Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc60 d5 kickdown

Views : 1967

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2019, 07:46   #1
ScubaCollie

Default Xc60 d5 kickdown

Hi All I've just put a deposit down on a really nice looking used XC60 R Design D5 Pro with 21inch wheels and air suspension and collecting on Tuesday.

However one thing is worrying me.

I test drove a non pro D5 a few weeks ago and I'm almost sure when I pressed hard on the throttle it kicked down and had an immediate downshift and loads of power from the bottom end.

However when I test drove this one yesterday I don't think it had much of a kickdown to it but instead seemed to have lot more midrange power that didn't seem to back off the further up the rev range you went??

I'm worried either the gearbox is faulty or one of the turbos is knackered? As understand this has two turbos?

It's don't 9700 miles and is from a main Volvo Selekt dealer.

Should I be concerned?

I won't be able to test drive it again before I pick if back up unless I make another 3 hour round trip today to go and do it?
ScubaCollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 08:11   #2
Ringthane
VOC Member

What year is it? Is it still within warranty?
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 08:15   #3
MikeGMT
VOC Member

One thing that springs to mind is did the car have Polestar optimisation, this can have a marked difference especially on auto transmission cars as it also recalibrates the shift points.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 08:31   #4
ScubaCollie

Hi Guys it's a 68 plate and therefore yes it still has the remainder of the manufacturers warranty.

This one doesn't have Polstar it's just PowerPulse.

Not sure if the other one had it?

I think I still have a photo of the other one can you tell by the reg no?
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 08:33   #5
ScubaCollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
One thing that springs to mind is did the car have Polestar optimisation, this can have a marked difference especially on auto transmission cars as it also recalibrates the shift points.

That's a good question as the other one shifted swiftly as soon as you stepped on it but no different to how my Mrs 220 shifts (but that is quick low down the revs as well) but they boh ran out mid range towards the top end whereas the one I've just bought doesn't seem to have that much of a kickdown but then there is power all the way from the midrange to top end it doesn't seem to back off once it gets going.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 09:41   #6
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaCollie View Post
Hi Guys it's a 68 plate and therefore yes it still has the remainder of the manufacturers warranty.

This one doesn't have Polstar it's just PowerPulse.

Not sure if the other one had it?

I think I still have a photo of the other one can you tell by the reg no?
If it had Polestar they normally have a small badge on the tailgate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaCollie View Post
That's a good question as the other one shifted swiftly as soon as you stepped on it but no different to how my Mrs 220 shifts (but that is quick low down the revs as well) but they boh ran out mid range towards the top end whereas the one I've just bought doesn't seem to have that much of a kickdown but then there is power all the way from the midrange to top end it doesn't seem to back off once it gets going.
Can be difficult to judge nowadays as they are all software driven, the manufactures make small revisions, and when the cars are serviced they sometimes tinker by revising the software.
My previous XC60 was a D4, current car D4 albeit a different model (V90), both the same engine, yet the XC60 always felt a lot more sprightly, maybe different weights are coming into play in my case.

One other thing that may have a bearing on the different characteristics, where both cars driven with the same mode selected, one driven in performance will be totally different from one in comfort mode.

Last edited by MikeGMT; Aug 25th, 2019 at 10:28.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 10:47   #7
Ringthane
VOC Member

There are too many variables.

I wouldn’t worry at all. If there is a difference, you will know Tuesday, but it will either be Polestar or not, a different drive mode, or a simple mechanical issue, like a kick down switch or PowerPulse hose.

My money will be on the drive mode.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 12:38   #8
ScubaCollie

Many thanks all.

I've checked the photos of the other one I had and have every angle apart from the rear right!

Therefore not able to confirm if it was the Polestar or not.

The reg number was ky18 mwx

I put the new one I purchased into Dinamic mode from comfort therefore I don't think it was due to the drive mode settings.

The air suspension and 21" wheels wouldn't have affected that would they as the first one didn't have them but my new one has.

Also if its anything mechanical or hose that would be covered under the manufacturers warranty?
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 13:36   #9
MikeGMT
VOC Member

As Ringthane pointed out there are that many variables, it can be difficult to make a like for like comparison. Comfort mode is different to Dynamic mode, Dynamic mode is different to Dynamic mode with Polestar all with the same engine.

Just look forward to Tuesday and enjoy your new car. If you were unfortunate enough to have any fault it would be covered under the remaining new car warranty.

Put some piccies up when you get it.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 00:01   #10
Haldex
Premier Member

Gearbox has a drive style learning function. Chances are it just has to be reset (put in offroad mode and speed out of it..)

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post: