Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advise on purchasing a second hand V70 (2.5 142hp B5252FS)

Views : 970

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2020, 20:50   #11
marcb
Master Member

I don't dispute what you say John but I personally wouldn't pay several thousand pounds for a 20 year old or older car.

I would say they are not green as they have high emissions, and fuel consumption can be terrible around town (about 15mpg for our 2.5T geartronic).

At that age various parts start to perish and deteriorate too.

I agree on buying an older car - just not that old and spending a but more. Mind you I've never paid more than £3,500 for a car (our current V70 - bought at 8 years old with 75,000 miles) but that can still get you a much newer Volvo hopefully with something more modern than a cassette or CD player.
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 22:22   #12
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
I don't dispute what you say John but I personally wouldn't pay several thousand pounds for a 20 year old or older car.

I would say they are not green as they have high emissions, and fuel consumption can be terrible around town (about 15mpg for our 2.5T geartronic).

At that age various parts start to perish and deteriorate too.

I agree on buying an older car - just not that old and spending a but more. Mind you I've never paid more than £3,500 for a car (our current V70 - bought at 8 years old with 75,000 miles) but that can still get you a much newer Volvo hopefully with something more modern than a cassette or CD player.
Neither would I, but from what 'Radler' said, £2-3K appears to be the going rate in Germany! As mentioned, I only paid £550 for my car four years ago. That was as a trade sale from a dealer with 118K up. I must admit that I would blanch at 15 MPG; my car has returned 29.5 over 12K miles, which I consider perfectly acceptable for the size of car and 2 MPG better than my previous 745.

Regards, John.
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 11:14   #13
amazondean
amazondean

I think both of you have good points and similar in your thinking! Neither of you are prepared to lose thousands. I have always gone on the basis that I tried to get the cheapest way of transporting myself without having something that looks daft! which led me to buying my 850 TDI estate 12 years ago for £1200!! I still own it now. It delivers around 50mpg average and has cost me no more than £1000 in all maintenance over this 12 years. The value is still around £1500 and still looks good.

Although I have always tried to buy Cars on the cheap, (the more you do it the more skilled you get at it, sometimes making a few quid buying and selling the odd one too) as you get older it becomes less important to do it so cheap. I am now delving into the early cross country model, as I really like the style, but cheap to run they may not be. Although I still struggle to part with much more than a thousand pound for a car regardless! The first cross country I bought is a 2000 mk1, it has been owned from new with one owner and maintained at Volvo. He spent £18000 in the first 17 years of its life maintaining it and that is just the invoices I had. I bought it for £800 and spent £250 sorting new rear springs and a damper. It drives and looks like a 5 year old car but I am under no illusion that this car might cost me to keep it on the road as these models are quite complex. However values are now starting to rise, as there are only little more than a handful left on the road. I have since bought two more!!

there is something special about driving round in a vehicle that has nearly disappeared from our roads due to age, I used to drive amazons as my daily driver not that long ago, but they became too valuable and spares were getting too expensive so I cashed in and moved to a cheaper model to buy and maintain. It is great to own and drive something so rare.

Last edited by amazondean; Jul 5th, 2020 at 11:18.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 13:47   #14
marcb
Master Member

My main point is that once cars reach old age, spending a lot of money on them as you often have to do to fix things doesn't increase their value unless they hold other value such as classic/mint or sentimental value. After all, many others at this age will have been scrapped because they aren't worth repairing. The base requirement for any car sale is an MOT and no major faults unless sold to fix.

The other point is that they can be expensive to run, although the 15mpg I noted is for urban driving - it's far better on a motorway run. I almost managed to drive from London to Preston and back on a full tank recently.
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 15:39   #15
amazondean
amazondean

One of my points I made is that newer cars are equally as expensive to keep on the road. It just feels more justified when they are newer because the car may be worth more at that perticular time. Although it's not long before their value plummets. 👍
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 17:18   #16
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazondean View Post
One of my points I made is that newer cars are equally as expensive to keep on the road. It just feels more justified when they are newer because the car may be worth more at that perticular time. Although it's not long before their value plummets. 👍
That is true. Conversely, parts for 'old' cars usually come at 'new' car prices, which can make them appear to cost disproportionately more to run than their modern counterparts. Whichever way you slice it, it's hard to live a champagne lifestyle on lemonade money!

Regards, John.
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 17:21   #17
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
My main point is that once cars reach old age, spending a lot of money on them as you often have to do to fix things doesn't increase their value unless they hold other value such as classic/mint or sentimental value. After all, many others at this age will have been scrapped because they aren't worth repairing. The base requirement for any car sale is an MOT and no major faults unless sold to fix.

The other point is that they can be expensive to run, although the 15mpg I noted is for urban driving - it's far better on a motorway run. I almost managed to drive from London to Preston and back on a full tank recently.
My 1997 V70R will do 25 mpg mix of town/rural road driving. Even constant traffic in town it'll return 20+. 15 is dreadful and it's what I used to get some 3 years back before changing all vac lines and 02 sensors.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 23:03   #18
marcb
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1970 View Post
My 1997 V70R will do 25 mpg mix of town/rural road driving. Even constant traffic in town it'll return 20+. 15 is dreadful and it's what I used to get some 3 years back before changing all vac lines and 02 sensors.
It's a 2005 2.5 low pressure turbo petrol with the geartronic box and if driven exclusively in the 20mph boroughs we are in with all the many speed bumps it is just chronic, or at least that's what the onboard computer says. On the plus side we don't use it much and when we do the load carrying capacity is often great.

It seems to be running very well and I've had the codes read recently but maybe it does need some attention but this is the wrong section for this model.
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 23:14   #19
marcb
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazondean View Post
One of my points I made is that newer cars are equally as expensive to keep on the road.
Well in day to day costs unless buy something expensive with a huge engine, all the costs come down with efficient newer petrol/hybrid models especially if you are in London - tax, fuel consumption, parking permits, discounts/exemptions from road charging, possibly insurance and probably maintenance. An electric car?

The real trade off is the purchase price vs the higher costs. It's like replacing an old boiler.