Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 AC Pulley bearing change

Views : 3259

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 06:08   #1
MWMan

Default V70 AC Pulley bearing change

I have just completed a AC compressor insitu bearing change; Alternator freewheel pulley change; including a new regulator / brush pack, and new belt tensioner and belt.

I ran the car yesterday evening and the change is amazing. No more whine when revving and the difference in noise when the AC clutch pulls in compared to before is a very stark contrast. Here is a video clip of the difference. https://youtu.be/-yvlx-B-RNU (the first half is original and the second half is now)

I have tried to document as much of this as I can, in case it may help anyone else doing this for the first time. Mine is on the 2.4 non turbo petrol engine. (B5244S)

I could not have attempted this without this forum and in particular D5Meister for the hire of his pullers, and detailed advice; Cheshired5's fantastic videos; and Brendan W for his insight on this forum. I have no problems standing on the shoulders of others - I would not have managed to even attempt this without that support.

Next week I'm replacing the wishbones and bottom ball joints - while I am on a roll.
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MWMan For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 10:48   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWMan View Post
I have no problems standing on the shoulders of others - I would not have managed to even attempt this without that support.
Having read your PDF guide, I'm sure plenty will be standing on your shoulders in return.

It's an excellent write up and well done.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 11:05   #3
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Having read your PDF guide, I'm sure plenty will be standing on your shoulders in return.

It's an excellent write up and well done.

I echo everything cheshired5 has written and thank you for a very clear, well presented "How to". I'm really looking forward to your follow up on wishbones. Thanks again.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 12:31   #4
Brendan W
Premier Member

Well done MWMan for taking the trouble to document it. Next batch of repairers won't have to rely on us armchair pontificators being in a good mood
Joking aside the Forum is a wonderful community and if I had a penny for every time it helped me.........................
I'm too lazy to open the p/s lines. I just tie the pump out of the way.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 12:52   #5
oragex
Premier Member

I have the same engine, and the noise is half yours, going to fix the a/c bearing soon. Thanks for the pdf. I'd mention, the two lower a/c compressor bolts might be hard to loosen because they have long rusted shanks stuck inside the a/c compressor bracket.
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 13:16   #6
MWMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
I echo everything cheshired5 has written and thank you for a very clear, well presented "How to". I'm really looking forward to your follow up on wishbones. Thanks again.
For the wishbones, I will be following one of the Cheshired5 videos, where the hub stays connected. I will however get myself a large ratchet strap to pull the wishbone into place

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
I have the same engine, and the noise is half yours, going to fix the a/c bearing soon. Thanks for the pdf. I'd mention, the two lower a/c compressor bolts might be hard to loosen because they have long rusted shanks stuck inside the a/c compressor bracket.
All four of the bolts on the compressor came out OK. I don't know if they had been off before, but they were not too bad. However, every bolt went back with Copper Slip on the threads!!
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 14:47   #7
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Praise and gratitude for MWMan's excellent writeup from across the sea.

In my situation:
The red powdered A/C clutch material, which is strewn about the engine bay, and the 194,000 miles on my odo, lead me to conclude the clutch is well worn.
There's no bearing noise.

I love the idea of repairing anything and this guide would sure help but I think it'd be smarter and faster for me to evacuate the system, remove the entire compressor and install a quality rebuilt unit.

With my luck I got the "one-in-a-million" perfect compressor body and am condemning it to a vile pile of oxidized "to be rebuilded" compressors.

Oh well. You must factor it all in and select a course of action.
Thanks again for a better than great writeup.

Good luck with the control arm job. Going to take pictures there too? Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 16:56   #8
john493
Spannering since birth

Excellent write-up & pics MWMan ! Many thanks for going to that effort.
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 12:13   #9
Roy V70 850
Much too Senior

Default Sounds like I have the same problem

Great write up and it looks like I may be standing on your shoulders as well as everyone else's.

The pulleys started squeeling on my 2004 Volvo V70 D5 about a week ago. Although I initially thought it was the steering pump, I quickly migrated down to the Air Cond Compressor as the culprit, especially as the noise got worse when the Air Cond kicked in and the belt flapping got worse. However it may still be the Alternator clutch.

I have yet to even start on it because I'm waiting for the Torx 60 to come. (My set only goes up to 50).

A thumbs up to the advice on this forum especially from cheshired5 for the videos that make it so much easier to change brake discs, engine mounts etc. Although being brought up in the 70's, when home repairs was almost mandatory I haven't tackled anything in recent years until I bought the V70.
Roy V70 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roy V70 850 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 21:17   #10
john493
Spannering since birth

If the belt is squealing / flapping, I'd be checking/ changing the alternator pulley first.
INA part on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Overrunni...72.m2749.l2649
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john493 For This Useful Post: