Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V50 headlight swap

Views : 2696

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 17:04   #11
Filmer Paradise

Hi. Got my teenage daughter to help with the photos, so hope they came out okay.

The headlight photos show how the extra length of the new units pushed out the blue plastic trim ahead of the lens.

One photo shows the difference in the length of the lens part of the unit. I simply swapped the old lenses onto the new reflectors & refitted them.

The second photo shows the modified unit installed. The plastic trim is sitting in correctly.

The units arrived very quickly. Think from the UK?

I ordered the units that PaddyB recommended earlier in the thread.

Just find out which type of bulb you have in your car. Halogens or Xenon etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Filmer Paradise; Sep 22nd, 2019 at 17:20.
Filmer Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 17:07   #12
Filmer Paradise

Old Nov 4th, 2019, 21:25   #13
maxtriksas

Default Photos are gone

Can you reupload these photos? because i am thinking about same upgrade for my volvo v50
maxtriksas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 13:16   #14
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by details143 View Post
Hey Filmer

Interesting [and recent] thread on headlight upgrades, thank you.

Can you advise specifically what you ordered from RetrofitLab please? How helpful were they with the ordering and shipping from the US too?

I'm considering options for levelling up the Fiddy's lights but want to stay legal, MOT friendly and low-key. Can you post any pics from your build or post install?

Thanks Filmer
Not Filmer, but can give you some pointouts aswell as did this retro myself - have a look at link to PDF at my signature - photostory on E46 conversion, both H7 and D2S in second phase, may help you to understand it better.

also - retrofitlab are based in Holland - you are confusing them with TRS, no problems with shipments to EU
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 09:16   #15
maxtriksas

I also bought that those aharon e46 retrofit projectors. It was clean istal without any problems. Light output os much better, but thinking about led, dont want hid cause headlights dont have sprinklers.
Light output with old projectors on wet surface and new on dry surface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191125_165955.jpg (63.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191111_170301.jpg (86.2 KB, 25 views)
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 11:24   #16
Sidonas

If anyone is considering buying these Aharon projectors, I have a pair of used ones (2 months in total) in H7 variety that I could sell for 80 euro shipped within Europe (originally 130 eur + shipping) pm me if interested.
Sidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 11:47   #17
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtriksas View Post
I also bought that those aharon e46 retrofit projectors. It was clean istal without any problems. Light output os much better, but thinking about led, dont want hid cause headlights dont have sprinklers.
Light output with old projectors on wet surface and new on dry surface.
If it makes you feel better, it makes no difference if you use HIDs or LEDs - both are "technically" not legal in that setup but will output similar brightness so you may aswell use whatever you want

good comparison pics - just show how bad OEM projectors are
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 16:35   #18
maxtriksas

That both are illegal i understand, i just want the best light output without big investment. I have a photo from friend which used old projectors and led bulb. Diference was really good, looks much brighter, but not so good in lenght. So combined aharon projector with ledit might be good light output Atached some photos with old projectros and led bulb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo.jpg (179.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg volv6.jpg (218.3 KB, 23 views)
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 09:42   #19
Sidonas

I don't think the LEDs will improve the width. Instead, you will end up sacrificing distance for brightness in front of you.

I am waiting on a pair of OEM projectors from a 2016 Chevy Camaro. I'll post up some pictures mid-january showing how it compares to the H7 Aharon with HID bulbs inside of it.

Last edited by Sidonas; Dec 17th, 2019 at 09:45.
Sidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 17:21   #20
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidonas View Post
I don't think the LEDs will improve the width. Instead, you will end up sacrificing distance for brightness in front of you.

agreed on this - source of light wont affect the beam width - its only determined by projector/lens. Only light intensity/uniformity/colour may change.
Not sure if LED setup will be cheaper than HID one but by all means LED is still better than H7 so yea, its a win win:}