Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2012 XC60 Water leak in roof

Views : 7620

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2017, 13:32   #11
Joeyjojojnr

Heh heh, I think I'll use rolls of Plenty as it will go further :-)

That's a bit of bad luck your windscreen cracking after you got the leak sorted. My windscreen has a crack in it too which I managed to repair myself with resin. If the 'toilet paper test' shows water is leaking through the bond then I'll look to get the screen replaced I think.
Joeyjojojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joeyjojojnr For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 11:15   #12
Joeyjojojnr

Well, I just went out to the car as we had a downpour and this is what I saw:

leak.jpg

I stand corrected, it appears the windscreen has a leak at the top on the passenger side. There may be another behind the city safety sensors as there is another pool of water on the headlining there too but I couldn't see a drip:

leak2.jpg

Looks like I'll be a writing a letter off to Volvo head office (not getting my hopes up though).
The Following User Says Thank You to Joeyjojojnr For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 11:22   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojojnr View Post
Well, I just went out to the car as we had a downpour and this is what I saw:

Attachment 103475

I stand corrected, it appears the windscreen has a leak at the top on the passenger side. There may be another behind the city safety sensors as there is another pool of water on the headlining there too but I couldn't see a drip:

Attachment 103476

Looks like I'll be a writing a letter off to Volvo head office (not getting my hopes up though).
volvo should help with this ... try customer relations , how did the conversation go when they refused good will? they have to send off an e-mail to get this ,not do it instantly verbally . try another dealer .
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 11:53   #14
Joeyjojojnr

Ok I'll give them a go cheers. Would a letter be better or an email? I feel a letter has more weight and is more formal but will take longer to respond to.

I'm wondering whether to use this:

https://www.resolver.co.uk/companies...ontact-details

But looks like it could take longer to get resolved?

When the Volvo garage refused goodwill I said it's a manufacturers defect, it should be repaired FOC. The lady said she'd spoke to Volvo HQ and they said they wouldn't honour it.

I could give Swansea a call, see what they say as I've heard good things about that dealer. Failing that I can try Abergavenny, Stourbridge and Wolverhampton.

Last edited by Joeyjojojnr; Apr 1st, 2017 at 12:01.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 11:55   #15
Thrustyjust

Volvo ignored my phonecalls, my emails and communication to the dealer looking at the problem, so best of luck. Probably some of the worst customer services I have any known from a car manufacturer .
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 12:29   #16
wilbydoughboy

As an owner who has suffered from a very similar problem I found it difficult for Volvo to accept that there is a problem with their fixing of the windscreens. When I first noticed a severe water leak and found it was from the badly fitted windscreen I approached my local dealer who said that there was no recall or any problems with the screens and it was something that they could not repair or help with. I approached Volvo customer services who said that if it was the original fitted factory screen they maybe able to offer a goodwill payment but they would only help if the local dealership was approached first, so no help really. I think you should be able to get a company like Autoglass to remove and refit for under £200 but I have read that Volvo have to have a special procedure for fitting the screens that involves heating to certain temperatures etc so maybe proceeding with an insurance claim would be the best course.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 15:49   #17
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustyjust View Post
Volvo ignored my phonecalls, my emails and communication to the dealer looking at the problem, so best of luck. Probably some of the worst customer services I have any known from a car manufacturer .
What's new ?
You could search this Forum for examples of leaking windscreens, get some 'stats' and then write them a firm but polite letter asking for their response, pointing out that it is a 'known issue'. If they refuse, you could them tell them you will get it repaired at your expense and recover the costs via a County Court 'small claim' - which they can either choose to defend, or ignore - and with your 'evidence' you consider a Judge would grant your claim. The only issue might be whether VUK seek to deflect the claim back to the dealer, but if VUK have refused 'goodwill' it rather undermines this diversion.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 16:37   #18
Thrustyjust

I took photos of the windscreen during removal to show the defect in the primer on the roof surround. Its in the windscreen thread. Showing a defect and my eyes a potentially lethal defect. If we were in the states , Volvo would be told to deal with the whole situation and resolve all windscreens in the affective batch. But not over here. They just bury their heads and ignore. They advise the customer to 'give them your windscreen insurance details so they can get a new screen fitted on your policy' . Like the next batch of issues , such as rear void bushes they used for a Mondeo , which is half the weight of a Volvo and expect at 50k miles for all to pay , or the boost pipes , which were redesigned on the D5 , as not strong enough from build and fail , so the punter (me) has to pay for the complete modified pipework to change a hose at £460 for parts and labour on top. These things are defects , but Volvo ignore this and get away with it. I have no faith in Volvos interest in their customers and sadly I may rant, but it shows. We wont be buying another Volvo , needless to say.
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 20:33   #19
Joeyjojojnr

Update on this, I emailed Volvo UK and they agreed to covering the cost of a windscreen rebond, they also admitted there is a manufacturer fault with certain Volvo's. They wouldn't agree to covering the cost of any windscreen damage though. The Volvo garage did say if the screen was damaged when being removed, they would cover it.

Took the car in today (after a wasted trip a week ago as they couldn't get the windscreen guy in on the day) and got it sorted without any damage. I was very relieved as the windscreen has a DIY repaired crack and when the garage saw it they washed their hands clean of covering any breakages.

What did make me chuckle was when I picked up my car, the garage said they were still trying to contact Volvo UK to confirm they were going to pay for the rebond. The girl said if Volvo UK decline then I will need to pay for it and they can take payment over the phone. I politely declined this and advised her I have written proof Volvo UK will cover the cost.

Glad it's sorted but not very happy with the state of the car when I got it back. dust and bits in the front and dusty fingerprints over the 'A' Pillar covers. Seems if you don't pay for their services they don't bother returning the car in a clean state.
Old May 30th, 2019, 23:52   #20
davss

Default Water started leaking first into driver's footwell...

Hi,

Same problem on my side with a Volvo XC60 2009, no sunroof so no holes.

When parked on a driveway with rear highly elevated on a driveway noticed water in driver's footwell. This has happened twice and removed/dried it then cleaned whatever dirt and leaves were under the bonnet and the footwell stayed dry since. It's been raining for a couple of days now (welcome to Scotland!) and today when started driving a significant amount of water leaked down from the left (nearside) roof light area near the rear mirror. It was dripping badly and can see water inside the light as well. The car was parked with only slightly elevated rear. Usually, when park the car with front elevated there seem to be no leak problem or maybe it's collecting somewhere else and I just don't know about it. I was trying to push the front windscreen while driving but couldn't hear any difference in noise (it's not that safe either). I will need to investigate it further otherwise many showers in front passenger seat are ahead of us. Also, will ring up Volvo UK to see what they say as this is unacceptable and should be case for a recall IMHO - water can affect electrics and thus safety equipment that drives my car when in auto-cruise mode hence could potentially cause a serious accident when something malfunctions in the camera and radar that is driving the car while responsible for keeping a safe distance with cars ahead.

https : // youtu . be /sgLajwFa0_k

Ta,
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6295.jpg (129.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6297.jpg (126.8 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by davss; May 31st, 2019 at 00:30.
davss is offline   Reply With Quote