Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 321867

Replies : 3013

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2012, 13:57   #11
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Smile

Fitted my Magnefine steering filter last night, well it was badged Raybestos, sounds like Fraybentos or Asbestos. I unbolted the return line form the rack, put the hose in a vice and cut the hose 3 inches up from the rack and removed a few inches where the filter will live. There wasn't enough room at the top of the hose next to the cam cover for the filter to sit comfortably. Tightended it all down with Jubilee/banjo clips awaiting the cambelt/idlers replacement to arrive. BTW, you may have seen people on-line hacksawing these filters in half to see how much crud they have collected from their gearbox or steering. You don't have to hacksaw it open, it just unscrews to reveal the magnet and the paper filter inside.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadeTek For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 01:25   #12
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Thumbs down

Replaced the timing belt, idler and tensioner this evening. Not fun at all with that VVT cam going out of position. Took me hours to do but managed not removing the crank pully and slip the timing belt behind it. Cranked it by hand a few times and all seemed OK. Fired it up and all was well. Looked under car, pool of something under there and dripping down. Shut it all down and traced it to leaking new Magnefine filter. It is power steering fluid leaking from the seam where it screws together. Too dark and late just now to take it all out so I'll look at it later.

Old Mar 29th, 2012, 01:37   #13
LordSVS
Volvo Geek

I did not vehicle do anything vehicle wise (probably due to the fact I don't own a vehicle...yet haha), but I did have a BBQ while doing some gardening work!

Scott
LordSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 09:08   #14
littonlad

I fitted a new pre-cat lambda sensor in my V70.

I can remove the bit of black tape thats covering the warning light now...
littonlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 20:33   #15
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Unhappy

I discovered what caused the Magnefine filter to leak. Me unscrewing it and not realising that it has a seal which is hidden in a seam in the upper lid beside the magnet. I refitted it and also wrapped some PTFE tape around the threads AND welded it shut by melting the plastic at the seam so it can't possibly leak or unscrew again. I also hoovered out the airfilter box which was full of dust and I'm still not sure whether my front wiper motor is still too noisey. I'll post the noise on here for an opinion later.

Old Apr 1st, 2012, 22:30   #16
mrc1501
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
I see this forum doesn't have a "what I did today" thread which is a happy dumping ground of those wishing to tell all what they achieved recently....
Absolutely sweet **** all! Managed to skin my knuckles trying to remove the rear anti roll bar bushes while in leaving the bar in situ..........don't mention the rear drop links that had to be destroyed just to get the bl**dy things off.......

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 23:50   #17
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Hello ShadeTek, Please tell me if I got this right. When prepping for a cam belt change you rotate the engine's crank pulley clockwise 1/4 turn past the point when the marks align. Then you turn it backwards (anti-clockwise) to where the marks align. My question to you is: What went wrong? I was under the impression this procedure set the VVT solenoid to a mechanical zero. Thanks for answering. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 00:59   #18
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Hello ShadeTek, Please tell me if I got this right. When prepping for a cam belt change you rotate the engine's crank pulley clockwise 1/4 turn past the point when the marks align. Then you turn it backwards (anti-clockwise) to where the marks align. My question to you is: What went wrong? I was under the impression this procedure set the VVT solenoid to a mechanical zero. Thanks for answering. Kira
What I used to do on my 850 was line up the crank mark, which should then have both the cam marks lined up. I would then CUT the belt off, scary point of no return moment, remove it then squeeze the new belt on, keep the belt tight from the crank up round the intake cam and then onto the exhaust cam trying not to move anything. Once it was all lined up and the belt was in place, I would pull the pin on the belt tensioner. Turn the crank by hand a few times and if nothing clunked, I was half-way there.

I used this same technique on the V70 VVT. I lined the cams up with the timing mark, scored the crank pully with a screwdriver, in line with the inner wing so I could re-aligne it in case it moved, I couldn't see the crank mark as I left the aux pully on and squeezed the belt up round the back of it around the three alloy lugs, kept the belt tight up the front to the intake cam only to find the cam had moved!...EEEK. This is when my anxiety started. The intake cam is very easy to move anti-clock-wise as it is on a dog-lock mechanism, like the pedals of a bike if you know what I mean? I re-aligned the cam by turning it clockwise again and it lined up. The exhaust cam also moved fairly easy and I had to re-aligne it too. I would recommend tie-wrapping the cams together at their nearest point to stop them moving.

In answer to your question, do you turn it clockwise then anti-clockwise, I would say no. There is no mention of this in the Haynes manual either. The way the belt came off the intake cam was locked into the clockwise postion so it hit a stop position and could go no further without meeting some resistance. So you would have to re-do your set up if you did it that way. I may be wrong and there is a further adjustment I don't know about, but it worked so far for me although my V70 has not been taken for a good drive yet as it is not road legal. It does get up to temperature on the drive with no dash errors or bent valves. Let me know how you get on Kira.

Last edited by ShadeTek; Apr 2nd, 2012 at 01:17.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:10   #19
Mikethelaserman

Default Towbar

You ***CAN*** fit a towbar without taking the bumper off, 'cos that is what I did today.
It is a STRUGGLE though, so if you know how to get the bumper off without damaging the parking sensor wiring, then it might be better to do it that way.

Thanks to Hymerbeliever for the towbar : fits nicely.
Mikethelaserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:12   #20
Thom12
Master Member

I made a start on the revision. 4 months from now and i have a two hour oral exam with someone who can ask me anything he likes about my job. Apparently there is around a 40% pass rate and i don't intend joining the other 60.

Apart from that i gave the car a quick wash and took it a wee run. Also got the service light on! 102,000 and still pulling like a train.