Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

change wheels front to back !

Views : 651

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 11:02   #1
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default change wheels front to back !

hi all
i have been putting michelin energy tyres on my 940 TDI for many years now at about 23000 miles covered i change front wheels to the back is this a job you guys woud recommend i get about 45000 miles out of all 4 tyres then replace all 4 at same time also i seem to get a good deal from tyre garage IE. ATS. all comments welcome!
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 11:57   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I normally try and replace in pairs, putting the front wheels at the back and then using the new tyres for the front.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 17:24   #3
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
I normally try and replace in pairs, putting the front wheels at the back and then using the new tyres for the front.
That's interesting as some people reckon that the new rubber should go on the back to even out braking grip. Perhaps it depends on which end is driven.

FWD cars usually wear out the front tyres long before the rears, which are only there to keep the fuel tank off the ground, whereas the mileage differential with rear-wheel drive is less as one end steers and the other propels.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 21:40   #4
Jebus
VOC Member

Conventional wisdom has always been new tyres on the back to help braking grip and reduce the chances of oversteer.
It Might have started back in the day of drum brakes all-round, crossply tyres and apply less in modern times with significantly better tyres and modern stability control systems but it is still sound advise, better tyres on the back will help the rear grip better under heavy braking reducing the chance of the back end wanting to come around, reduce lift-off oversteer and stop the rear spinning up in the wet etc.

Yes proper driving technique/driving to conditions etc all reduce risks like this but for that time something unexpected happens every little helps and the rear having a lot less weight on it means it will always have less grip.

Could also look at tyre rotations, which will even out the wear and mean that time between changing tyres is longer but you do 4 at a time

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 23:30   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi all
i have been putting michelin energy tyres on my 940 TDI for many years now at about 23000 miles covered i change front wheels to the back is this a job you guys woud recommend i get about 45000 miles out of all 4 tyres then replace all 4 at same time also i seem to get a good deal from tyre garage IE. ATS. all comments welcome!
If you look in your handbook Jim you may find Volvo recommend it every 12k miles or you may find it's no longer recommended.

It's one of those things where i think it's down to personal preference, also if you do continue to do it, i'd suggest doing it at 12k miles instead of 23k so that the wear takes place more evenly across all 4 tyres.

It will pay dividends in more consistent handling/roadholding.

As for your choice of tyre, i've found many tyres get different reviews in different parts of the country, generally Michelins seem to get good reviews round the Midlands and Pirellis, Falkens and similar seem not to.
Round this neck of the woods, the opposite seems to be the case in general. Having driven most of the mainland at some point or another, i can definitely say the road surfaces can vary considerably from one county to the next and a tyre that grips and performs well in one area isn't as good in another.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 06:46   #6
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi all
Morning JP, Your 'good deal' is probably because Michelin are their parent co.

In my opinion,for what it is worth,Michelin are a Very Good All Round Tyre,maybe not outstanding at anything in particular,but over the years I have never been let down by them,on and off road.

Regards,Keith.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 07:30   #7
Dippydog
Premier Member

FWIW I saw a TV programme a few years ago that stated that while the ideal was to change all 4 tyres at once if you were replacing just two then the new rubber should go on the undriven wheels.The reasoning was that if you put new tyres on the driven wheels the extra grip could then "overpower" the undriven end,so putting them on the undriven wheels was the safer option.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 08:02   #8
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Best/grippiest tyres should always be fitted to the rear to minimise the risk of oversteer.
https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/car-tyres
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 15:29   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

No 100% best tyres at the front. The front wheels do most of the braking and point you in the right direction. All the rear wheels do is put the power down.

In very slippy conditions you can drive with near to no grip at the rear and good grip up front. Turn that the other way around and you will head directly into the first wall you see.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 17:38   #10
Dippydog
Premier Member

That's the gist of what the programme I saw was saying that grippier tyres on the rear[of a rwd car]could outstrip the performance of the less grippy front tyres which of course are doing the steering.I'm no tyre expert or educated in dynamics merely stating for debate what this programme was pointing out.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post: