Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 - Looking to buy one, need advice

Views : 2449

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 13:51   #21
sbk1972

How did you diagnose your issue ? Ive been doing some searches on this forum and downloaded a tremendous document called C70 full details. pdf
which goes into great detail about the roof.
sbk1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 13:59   #22
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredGraham View Post
Hi sbk1972
Just enquiring, is your T5 auto or manual? I own a 2006 C70 T5 SE Auto Lux but it is registered before 23 March. Manual as far as I know the tax was the same, but the automatic's tax had a £200+ jump into the next group, ouch!
Fred
Yes, that £16/month's a killer
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 14:10   #23
FredGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Yes, that £16/month's a killer
Hi Bonefishblues
Never really thought about like that,but all the £'s count when health issues prevent you earning a decent income!
Fred
FredGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 14:50   #24
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredGraham View Post
Hi Bonefishblues
Never really thought about like that,but all the £'s count when health issues prevent you earning a decent income!
Fred
But of course if that nth degree of economy is key, anything with a thirst like a T5 mightn't be on Page 1 (or 2, 3, 4 or 5 for that matter )

I'm fine because third car and so on, but I do think that behind that £550 there are some cracking low-priced cars for people who can get over the psychological barrier it represents, iyswim.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 15:07   #25
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

In terms of engine, the 2.5 "T5" engine in your C70, it is the same as that used in the MK2 Ford Focus ST, as well as the more recent smaller Volvos e.g the C30, S40, V50 and C70.

You can get an older, physically larger variant of the 2.5T engine in the old "P2" Volvos (S60/V70/S80/XC70/XC90) but they are packaged differently and were running 208bhp, completely different turbo-charger and exhaust manifold design as well.

The "T5" (2.5) unit in your car can also be found in these other models (though just badged 2.5T, not T5)

- P3 Volvo S80
- P3 Volvo V70
- P3 Volvo XC70
- Volvo V40 hatchback
- Ford Mondeo
- Ford Kuga
- Ford S-Max
- Ford Focus ST

The newer instances of the 2.5 engine in the above cars (and your C70) all run 2x auxiliary belts and 2x auxilary tensioners, wheres the older 2.5T (and all older volvo 5 cylinder engines) only ran 1 aux belt and tensioner.

Last edited by T5R92011; Jul 2nd, 2020 at 15:12.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 15:07   #26
FredGraham

Quote:
But of course if that nth degree of economy is key, anything with a thirst like a T5 mightn't be on Page 1 (or 2, 3, 4 or 5 for that matter )

I'm fine because third car and so on, but I do think that behind that £550 there are some cracking low-priced cars for people who can get over the psychological barrier it represents, iyswim.
Hi Bonefishblues
Didn't really know about the mpg on a T5. Previous car was a C70 2.0ltr Coupe 2001, previous to that an Audi A4 2.4ltr saloon. Thought Volvo gave a lot of car for the money but wanted something with the oomph the Audi had. I would think it will still be £225 more for each year you own the car but still the same mpg.
Fred
FredGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 13:04   #27
sbk1972

Good morning. Well I'm sitting in a 06 c70 t5. I'm on the ferry back from Isle of Wright.

Okay, so the car was a little more rough than I had hoped. It hasn't been cleaned for a long time and I question the maintenance schedules. After looking around it I decided not to buy it but renegotiated and I paid 900 quid for it.

Roof.
When I try and open the roof the windows drop and nothing else. I then try to close the roof and I can hear a noise in the back like something is returning and then windows go back up. It looks like the boot doesn't open at the roof end. Thoughts?

Abs light isn't on, the airbag light is. I will do a code read on nthwt later. The big red I is on too so I'm assuming that comes on when ever there is a fault.
Thoughts?

Gearbox.
When stationery in N, when I slip it into D when warm it clonks in, quite some force too. There is no slipping through the gears, both in auto or tiptrojic mode. Just that initial N to D... Whacks into gear. I reckon it needs a good x2 gearbox oil flush. Thoughts?

