Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto Gearbox query.

Views : 3217

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2011, 16:31   #1
leswindeler

Default Auto Gearbox query.

I have noticed when setting off from a stand that the engine revs pick up as normal but the Auto gearbox bumps before the car moves off. A bit like the trans fluid pressure has to build up a little. Other than that the gears seem fine apart from a couple of times when the revs have risen more than normal when changing from first to second with a cold engine during the winter.
Has anyone any info' on this problem please.
Regards. Les.
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 17:47   #2
altajeli

check level ASAP! check when gearbox and operating temp, whilst car engine running move selector between PRD43L and back again to prime all the gears then check level. If its a d5 the dip stick is on the front of the gearbox, on the right buried at the bottom, it has a yellow top!

fluid may need changing too.
altajeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 18:47   #3
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leswindeler View Post
I have noticed when setting off from a stand that the engine revs pick up as normal but the Auto gearbox bumps before the car moves off. A bit like the trans fluid pressure has to build up a little. Other than that the gears seem fine apart from a couple of times when the revs have risen more than normal when changing from first to second with a cold engine during the winter.
Has anyone any info' on this problem please.
Regards. Les.
I second the opinion that you should check the fluid level and almost certainly change the ATF. Search on this site about the procedure for this. Determine what transmission you have from the aluminium tag on the top of the transmission housing, obstructions do make it hard to read. Probably it is an Aisin AW 55-50/51SN. If so, it takes an ATF meeting the JWS 3309 specification. Do not just go to any shop and have them change your ATF.

Your 2001 V70 2.4T may be in the time when the auto transmission automatically shifted into N (neutral) when the vehicle was stopped in Drive. The purpose was to save fuel at idle and to reduce heating of the ATF. This proved to be undesirable and there are software upgrades which disable this feature.

Last edited by Jim314; Mar 17th, 2011 at 18:53.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 18:51   #4
mikealder
VOC Member

Another way to check whether this is software related is to use the handbrake while at traffic lights rather than the footbrake, it shouldn't drop in to N with the footbrake off while stationary using the handbrake and therefore set off without the delay and associated bang.

You could get the software changed so it doesn't go in to N on th efootbrake or simply use the handbrake (much cheaper and just as effective) - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 19:00   #5
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Another way to check whether this is software related is to use the handbrake while at traffic lights rather than the footbrake, it shouldn't drop in to N with the footbrake off while stationary using the handbrake and therefore set off without the delay and associated bang.

You could get the software changed so it doesn't go in to N on th efootbrake or simply use the handbrake (much cheaper and just as effective) - Mike
I am pretty much of a penny pincher, and willing to go to some considerable trouble to save money, but using the parking brake at each stoplight would be way beyond what I would consider. I would think that would prematurely wear out the parking brake mechanism.

I don't detect that my 2004 V70 petrol 170 with AW55-51SN 5-spd transmission goes into N at stops. When I take my foot off the brake and press the accelerator pedal it smoothly takes off. I have had the ATF changed once at the Volvo dealer (~US$350).
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 19:14   #6
mikealder
VOC Member

Jim, your V70 probably has the software modification to stop it dropping in to N, without the software mod the use of the handbrake is a work around, bearing in mind the vehicle isn't moving when you apply the handbrake there is very little to wear - Mike

Last edited by mikealder; Mar 17th, 2011 at 19:15. Reason: Typo
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 21:52   #7
leswindeler

Funny that the issue of going into neutral has been mentioned as sometimes when I am stopped at lights I get the sensation of putting the car into drive from neutral without actually touching the gear lever. It's as though the gearbox is doing it itself.
I will have a good look at the fluid level when I go back to France tomorrow.
As for reprogramming the box, my French isn't that good and I know without asking the local Volvo mech' that all I will get is the usual Galic shrug!
C'est la vie de mon ami.
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 19:15   #8
roundyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim314 View Post
I second the opinion that you should check the fluid level and almost certainly change the ATF. Search on this site about the procedure for this. Determine what transmission you have from the aluminium tag on the top of the transmission housing, obstructions do make it hard to read. Probably it is an Aisin AW 55-50/51SN. If so, it takes an ATF meeting the JWS 3309 specification. Do not just go to any shop and have them change your ATF.

Your 2001 V70 2.4T may be in the time when the auto transmission automatically shifted into N (neutral) when the vehicle was stopped in Drive. The purpose was to save fuel at idle and to reduce heating of the ATF. This proved to be undesirable and there are software upgrades which disable this feature.
I think I've felt this on my 2003 V70 D5 - should one of this year have that feature?

Also, i think sometimes the hill hold (i think the V70 autos have it) can make this sensation - (unless this is actually the N shift...)
roundyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 08:46   #9
roundyuk

Should the gear indicator change to N or should you just feel it??
roundyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 08:55   #10
leswindeler

Can't say as I've noticed the indicator change but I certainly get the sensation of having selected drive from neutral. Weird.
I will be checking the fluid level today so will let you know what happens.