Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pole: the wife's 'marmite' car

Views : 2780

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Marmite car?
I like that 19 42.22%
Do I not like that 26 57.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 9th, 2019, 23:03   #21
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

I like it.

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 01:28   #22
Dippydog
Premier Member

The thing with the original Ka is[if you can find one]to try and stop the thing rusting like stink.The engine was to all intents and purposes an evolution of the old Kent pushrod motor.The StreetKa was heavier and thirstier[although I think had a bigger engine] than the standard and SportKa,basically due to the bracing needed from removing the roof.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 06:58   #23
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
The thing with the original Ka is[if you can find one]to try and stop the thing rusting like stink.The engine was to all intents and purposes an evolution of the old Kent pushrod motor.The StreetKa was heavier and thirstier[although I think had a bigger engine] than the standard and SportKa,basically due to the bracing needed from removing the roof.
The Street KA was the soft top and the Sport KA was the hard top version. The rot issue is their biggest failure especially around the filler cap and rear bumper. The little pushrod lump engine is a wonderful unit if not a little rattle box at times. If you can find a well kept, clean example then I agree it’s a future classic.

TT
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 07:10   #24
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal optimist View Post
I have no doubt the original KA will become collectible. It’s an utterly fabulous drive.
No it won't, they rust too fast to be collected. Don't think I ever saw one more than 5 years old without the filler area rusted out.
Neighbour had one , proclaimed to love it, untill he baught a Magda. Never heard mention of the Karl after.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 08:51   #25
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post
Was it the 1200? Me & my girlfriend hired one in Sicily about 5 years ago & hill starts were all but impossible, it was that bad. Then some time later there was a report on BBC's Watchdog about it, due to the engine mapping for emissions apparently
It was a petrol, 1.2 or 1.3, I can't remember now. From your post it must have been a 1200. The car was so small and light I expected it to be nippy and fun. It was anything but. Flat, gutless, noisy. The car made me smile, right up until the key turned and the engine started 🤣.

My wife moved on to a Mini after that. Chalk and cheese. Cracking car, solid, well built, fun. I don't understand the anger towards the reincarnation of the mini. BMW took a rusty, flimsy car, kept its essence and built it properly. Shame on BMW for building it well 🤔
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 11:31   #26
BrianH
VOC Member

Default Beetle...the good the bad and the .....

My VW, bought second-hand the 1970's, was the air cooled flat four.

The good:

My wife and daughter loved it. though there was confusion as to front boot and back boot after two very slow Morris Minors (914cc side valve and 803cc OHV. I did try a supercharger but the insurance was OTT).

The engine was fool proof, always it always started on the dot.

The paint work ( Tcut never when through) and chrome were the best ever, really deep shines.

The Bad:

The light front end made it dangerous in high winds. (Engine misplaced at the back).

Icy roads with no weight on the front was not safe.

The heating system with its exhaust heat exchanger was liable to leak. Even small amounts of carbon dioxide makes you drowsy.

The 6 volt system meant you could not see anything at night. (special doctors cars had 12v I believe).

My wife and daughter still like beetles!!

BrianH 245 LPG B230E 1989 723 000Mls. and love it.
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 13:14   #27
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I'm afraid I'm with Blackdog on this, the reincarnations of the Beetle, Mini and Fiat 500 just ain't right! I'll let Vauxhall off with the Viva as it's not even trying to look like the old one.
The other Marmite aspect to the OPs car is the colour, when I took the wife out to look for a new car I resorted to walking round as many car dealer forecourts as I could find basically asking 'What about that one?'. We eventually agreed on a KIA CEE'D but not before she had already rejected one, when I ponted out that the car she liked was the same car as the one she dismissed two cars earlier she said 'Yeah, but that one was brown and didn't look right'. We're looking for a new car for her again so any help appreciated, the list of requirements is quite short- 'I want a purple one'.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 14:09   #28
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Fantastic, but I think you need to have an empathy with beetles in general. My late lamented 1.9tdi convertible bug is one of the few cars I really, properly miss. My '72 1200 is another. I currently run a new, new mini, the big bimi mini, BMW triple oil burner and I.ll love it. Almost bought beetle first but finance collapsed!! Actually glad as mini is, I believe, best driving car in it's class, great handling, decent if firm ride and it IS hugely characterful. People either get cars like this or don't but it's a big thumbs up from me.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 16:58   #29
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Funnily enough, we nearly had a mini first, but when we came to pick it up it looked like Stevie Wonder had been driving it and Ray Charles had been fixing it. Needless to say I got the deposit back and I'm now banned from all Sytner garages.

If you love your mini, you should check out manic motorsport. It was started by a very good friend of mine. They're probably the best mini software. He's also headline sponsor for the Mini Challenge series.... Which reminds me, I need to tap him up for some tickets.
HankScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 20:15   #30
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
The thing with the original Ka is The engine was to all intents and purposes an evolution of the old Kent pushrod motor.
That low bonnet line was originally intended to house a 2-stroke engine (the Australian Orbital unit) but they bottled out at the last minute & fitted the OHV Endura-E engine, which was indeed a development of the Kent engine, as a taller OHC unit wouldn't have fitted.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phil1968 For This Useful Post: