Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

URGENT newbie V70 buying advice

Views : 3211

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 14:58   #1
jackthehat.co.uk

Default URGENT newbie V70 buying advice

Hi folks, I have put down a £100 deposit on a 2002 V70 D5 S Auto. I am due to collect the car on Thursday morning this week but now I am getting worried about possible pitfalls. It is a private sale and the car has done 93,000 miles. It comes with a full service history (all by Volvo except last service) and 12 months MOT. I had a quick look round the car and it drove very nicely on the test drive but here's my question:

Before I hand over the rest of the cash what are the absolutely essential things I should look out for?

Everything electrical inside the car seems to work including the climate control. The auto gearbox works in all gears and kicks down OK and seems smooth. There are no nasty rattles or clunks from the suspension. The owner seems like an honest man. I can't see any evidence of accident damage or any dodgy paint jobs. I will be doing an HPI check before I collect it too. Apart from getting an RAC inspection is there anything really obvious I could look for myself?
jackthehat.co.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 15:05   #2
DSK
C70 T5

It sounds like a straight car, but as you are HPI'ng the cars that is a plus and the RAC inspection will be worth the money - they always highlight things that most people will miss or won't know about.
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 15:16   #3
jackthehat.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
It sounds like a straight car, but as you are HPI'ng the cars that is a plus and the RAC inspection will be worth the money - they always highlight things that most people will miss or won't know about.
Thanks, the only thing that grieves me about the RAC inspection is that it is £185 and if they tell me that the car has a fault I will be losing £185 + £100 deposit + 2 trips to Edinburgh (160 miles away from me). Alternatively, if I do buy it and find it has a bad fault I could probably resell it for at least what I paid for it back home.

I was just hoping some of you experts could give me one or two major things to look at that I haven't already thought of. I forgot to get on my back and look under the car so I will do that when I pick it up although I am not sure what I'll be looking for apart from oil leaks.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 17:02   #4
SteveTDCi

if you HPi it try and find out the previous registration number, I don't think the HPi would cover it from when it was new.
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 19:35   #5
jackthehat.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
if you HPi it try and find out the previous registration number, I don't think the HPi would cover it from when it was new.
How do you know it has a previous reg number?
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 21:26   #6
michron11

Thumbs up

what about timing belt + tensioners + water pump have they been changed?????????????????????? work this into the price

D5 V70 Geartronic 53 plate
michron11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 22:05   #7
SteveTDCi

I don't ... I read the post quickly and read private sale as private plate !, ignore what I said.
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 22:17   #8
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

The RAC report should highlight any worrys about the car.
Check also the service record and look for timing belt changes and that this included tensioners and associated bits..

Also, don't you think it is a bit late to be posting now for advice and tips with you having selected, paid a deposit and ordered an RAC report??
Sounds a bit like closing the stable door with the horse galloping off into the distance..!

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 22:51   #9
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthehat.co.uk View Post
Thanks, the only thing that grieves me about the RAC inspection is that it is £185 and if they tell me that the car has a fault I will be losing £185 + £100 deposit + 2 trips to Edinburgh (160 miles away from me). Alternatively, if I do buy it and find it has a bad fault I could probably resell it for at least what I paid for it back home.

I was just hoping some of you experts could give me one or two major things to look at that I haven't already thought of. I forgot to get on my back and look under the car so I will do that when I pick it up although I am not sure what I'll be looking for apart from oil leaks.
A good number of years ago, I used a company called ABS who do vehicle inspection like the AA/RAC, only used them as they were cheaper and I was a student spending all my several years of savings on a BMW. Thats cost me about £200 IIRC. Anyway, I had a look at the car before the inspection and just found a minor leak on the g/box. However, the inspection showed the sides of the car had been re-painted to a high level at some point, but no damage such as filler etc or any replacement body parts were present - so probably resprayed due to jealousy scars when new-ish. So the inspections can be very useful and IMO, you'll probably not loose out if you are spending a lot of money as it may save you ££££ in bills or it could prove to be a decent buy .....

I don't know anything about the D5's so thats why I left the technical aspects to those in the know.
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 22:51   #10
DaveMitch

jackthehat,

Check auto fluid colour & smell; if black & /or smells burnt, walk away. Look inside the rocker cover for evidence of sludge build up ( this may prove difficult due to the 'thingy' fixed to prevent god knows what???????????; again walk if there is any evidence.
Plus all the usual; electric seats,, elec windows ( front/rear) stereo, cruise,acc etc.
+ , as mentioned, factor in a new timing belt as soon as ( due @ 96k...........allow approx 4 hundred) !!!

Dave
DaveMitch is offline   Reply With Quote