I can't stress how filthy this car is. I've taken so wipes and wiping steering wheel the amount of dirt is incredible. I'm OCD so will clean all this up

New tyres, new disks, how all wheels curbed. Paint needs mopping. A few scrapes around it which I will see what I can do

Headlights need a mop too

In the engine bay, dirty, and the inlet pipe from the grill into the inlet needs replacing unless black duck tape is volvos piping of choice lol

S I'm. C60 owner, I reckon I have a long journey ahead but I feel the car is worth it.

Simon

Last edited by sbk1972; Jul 3rd, 2020 at 13:06.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbk1972 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 14:32   #28
zapcity1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1972 View Post
Good morning. Well I'm sitting in a 06 c70 t5. I'm on the ferry back from Isle of Wright.

Okay, so the car was a little more rough than I had hoped. It hasn't been cleaned for a long time and I question the maintenance schedules. After looking around it I decided not to buy it but renegotiated and I paid 900 quid for it.

Roof.
When I try and open the roof the windows drop and nothing else. I then try to close the roof and I can hear a noise in the back like something is returning and then windows go back up. It looks like the boot doesn't open at the roof end. Thoughts?

Abs light isn't on, the airbag light is. I will do a code read on nthwt later. The big red I is on too so I'm assuming that comes on when ever there is a fault.
Thoughts?

Gearbox.
When stationery in N, when I slip it into D when warm it clonks in, quite some force too. There is no slipping through the gears, both in auto or tiptrojic mode. Just that initial N to D... Whacks into gear. I reckon it needs a good x2 gearbox oil flush. Thoughts?

I can't stress how filthy this car is. I've taken so wipes and wiping steering wheel the amount of dirt is incredible. I'm OCD so will clean all this up

New tyres, new disks, how all wheels curbed. Paint needs mopping. A few scrapes around it which I will see what I can do

Headlights need a mop too

In the engine bay, dirty, and the inlet pipe from the grill into the inlet needs replacing unless black duck tape is volvos piping of choice lol

S I'm. C60 owner, I reckon I have a long journey ahead but I feel the car is worth it.

Simon
Great write up Simon.

The cleaning and tidying is all effort and some cash and it sounds like you're up for the challenge.

Gearbox - I'm no expert, but ATF changing and resetting adaptions sounds a good start point. I don't know if a TCM software update would be useful also? I think crashing into D can be a sticking solenoid or valve which can be expensive.

Roof - Hopefully just a cheap part once youve identified the issue. Scares most people though!

The 'I' comes on for all messages, so the code reading should get you on the right track to fix the ABS issue.

You've got quite a few quid in the bank to rectify, so hopefully there is nothing too expensive.

Sounds like you have the will and nouse to get yourself a nice car in the end, so good luck and keep us informed.
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 14:49   #29
zapcity1

Quote:

Good point about the psych barrier. My cars are all high tax band, but given that I suffer very low depreciation, the overall costs are still very low compared to running a £30/year French sh*tbox and 60% 3-year depreciation.

Saying that, a new C4 Cactus is £150/year, so still 50% of what my XC70 costs.

However, that jump from band K to L is a hell of step for you C70 auto guys!

Last edited by zapcity1; Jul 3rd, 2020 at 14:57.
zapcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 14:54   #30
sbk1972

So, im home now. Went past a mate who MOTs cars. Seems fine underneath, bushes seem ok.

Its been painted and I reckon I will need to mop some of it. I rang up that cayman garage about the roof, plot out a plan b / c in the event I cant fix the roof. !68 to diagnose and then they will tell me how much I need to spend. Christ. I will herefore do this myself.

Ive noticed on the window switches that I have a button that drops all the windows, so Im assuming the up switch is for all the windows to go up yes ? Well the down button works, but the up button doesnt. When I press up I can hear the door locks flicker and the little red led flash ? So Im wondering if that issue is preventing the roof, as a safe mech.

Thoughts ?