Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06> / C30 '07-'12 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

S40 / V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06> / C30 '07-'12 General Forum for the S40 / V50 '04> / C70 '06> /C30 '07> models.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 T5 Starting problem

Views : 1328

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 13:34   #21
FunkyMelon
Master Member
 

Last Online: Today 20:56
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: South
Default

Can you tell us the codes? I can't make out anything from that video on Flickr?

Is the pump a brand new pump? I know it was working before and has started with it but is it still? Voltages OK? Can you hear it working?

What does the car actually do? Is it dead as a dodo? Does it crank/splutter but won't fire?

EDIT: Sorry, I've asked this already and you've already answered

Can you hear the started engage?
__________________
2006 Volvo S40 T5 SE Sport

Last edited by FunkyMelon; Sep 19th, 2019 at 13:36.
FunkyMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 13:44   #22
domhart10
Volvo S40
 
domhart10's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:31
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chichester
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Can you tell us the codes? I can't make out anything from that video on Flickr?

Is the pump a brand new pump? I know it was working before and has started with it but is it still? Voltages OK? Can you hear it working?

What does the car actually do? Is it dead as a dodo? Does it crank/splutter but won't fire?

EDIT: Sorry, I've asked this already and you've already answered

Can you hear the started engage?

Yeh man i'l try get hold of the codes. pump is second hand which is why I thought initially that might be the issue but Shem says its fine apparently. Car turns over fine but thats it really.

already offered to buy a new pump this morning but he said that wasnt the issue.

im not sure on the voltages but thats all I got from him at the moment. i'l try and grab those readings and pop those on as well.
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Current: 2009 Volvo S40 T5
Progress Thread: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=271945

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 14:21   #23
FunkyMelon
Master Member
 

Last Online: Today 20:56
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: South
Default

If you don't have any immobiliser messages I'd say it's a fuelling issue.

It's just too coincidental, replaces fuel pump, few days later stops....

Just as a check, compression test? Rules out anything BD Performance could have done? I doubt it's this though tbh, need to see codes.
__________________
2006 Volvo S40 T5 SE Sport
FunkyMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 14:39   #24
domhart10
Volvo S40
 
domhart10's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:31
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chichester
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
If you don't have any immobiliser messages I'd say it's a fuelling issue.

It's just too coincidental, replaces fuel pump, few days later stops....

Just as a check, compression test? Rules out anything BD Performance could have done? I doubt it's this though tbh, need to see codes.
thats what I thought but that video snip is around what you would expect for average fuel pressure and it is working. Still trying to get a bit more info but im pretty sure everything that BD did is fine, they were very thorough with all their work and checks and cleaning and running in etc they even wanted more days to just keep an eye on it. plus I was driving the car for couple weeks then drove it up to shems without a single issue. Started up everytime and drove faultlessly bar the mapping turbo issue.
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Current: 2009 Volvo S40 T5
Progress Thread: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=271945

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 17:07   #25
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!
 
LizardOfBodom's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 11:34
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dublin/Meath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
thats what I thought but that video snip is around what you would expect for average fuel pressure and it is working. Still trying to get a bit more info but im pretty sure everything that BD did is fine, they were very thorough with all their work and checks and cleaning and running in etc they even wanted more days to just keep an eye on it. plus I was driving the car for couple weeks then drove it up to shems without a single issue. Started up everytime and drove faultlessly bar the mapping turbo issue.
Damng, any update on this, Dom? ur sorted or still chasing shadows?
edit - you wrote "car wouldnt turn over" you mean like not even crank turning over? or it goes but not firing up?
__________________
2005 V50 T5AWD M66, Stage1 Hilton tune
E-focus torque mount, E46 bi-xenon retrofit v2 , (also available in PDF form), DTSC fully-off mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 11:33   #26
domhart10
Volvo S40
 
domhart10's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:31
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chichester
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Damng, any update on this, Dom? ur sorted or still chasing shadows?
edit - you wrote "car wouldnt turn over" you mean like not even crank turning over? or it goes but not firing up?
Alright lizard, not yet mate. car turns over fine but doesnt fireup but the guy working on it is quite slow which is frustrating. he reported back last night that he has narrowed it down to an ECU issue. Not entirely sure how an ECU would of suddenly cause this, I was thinking of probably a sensor or some ignition but thats just a guess and im not with the car. I will keep this updated defenitly.
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Current: 2009 Volvo S40 T5
Progress Thread: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=271945

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 12:27   #27
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!
 
LizardOfBodom's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 11:34
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dublin/Meath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Alright lizard, not yet mate. car turns over fine but doesnt fireup but the guy working on it is quite slow which is frustrating. he reported back last night that he has narrowed it down to an ECU issue. Not entirely sure how an ECU would of suddenly cause this, I was thinking of probably a sensor or some ignition but thats just a guess and im not with the car. I will keep this updated defenitly.
damn...
what if its the smae "ECU fried because of map" thing?
__________________
2005 V50 T5AWD M66, Stage1 Hilton tune
E-focus torque mount, E46 bi-xenon retrofit v2 , (also available in PDF form), DTSC fully-off mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 14:38   #28
Markos01
Senior Member
 
Markos01's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 17:26
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: London
Default

Hi Dom, what's then latest on this? Starting issue all fixed?
__________________
2010 C30 T5
Markos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 14:52   #29
domhart10
Volvo S40
 
domhart10's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:31
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chichester
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
Hi Dom, what's then latest on this? Starting issue all fixed?
not yet man, still ongoing issues. dropped shem a message to have a quick check on the ECM as researching around someone had a similar issue ad that was their culprit.

Shems doing some final checks but looking at this as an ECU failure, maybe its been tampered with too much? being flashed back to standard quite a bit ... I have no idea.

Got another ECU on the way where he will copy over the imobiliser data etc to see if we can get that working with the car.
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Current: 2009 Volvo S40 T5
Progress Thread: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=271945

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 15:00   #30
Markos01
Senior Member
 
Markos01's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 17:26
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: London
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
not yet man, still ongoing issues. dropped shem a message to have a quick check on the ECM as researching around someone had a similar issue ad that was their culprit.

Shems doing some final checks but looking at this as an ECU failure, maybe its been tampered with too much? being flashed back to standard quite a bit ... I have no idea.

Got another ECU on the way where he will copy over the imobiliser data etc to see if we can get that working with the car.
Sounds painful but hope it gets resolved ASAP buddy!
__________________
2010 C30 T5
Markos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Markos01 For This Useful Post:
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:09.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.