Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing with cruise control

Views : 3389

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 20:08   #11
Chris Parish
Large Member

Question

I'm intrigued about the theory of worse fuel consumption using cruise control. I've never heard that before. Why should that be?

Currently: S60 T S 2001 and S80 D5 2002
Previously: 245 and V70 T5
Chris Parish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 21:22   #12
Lzygo
xc90

I would think (and I'm neither an mpg expert or geek) that cruise control is constantly drawing fuel to maintain the set speed and accelerating harder and more often then using the right foot with less time decelerating before picking up again. If you have onboard mpg comp and watch it between the two types of driving - when the cruise is on and accelerating the mpg shown drops far lower then when I acceleerate with my foot. I would agree that on a straight flat long road then things may be more equal but definatly get much better mpg using my foot.
Lzygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:43   #13
tykey

Yes,but it's not only a theory.

The cruise control hasn't got the objective of reducing fuel consumption. So when it sees the speed dropping, it has to pump more fuel in, even when it's not appropriate from an economy point of view.

As Lzygo suggests, watch the onboard computer, if you back off the throttle a touch you will see a dramatic drop in fuel usage for only a couple of miles per hour, and you can soon recover this speed on the next downhill bit (again with a closed throttle)

It's particularly evident when you back off the throttle when going up inclines.

Do you remember Jeremy Clarkson driving from London to Edinburgh and back again on only one tank of fuel. He used this type of technique without cruise control.
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 10:50   #14
dodgyken
Master Member

I use cruise control pretty much all the time - across Europe where it is easy to maintain a steady pace I dial in around 140kmh-150kmh and just let the KMs fly be - it is easy - it is relaxing and for the 1mpg it costs I don't get too emotional.

As for towing - I sit on the naughty side of the fence. The Volvo will tow the 1800KG trailer with ease - and sits happily at cruise control speed that won't be mentioned - and will pull happily up hill at speeds that will make most of you wince. I wow in DRIVE with the cruise on - and the car is happy - around 27MPG for a 270mile tow trip at the weekend - mixed driving.

The entire rig is rock solid - not a wiggle in sight - which doesn't condone my behaviour.

Back to cruise - the only problem with it is that other people can't hold a constant speed - which means it is a pain to overtake!!
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:20   #15
Dazzlev70r

Id like to know of a road in UK you can use the cruise ( at any speed) for more than 30 minutes lol

I use my cruise now simply to stop mind wandering and getting speeding tickets, its ideal for that as it goes

I can beat the cruise control though for economy both towing and solo as it goes
Clarkson run in that A6 was absolutley class, he did moan it was a lot harder to drive economicaly than at a fast pace
In that test he saved himself a good £50 of fuel, but took hours longer than he normaly would and had a mega stressfull drive
If i was going Scotland id pay the extra £25 each way and be comfortable
Dazzlev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:51   #16
dodgyken
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzlev70r View Post
Id like to know of a road in UK you can use the cruise ( at any speed) for more than 30 minutes lol
It is a ballache in the UK - but still possible. Managed it for most of my M25/M1 run on Saturday.

Quote:
I use my cruise now simply to stop mind wandering and getting speeding tickets, its ideal for that as it goes
Agree

Quote:
I can beat the cruise control though for economy both towing and solo as it goes
Clarkson run in that A6 was absolutley class, he did moan it was a lot harder to drive economicaly than at a fast pace
In that test he saved himself a good £50 of fuel, but took hours longer than he normaly would and had a mega stressfull drive
If i was going Scotland id pay the extra £25 each way and be comfortable
Absolutely. Yes manual driving is more economical - but quite frankly if you want budget driving - you buy a £300 car drive it until it's dead and replace. If you want to drive economically - you can do - and for SHORT distances I can manage it. But for 100 miles +, I hit the throttle - and I don't stress over 1 or 2mpg.

Scotland return with no air-con or cd-player - at 55mph??? Sod that for a game of toy soldiers!!
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 21:13   #17
Chris Parish
Large Member

I find cruise control good for 50mph speed limits on motorways where left to my own devices I start off with the best of intentions but just keep getting faster - and for when my right knee starts hurting.

I've used it in the USA where you can set cruise control and then go and make a cup of tea....

Currently: S60 T S 2001 and S80 D5 2002
Previously: 245 and V70 T5
Chris Parish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 23:28   #18
Dazzlev70r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Parish View Post

I've used it in the USA where you can set cruise control and then go and make a cup of tea....
Then sue there arse for not stating you still have to steer and controll the vehilce

No i do like old Clarkson as it goes, No demist of windows just think what diffrence this will make to economy whilst towing

The worrying thing for me with cruise and towing is the control of the vehicle, my foot can react if need faster ( lifting off / on pedal)
I found on my range rover that on an incline it would kick down to maintain speed and couldnt read the road and the fact i might be feet from peak of hill and about to go down

Im a lover of cruise when solo though, nothing like playing with steering wheel on a boring motorway
Dazzlev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 19:52   #19
tykey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyken View Post

Scotland return with no air-con or cd-player - at 55mph??? Sod that for a game of toy soldiers!!
Neither would I, but you can drive MORE economically at any speed.

I've just towed my caravan from Sheffield to Northumberland and found that it's FAR more difficult to drive with an economical style, than when not towing. I suspect it's not worth trying, next time I'll experiment with cruise control. As soon as you lift the right foot off, you slow down very quickly.

Just for the record the caravan reduced the mpg from about 50 to 33mpg on the car's computer (without cruise control), it's a V70 2.4D
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 22:55   #20
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykey View Post
Neither would I, but you can drive MORE economically at any speed.

I've just towed my caravan from Sheffield to Northumberland and found that it's FAR more difficult to drive with an economical style, than when not towing. I suspect it's not worth trying, next time I'll experiment with cruise control. As soon as you lift the right foot off, you slow down very quickly.

Just for the record the caravan reduced the mpg from about 50 to 33mpg on the car's computer (without cruise control), it's a V70 2.4D
o sod it ill have to go back to a TRACTOR 18 to 20 mpg with the van on