Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing with cruise control

Views : 3384

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 19:57   #1
Madleee
'95 850 T5 GLE 7 Seater

Default Towing with cruise control

Has anyone else had experience of towing using cruise?
I found dragging the snail was a breeze when my right foot was idle.
I memorable experience is driving on a M way with cruise set at 55 and having wagons crawl past me at 56. I decided to slow to 50 while they passed and then resumed 55.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 20:37   #2
JackT5

Used it all the time with my old 240, my T5 didn't have it, have only been away with the 80 and van once unfortunately but had the cruise on when i did, mine was set at 60 though.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 18:55   #3
Madleee
'95 850 T5 GLE 7 Seater

Default cruise a van

I tried cruise at 60 but the fuel con went daft. Like single figures. at 55 I could get the auto to lock up and was getting around 20mpg
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 09:47   #4
XC90caravanpuller
VOC Member

Default Towing on cruise control

HI, I've just changed to an XC90 having towed(870kg + 100Kgs of bikes and windsurf boards, masts booms and sails), for 6 or 7 years on a '97 V70 TDI CD Manual.The V70 was perfectly set up for towing on cruise as the turbo kicked in at 1750rpm, which exactly matched the continental 90kph towing speed limit. Right foot rested, but brain on boredom and the point about camiones hunting you down over 20-30 miles is well made. Keeping to the speed limit is an interesting experience, as you travel alone. Fuel consumption while towing on the (Audi) 2.5 turbo diesel was about 30-32 depending on mountain ranges, 5th gear went south in 2006 at 187,000 miles and towed back in 4th for 600 miles ( autoroutes in France) and still returned 25 MPG average. £2000 for 2nd hand box ! Was it worth it you ask?
Newer XC90 (163BHP) experience of towing limited to pick up of newer caravan in Devon and home to Sussex when we were still reading the handbook to find out how all the toys work, and then taking the van 40 miles for a service and back, and didn't use the cruise as no opportunity on roads in East Sussex. Have used cruise while not towing and newer version has auto -resume after braking , accelerating and /or maneouvering. Takes a bit of getting used to, but a very thoughtful innovation.
MPG towing with XC90 seems to be about 28, but still have to get used to lack of turbo, so may be able to improve on this.
XC90caravanpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 15:59   #5
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Got 21.1 out of my xc90 185 bhp geartronic. Only had 4000 miles on it though. 23.4 on the return journey. i tow a Swift twin axle with MTPLM 1607. Used cruise most of the way going south and my right foot coming home.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 00:44   #6
Tibbsey23
NineForty Nuts!

To my way of thinking if the trailer is stable when held by the foot, it is not significantly more unsafe if held by electronics. I know when loaded correctly my van will tow at 70 odd if I take my eye off the ball, so set the cruise for 60 after a few miles verifying it is towing right, and never have to worry about creeping up to unsafe speeds

As far as lorries go, its worth remembering that your speedo will almost certainly be slightly off, mine is by about 5mph as verified by my road angel, so it may look like 55, but you might be doing 50!

In the last 3 weeks I have clocked up about 600 miles towing (mostly) on cruise control

Distant Past: 1988 745 GL B200E
Past: 1993 945 S B200F
Present: 1996 945 CD B230FT
South West Volvo Group
Tibbsey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:08   #7
tykey

I never use cruise control wether towing or not. It seemed a good idea when I got it, but didn't like the way it started eating extra fuel. I chose my V70 D5 because of it's great fuel efficiency, so that's where my priorities lie.

I've not checked it, but I'm pretty sure it'll have an even worse effect when towing.
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 18:37   #8
Lzygo
xc90

I have a 2009 xc90 geartronic and asked my dealer about towing and cruise control. I was told that the best mpg for towing was by switching to manual and using 5th gear without cruise switched on. I haven't had much chance to tow yet but certainly when I have used cruise under normal driving conditions mpg is quie a bit lower than using my right foot.
Lzygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 19:35   #9
4wheeldriver
Master Member

We have the same thing in lorries. the fuel is ALWAYS worse using cruise than if you use your right foot but some folk swear by it.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 19:49   #10
tykey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
We have the same thing in lorries. the fuel is ALWAYS worse using cruise than if you use your right foot but some folk swear by it.
Perhaps they aren't paying for the fuel (company cars or trucks), or they haven't learnt how to drive economically.

It amazes me how far I can drive in my V70 without coming out of an mpg range of 75 to 100+.

I'm trying towing my caravan to Northumberland tomorrow, so that will be interesting. (Just heard it's snowing up there!!!!)
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote