Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Faraday bag for non-keyless?

Views : 6619

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 09:45   #1
PhilipT5

Default Faraday bag for non-keyless?

Having the basic R-Design car I don't have keyless entry, but obviously it is still keyless start.
Having read some of the posts on here, is it worth still getting a Faraday bag (or simple tin!) to keep the keys in at night or doesn't it matter for just keyless start?
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 09:53   #2
badonkadonk

Pretty sure it's not required, as unlocking\disabling alarm requires button press on the fob. I'm in the same position (S90 R-design) and I'm viewing the lack of keyless entry as a small benefit in this case.
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 10:03   #3
James77

I have keyless entry, waving your foot under the tailgate to open/close I find useful. The rest I could do without.

Keyless is an unnecessary feature, more than happy to press a button.

Had many keyless start cars and never felt the need for a faraday pouch for them. I think you're covered there.
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 10:21   #4
Beavis
Premier Member

having read about the chap on here who had his brand new XC60 nicked - which he thinks was via a signal repeater - ie standing near his front door with a device which picks up and repeats the key signal until it reaches the car i've started keeping my key in an Illy coffee tin.

yes its a PITA and noisy retrieving it each time i need it, but occasionally my car is only 4' from the house front door so don't fancy taking the risk.

i did look at the Faraday bags, but read some of them wear through pretty quick and are then useless, plus thought if i am out with the key in my pocket, i'll be active and far enough from the car to (hopefully) avoid a thief following me to capture the signal.
ps - i've the momentum pro which will unlock by touching the door handle with key in pocket.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 10:21   #5
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipT5 View Post
Having the basic R-Design car I don't have keyless entry, but obviously it is still keyless start.
Having read some of the posts on here, is it worth still getting a Faraday bag (or simple tin!) to keep the keys in at night or doesn't it matter for just keyless start?
Keyless start works differently to keyless entry and isn't vulnerable to the so-called relay attack that thieves use to steal cars with keyless entry.

No Faraday pouch or tin required.
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 11:19   #6
crashbarrier

Our V90 CC is the first car we've had that's got keyless entry. I'm growing to like it and now moan when I have to fish out my BMW key to open the doors(it has got keyless start). The tailgate function I always forget about and just use the handle.
Cautious of the potential threat of key cloning I got two 'Faraday' pouches from Amazon that were cheap and work perfectly. Even holding the bag up to the car or placing on the key sensor in the centre console in the car doesn't get sensed. Plus it tidies up the hall table which was littered with various keys.

Faraday Bag
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 11:41   #7
PhilipT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
Keyless start works differently to keyless entry and isn't vulnerable to the so-called relay attack that thieves use to steal cars with keyless entry.

No Faraday pouch or tin required.
Cheers, that's what I thought but wanted to check. Had keyless on my old car but never used it too much anyway.
Still susceptible to theft, but at least its one less way to worry about
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 11:49   #8
jonnyu

I have a Faraday bag and I have key-less entry.
To be honest it works very well in the first few weeks but then it rapidly wears out and it stops blocking the signal.
At the beginning, if I had the key in side the Faraday bag, the car wouldn't open or start.
It still reduces the range the signal works but it does not block it completely anymore.
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 14:56   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Even without keyless entry you are at risk, car thieves now have electronic boxes that intercepts the signal from a key fob as you walk away and lock your car, then they can open the car and drive away.
If you see anyone acting strangely hanging around when you leave your car be suspicious.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 15:12   #10
m2srt

Since reading the post about the stolen xc60, I have been using a Faraday Pouch for both our cars. Once you get used to them it's not that bad especially considering that mine came with a 2nd (non Faraday pocket ) to tuck your house keys into.

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m2srt For This Useful Post: