Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 HPT or LPT

Views : 1901

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2019, 17:38   #31
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
I thought there was a rule that HPTs have a turbo gauge, as well as the lower stabiliser on the radius arm mounts.

Unfortunately listing as a 'Turbo' is not a good guide as many non-"Turbo" models (LPT) are still listed as Turbo in ads.

Also IMO there is absolutely no benefit in an LPT. It is exactly the same as an HPT, the pressure and power is just limited to a lower level. No benefit in lag, mid range etc. The HPT just goes to 11.
Except I think the reason for the LPT was mainly longevity, less wear and tear. Not calling it a turbo may also have insurance benefits.
The reason is purely marketing to make the 2.3 as responsive as other manufacturers 2.3 engines coming onto the market , i did mention this earlier . Other countries may do it differently of course . There are tax reasons too . and you are probably right about lower insurance .
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 18:46   #32
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
My late (1997/98) LPT has a boost gauge, which just goes to prove that the rules mean nothing (Pace Griston64 about LPTs lacking the gauge).
Are you sure it came from factory like that or that is isn't actually an HPT? Have you measured the boost?

Its certainly possible they did parts bin specials towards the end to use up stock, but the point of the LPT seems to have been to hide that it was a turbo.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 20:38   #33
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Are you sure it came from factory like that or that is isn't actually an HPT? Have you measured the boost?

Its certainly possible they did parts bin specials towards the end to use up stock, but the point of the LPT seems to have been to hide that it was a turbo.
Check against the VIN.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 21:16   #34
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Mileage is of not of great importance really with these cars but service history is. If it has done low miles but not been regularly serviced it is likely to have more issues than a mega miles car that has been well looked after.

Mine is just shy of 185k miles, done 16k miles in just over a year. I have seen them around with well over 200k miles and no engine issues. World's most travelled car is a P1800 with over 3 million miles on it, I have seen a 240 with 600k miles on the clock too.

If you are modifying it then it won't matter which one you get as the turbo is useless for big power, they start blowing hot about 12psi.

The vast majority of them seem to be LPT ones so just get a decent looked after one and you will be fine.
100% this. My car has done 185k, but I'd have it any day over a 100k car. Why? The history file is massive, the previous owners really looked after it (£10k spend in 5 years on it before I got it!!!) and its had so much stuff replaced on it its better than a 100k car whose turbo might go pop due to all the short journeys its been doing (5k max per year on the youngest 940's now), plus the engine wear on short journeys etc etc. Mines had all the suspension, ignition, air con, turbo, rad, etc etc etc replaced so it runs very sweetly. No real evidence of the mileage, even the seats only have a tiny amount of wear on them.

Oh and mines a HPT..............
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 00:12   #35
volvo always
Premier Member

Which engine had the thicker 13mm con rods rather than 9mm?

I thought the late LPT had thicker rods? Which had piston oil squirters?

My LPT runs well and has just over 200k

Thinking of adding an MBC at next insurance renewal in April next year.

James.

Last edited by volvo always; Sep 16th, 2019 at 00:16.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 09:06   #36
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default IS it an LPT?

Quote:

I've just checked the last MoT certificate: the VIN is "YV1945861...". It's badged as a "Classic" and there is definitely no boost adjuster on the turbo so it could well be a "parts-bin special". I haven't measured the boost but it doesn't seem any livelier than my (normally-aspirated) 240GLT.

When I bought it the insurance company didn't know what engine it had and therefore which insurance group it sat in but agreed that the "Classic" badging suggested an LPT. If it is in fact an HPT then I'm going to have to get the insurance cover changed.

Last edited by loki_the_glt; Sep 16th, 2019 at 09:15.
loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 11:11   #37
griston64
Premier Member

Going by the green book your car is an HPT
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 11:13   #38
griston64
Premier Member

See here

Capture.jpg
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 12:55   #39
360beast
Go redblock or go home

How is this thread so long and full of incorrect info!?!?

LPT 3.5psi (I measured mine so I know this is a fact)
Uses a different wastegate actuator which limits it, the actual turbo is physically the same.

HPT 7psi (not 11psi that is the turbo + kit which is around 11/12psi).

Yes LPT will be advertised as a turbo car, this isn't incorrect it still has a flippin turbo!!!

The 13C is ****e for anything over 12psi and in fact I would be reluctant to even take it to that!

The fact that a car is a LPT doesn't mean a seller is lying or wrong advertising it as a turbo as it is still a turbo.

Can we put this to bed now?

Last edited by 360beast; Sep 16th, 2019 at 12:58.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 15:59   #40
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Going by the green book your car is an HPT
Just what I didn't want to read...

Now to try to sort things out with the insurers. This could be interesting (and expensive).

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
900, 940, hpt, lpt, turbo