Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2012 XC60 Water leak in roof

Views : 7621

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2017, 20:56   #1
Joeyjojojnr

Default 2012 XC60 Water leak in roof

Hi, I've been lurking for quite a while, I've had my XC60 for 2 years now and all has been fine with my car till recently. Noticed the other day a wet patch just to the right of the front interior light as well as a very very slow drip coming from the light housing. I removed the passenger side 'A' pillar cover and there was quite a lot of water in the plastic moulding. I pulled down the front of the headlining and noticed a pool of water where the interior light bulges out. There doesn't appear to be any water in the footwell. The car is always parked on a slope with the driver side lower than the passenger side but the front/back level.

Now I have a panoramic roof so I've checked the 2 front drainage pipes for blockages and all is fine and water flows freely. I've also checked the pipes are attached securely. I checked the plastic runners on the sunroof (that push down the wind deflector when closing) and these seem to be the updated design where they don't go all the way to the edge of the sunroof lid. I also checked the windscreen and it seems to be bonded fine, I pushed it from the inside and there's no movement.

I'm a bit stumped now, has anyone any advice what else it could be? I've done a forum search and have found users with similar problems but I've checked all that has been suggested to them. I was thinking maybe the rear drainage pipes are blocked but if they were then the water would just drain through the front ones. Maybe it could be the shark fin aerial but I would have thought the water would appear further back in the roof. Maybe the silver roof rail bolts but they seem secure.

Could the leak be coming from the rubber gasket that's attached round the sunroof opening? can this be removed easily and checked? Could the plastic frame of the sunroof be cracked? I'm going to use the hosepipe on the car this weekend, see if I can see any drips from inside with the headlining down.

My first Volvo ownership was going so well until this :-(
Joeyjojojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 21:33   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojojnr View Post
Hi, I've been lurking for quite a while, I've had my XC60 for 2 years now and all has been fine with my car till recently. Noticed the other day a wet patch just to the right of the front interior light as well as a very very slow drip coming from the light housing. I removed the passenger side 'A' pillar cover and there was quite a lot of water in the plastic moulding. I pulled down the front of the headlining and noticed a pool of water where the interior light bulges out. There doesn't appear to be any water in the footwell. The car is always parked on a slope with the driver side lower than the passenger side but the front/back level.

Now I have a panoramic roof so I've checked the 2 front drainage pipes for blockages and all is fine and water flows freely. I've also checked the pipes are attached securely. I checked the plastic runners on the sunroof (that push down the wind deflector when closing) and these seem to be the updated design where they don't go all the way to the edge of the sunroof lid. I also checked the windscreen and it seems to be bonded fine, I pushed it from the inside and there's no movement.

I'm a bit stumped now, has anyone any advice what else it could be? I've done a forum search and have found users with similar problems but I've checked all that has been suggested to them. I was thinking maybe the rear drainage pipes are blocked but if they were then the water would just drain through the front ones. Maybe it could be the shark fin aerial but I would have thought the water would appear further back in the roof. Maybe the silver roof rail bolts but they seem secure.

Could the leak be coming from the rubber gasket that's attached round the sunroof opening? can this be removed easily and checked? Could the plastic frame of the sunroof be cracked? I'm going to use the hosepipe on the car this weekend, see if I can see any drips from inside with the headlining down.

My first Volvo ownership was going so well until this :-(
you will find the windscreen not bonded properly along the top .. try pushing the screen outwards from inside the car at the top , get someone to look from outside and they will see it move , it should be rock solid ... If I were you I would take it into the dealer in Cardiff , see if they can help you .
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 21:46   #3
Joeyjojojnr

Tried that Clan, pushed out around the city safety sensors and the windscreen is solid. I poured water over the top of the windscreen but can't see any water coming through. I've never had any water running down the inside of the windscreen either.

My car is going in for a service tomorrow so I'll ask for advice then. They may be able to take a quick look as I've left the 'A' pillar covers off and the bolts holding the front of the headlining.
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 22:23   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Tried that Clan, pushed out around the city safety sensors and the windscreen is solid. I poured water over the top of the windscreen but can't see any water coming through. I've never had any water running down the inside of the windscreen either.

My car is going in for a service tomorrow so I'll ask for advice then. They may be able to take a quick look as I've left the 'A' pillar covers off and the bolts holding the front of the headlining.
Try pressing all along the top , the water won't run down the screen, there are quite a few of these around which are loose at the top . You might find you are aware of hearing the outside traffic in front of you too .
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 09:08   #5
mfresh
Nice person

With an MY2012 it is won't be the windscreen - it is almost certainly a problem with one or more of the sunroof drains. Dealer should be able to fix it and modify the tubes so it doesn't happen again for about £75
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 11:05   #6
Joeyjojojnr

Yes Mfresh, I highly doubt it's the windscreen bonding as all the affected cars seem to be 2010 or older. I had toilet paper lining the top of the windscreen lastnight when we had a downpour and it was bone dry this morning.

I checked the front two sunroof drains and they flow freely, water pours out under the car. I've pushed wire down them and there was hardly any gunk inside. I've had the headlining off and watched the tubes as water was poured into the sunroof gutter and there's no leaks. I won't pay the dealer to do something I'm able to do myself.

Car is at the dealers now for a service so I'll see if they have any advice when I pick it up later.
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 12:54   #7
dcw
VOC Member

Quote:
Yes Mfresh, I highly doubt it's the windscreen bonding as all the affected cars seem to be 2010 or older.
Not saying it is or is not your problem - it does sound a strange one!

But don't rule out the windscreen bonding just on age of car. It's an issue across the whole 60 range as is clear on this forum, and I had it on my 2012 V60.

Wasn't really any noticeable movement on windscreen either, but the giveaway on mine was a slight trace of a watermark running down the inside...

I hope you can fix the problem, whatever it is!

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 17:40   #8
mfresh
Nice person

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw View Post

I hope you can fix the problem, whatever it is!

David
Yes I hope so too. Hopefully whatever it is won't be expensive either. I'd be interested to find out what the problem turns out to be when you get to the bottom of it!
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 20:58   #9
Joeyjojojnr

Yeah, I hope so too.

Got the car back now, service technician couldn't see anything obvious and only suggested it could be the windscreen bonding. They quoted £170 just to rebond it and said no to a good will gesture. I think I'll pass Volvo.
I'm going to keep the toilet paper accross the top of the windscreen, see if it gets wet after I get the hosepipe on it.

Good news though, I didn't have any recommendations on my service report, even thought the same garage said my rear trailing arm bushes needed replacing at last years service
The Following User Says Thank You to Joeyjojojnr For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 22:00   #10
dcw
VOC Member

Good approach - you can get a lot of toilet paper to keep soaking/mopping for £170...

Mine was fixed under warranty and I know they were very nervous about doing it in case it broke. Had to check first that Volvo would sub a new windscreen if it did since it was a warranty repair.

The re-bond was successful - ironically though I have just had to have the same windscreen replaced due to a crack, and due to a complete ****-up by Autoglass the insurance ended up agreeing to pay for the main dealer to do the job. Here's hoping they've done it as well with the new one as they did before. They ought to, given what they were paid to do it!

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote