to have a good look at what does what over the weekend, but will probably end up fitting a new socket to the exsisting wiring, assuming there is enough slack in it. Should be fun as all the cables are the same colour, but at least they are numbered!

Gary